Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058152 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19065 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:46 pm »

Just finished Red Data Girl (2013) by PA Works. Recommendation: avoid like the plague. PA Works stuff is mostly slice of life with a bit of fantasy element. It's very hit-or-miss. Often they have scripts written by Mari Okada, and those are the better ones, though some people hate Mari Okada, for being overly-dramatic. Well "overly-dramatic" is better than the non-Mari Okada PA Works shows which are "boring as fuck but the background art looks lovely".

Add this seasons Glasslip to that list of pure boring PA Works shows that look lovely. If Glasslip was scripted by Mari Okada, it would probably be much easier to watch, like Nagi no Asukara (2013). I enjoyed that one. Glasslip is that rare show where nothing the fuck happens, yet it's somehow easy to get confused about what did happen since there are too many characters and plot threads. Yeah, boring AND confusing. Not my sweet-spot for a show. At least I never got confused with Red Data Girl about what was what.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19066 on: September 03, 2014, 12:43:08 pm »

And yes I know I am the minority here because people think sexual harassment is hilarious and sexy.

It is why I say I am in the same territory again. I am watching scenes meant to be HILLARIOUS but all I see is terrible people doing terrible things and the show trying to egg me into laughing, which makes it worse. The fact that Takamura pretty much gets away with it... irks me. I honestly thought the scene would play out where he saw the sea creature secretly and decided to eat it anyway and pretend he didn't know.
Not really..? I found it funny, but not.. Sexy. You brain is weird mistah Neo. :v

He doesn't get away with it, afterward they trick him into swallowing a live sea louse whole (ew) and then he excretes it, notices it, and thinks he's cursed. Revenge == Complete. Not to mention the girl who was grabbed nor her boyfriend forget about it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19067 on: September 03, 2014, 12:46:30 pm »

And yes I know I am the minority here because people think sexual harassment is hilarious and sexy.

It is why I say I am in the same territory again. I am watching scenes meant to be HILLARIOUS but all I see is terrible people doing terrible things and the show trying to egg me into laughing, which makes it worse. The fact that Takamura pretty much gets away with it... irks me. I honestly thought the scene would play out where he saw the sea creature secretly and decided to eat it anyway and pretend he didn't know.
Not really..? I found it funny, but not.. Sexy. You brain is weird mistah Neo. :v

He doesn't get away with it, afterward they trick him into swallowing a live sea louse whole (ew) and then he excretes it, notices it, and thinks he's cursed. Revenge == Complete. Not to mention the girl who was grabbed nor her boyfriend forget about it.

It's actually a plot point too! Since the 'curse' causes him to screw up his weight control and he enters a 1st seed world-title match completely exhausted and dehydrated because of it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19068 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:05 pm »

The revenge motif is clear because

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19069 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:33 pm »

It's actually a plot point too! Since the 'curse' causes him to screw up his weight control and he enters a 1st seed world-title match completely exhausted and dehydrated because of it.

WOW, I didn't know the show would keep continuity >_<... I usually assume stupid crud just takes place in another universe.

Nevermind. My entire complaint is retracted.

Also DANG YOU! you could have said "keep watching Neo, trust me"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:55:34 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19070 on: September 03, 2014, 12:55:35 pm »

It was the only way to make the madness stop.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19071 on: September 03, 2014, 12:56:10 pm »

It was the only way to make the madness stop.

I was actually going to continue watching the series, I said I got over it and that in the end... it wasn't THAT bad.

I even finished the fight after the Beach Party.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19072 on: September 03, 2014, 01:00:28 pm »

It just pains me that you somehow manage to make what I find to be a very interesting and compelling show sound like torture.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19073 on: September 03, 2014, 01:24:07 pm »

It just pains me that you somehow manage to make what I find to be a very interesting and compelling show sound like torture.

The only anime I finished that was torture was Peach Girl.

No, I like Hajime No Ippo. It doesn't have such glorious highs that I feel worth noting, so the only thing I state is whenever something catches my attention. As well a LOT of my genuine complaints are rectified later, Ippo being a boxing prodigy but not recognized was mentioned way later twice by his opponents (and they weren't underdog villains either), most of his credible opponents do recognize that Ippo is actually still a frightening boxer. Making his earlier opponents feel more inexperienced.

Other stuff are just triggers because I am watching the series with Prince of Tennis still fresh in my mind... and Prince of Tennis of course burned me because its important lesson that "The joy of playing Tennis is more important then winning, so don't injure yourself" was later reversed... in fact many of its lessons were... culminating with a ultimate lesson which is basically a slap in the face. Which is especially painful because I liked the early sections of Prince of Tennis.

