Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059110 times)

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18975 on: August 24, 2014, 09:24:19 am »

but what really got to me is that they felt the need to say shinigami instead of just saying reaper

Personally I think it's better to leave the terms for supernatural beings alone, and in the original language. A shinigami really isn't just The Grim Reaper in a kimono. There's only one Grim Reaper and he's clearly a skeleton with a robe and a scythe.Unless they're exactly like the Western ones it's best not to fuck with translating the term. It also keeps the flavor if you're dealing with Japanese mythology, "Kappa" really shouldn't be translated as "Frog Man" for example.

I beg them not to try and translate that stuff. "Tenshi" to "Angel", sure, because Tenshi are just the Japanese word for the Western concept of an angel.
true theres multiple shinigami but the game says "the shinigami" instead of "a shinigami"
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18976 on: August 24, 2014, 09:28:04 am »

If there's only one shinigami at a time then "the shinigami" is the appropriate way to refer to it.

"The" doesn't imply the only one in existence. If I am in a room with a book and tell you "pick up the book", this in no way implies that there's only one book in that reality. "pick up a book" would actually be confusing, and wrong, if I want you to pick up the only book that's in the room. Another example if you're driving a car, then it's "THE car" not "A car". Again, "the" doesn't mean that it's the only one that exists.

If someone said "look, there is a shinigami", then every utterance after that would refer to "the shinigami", unless another one came along, because we've already established in the first sentence which shinigami we are referring to.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:34:31 am by Reelya »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18977 on: August 24, 2014, 09:34:00 am »

but what really got to me is that they felt the need to say shinigami instead of just saying reaper

A shinigami really isn't just The Grim Reaper in a kimono. There's only one Grim Reaper and he's clearly a skeleton with a robe and a scythe.Unless they're exactly like the Western ones it's best not to fuck with translating the term. It also keeps the flavor if you're dealing with Japanese mythology, "Kappa" really shouldn't be translated as "Frog Man" for example. Personally I think it's better to leave the terms for supernatural beings alone, and in the original language. Stuff that actually exists? Yeah, translate the hell out of that shit. "Tenshi" to "Angel"? Sure, because Tenshi are just the Japanese word for the Western concept of an angel.

As for honorifics? I prefer they leave those in if it's set in Japan because it does add to the "Japanese" feeling and indicates relationships between characters. Especially when characters refer to each other mostly by last name, as Japanese do with people they're not super-close friends, it makes sense to have the honorifics. If they're not Japanese characters though, they shouldn't translate the honorifics.
as for the honorifics i should clarify my position i agree with keeping them i just think that the characters spend to much time discussing them

If there's only one shinigami at a time then "the shinigami" is the appropriate way to refer to it.

"The" doesn't imply the only one in existence. If I am in a room with a book and tell you "pick up the book", this in no way implies that there's only one book in that reality. "pick up a book" would actually be confusing, and wrong, if I want you to pick up the only book that's in the room. Another example if you're driving a car, then it's "THE car" not "A car".

If someone said "look, there is a shinigami", then every utterance after that would refer to "the shinigami", unless another one came along, because we've already established in the first sentence which shinigami we are referring to.
true but there is no context given for it in fact the shingami is simply used as a metaphor also its worth reminding you that its original english
im going to fire up the game and find the line.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:36:32 am by tuypo1 »
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18978 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:15 am »

Ok so the next episode of the new Sailor moon will be a HUGE milestone as to whether or not I like the old or the new anime more.

Because Old anime Jupiter was awesome in pretty much every sense of the word and was my favorite character along with Mercury (and Mercury isn't as strongly characterized in the new one... but has a similar personality albeit blander... For now, because I am sure the new Anime will characterize her more strongly later, she is one of the major characters of the anime).

Mercury really didn't have many episodes in the old one at this point in the anime. She was introduced in episode 8 of the old one, which is episode 2 of the new one. And Mars was episode 10 in the old one, episode 3 in the new one. So, at the episode 3 (new anime) point we've missed out exactly ONE episode with Mercury. I think you're confusing now much we got to know Mercury LATER on with how well she was developed at this point, because I remember you making this complaint when episode 3 aired.

And there was only one "missing" episode for that extra characterization to be crammed in. So, as of the episode where Mars debuted, the only argument is how much the single filler Episode 9 of the old anime had actually added to Mercury's characterization. There were only 2 episodes between Mercury and Mars being introduced originally, I think we forget that and think that 1 episode difference is way too fast, when it was always pretty much like that.

I think it's fairer to compare the anime's on an episode-to-episode basis rather than "where were they at this point in the story". It will be clearer once we have 26 episodes and that will be a fair comparison to the entirety of Season 1 of the old one.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:50:54 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18979 on: August 24, 2014, 09:45:21 am »

Mercury was well characterized in her first appearance and in Mars' introduction... in the old one. Mercury kind of started her trend of being for knowledge but not at "all costs". It was also the first instance of the Star powers >_>

They aren't scene for scene recreations Reelya (the old one)

I mean... Mercury actually gave an opinion in the old one other then "The arcade is fun" and "Usagi is my friend now and I am completely satisfied"

I actually thought I would see the meeting between Mercury and Usagi in the new one >_>.. now THAT would have been an improvement over the old anime. Actually give a strong impression of Mercury and her feelings about the "negaverse" situation. Unfortunately they skip that. I also thought they would give a "Mercury Tutors Usagi" scene as well... Goodness I didn't realize how many characterization scenes I've been expecting the new one to do...

It is PROBABLY because more then half the episode of everyone's introduction is about Usagi and not the character in question. Mars' episode was about how Usagi would stand up for Mars, Mercury's episode is about how Usagi will extend her friendship.

But as I said I am SURE the New Anime will characterize them all in time.

Also no we are at Jupiter so we also have the episodes after Mars' introduction to add to the list of episodes the old one added... and oddly enough... I prefer the old mars over the new one MOSTLY because it made things a bit more interesting... while the new Mars is basically serving the same role new Mercury is... which is to have another mouthpiece to talk about how great Usagi and being a sailorscout is.

I don't consider that a good or bad thing, it is just one of those odd intangibles... Because Mars could get a bit... Loud in the old one. Yet now I see the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Mars dynamic wise (Someone who always agrees with Usagi, versus someone at odds end with Usagi)... and the new dynamic of "Usagi shows everyone the power of friendship". Which is odd, USUALLY I'd be all for that, but for some reason it feels less earned. Add in her less characterization, and it just becomes weird... Hopefully she shines later on. Yet new Mars isn