So when a fight in the show has a character basically about to freeken die because they don't want to lose, and even their second is like "No!" I get frustrated (though I'd probably be frustrated anyway). Especially since characters rarely pay for their decisions MOSTLY because if a character had to "pay" for it, the show would be too dark (it alludes HEAVILY to consequences existing though).

As well other stuff is just analysis and me looking at things that are interesting. The fact that injuries barely seem to impact characters and that they rarely treat injuries properly isn't something I will honestly complain about. The fact that credible boxers disappear off the face of the planet after defeated (seriously what happened to Rich guy?) just bugs me but isn't serious.

The show is good, it manages to highlight both boxers. Each fight is tense and a HUGE ONE!!! Punches don't exist in another dimension (which is a huge one!). While characters do will themselves to keep going, none of them get last spurt power. As well Ippo is a nice and kind person which is always a plus for me.
-Oddly enough the show with the most "Blows don't exist unless we suddenly have them exist" is not even an anime... it is "Beware the Batman". Bleach is technically a show LIKE that, but they are spirits they don't exactly take "damage" so to speak.

The only new observation about the show I have is... IPPO IS SO DANG LUCKY he has managed to avoid weight management. To admit though his coach can be seen actively trying to avoid making Ippo go above the weight limit. Hence why he checked his legs a while back (at least that is what my viewpoint of it was. That he was seeing if his legs would have got extra muscle or would have been toned). As well his diet is almost exclusively the food his mother feeds him, which manages to put a bit of pudge on her.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:27:12 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19074 on: September 03, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »

Watch Momo Kyun Sword neo, it will put Ippo in perspective. God this show is dumb, it takes the Momotaro myth (boy born from a Peach floating down a river) and turns him into a ditzy magical girl with globular glowing breasts.

In the most recent episode it's revealed she

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #19075 on: September 03, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »

So any hype for any fall 2014 anime here?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19076 on: September 03, 2014, 01:52:18 pm »

I don't really know about any new shows, but I'm looking forward to quite a few continuations: Log Horizon, Gundam Build Fighters, Mushishi, Hitsugi no Chaika, Wixoss, Psycho Pass, Yowamushi Pedal. Those are the ongoing anime I'm definitely watching.

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja by Studio Ghibli might be nice.

As for other new shows I just take those as they come and give them all at least a look.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19077 on: September 03, 2014, 01:54:34 pm »

Watch Momo Kyun Sword neo, it will put Ippo in perspective. God this show is dumb, it takes the Momotaro myth (boy born from a Peach floating down a river) and turns him into a ditzy magical girl with globular glowing breasts.

In the most recent episode it's revealed she

I don't know Ippo is already the best Sports Anime I watched and probably is the best Hobby anime I've watched period for reasons that it attempts. (Though Yu-Gi-Oh goes for something different... I should put Card game animes into a different category)

While I reference shows like Yamino Pastichie it isn't because the anime is genuinely REALLY good... but because it did something I never seen an anime do before... Which was treat a weakness as a weakness, not negate it, and have it be a constant and persistent problem. Yet otherwise it is ok.

While Master Cooking Boy I love ironically because the hero is pretty much the biggest Mary Sue I ever seen in an anime (I havn't seen the one with the guy who has no magic except it doesn't matter).

And Vanguard being an Anime LIKE Yamino Pastichie, (it is also hilariously hammy about why you should buy the card game) but while Yamino betrayed tradition and managed to actually do it in an interesting and compelling way... Vanguard reminds you why main character powers exist... Because whoa, when they stop the anime suffers. It also LIKE PRINCE OF TENNIS (HATE!!!) flip flops on the "moral" of the arcs.

And while I didn't actually watch it... the Bike riding anime is DREADFUL! They have a Vampire who is basically Count Dracula... race on a bike and they put him in a racing outfit? (this is just to save cash because it is in 3d...)

Though I SHOULD compare it to Mightiest Disciple... except I felt like it was a rather incomplete series (which it was...)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:05:33 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19078 on: September 03, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »

So any hype for any fall 2014 anime here?
Unlimited Blade Works, Log Horizon season 2, Gundam Build Fighters Try, and Gundam Reconguista in G over here.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19079 on: September 03, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »

Gundam Build Fighters Try

And with evidence suggesting that the female team make isn't going to get whatever .... vision the series has as being "Girly" I am incredibly excited!
Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 2193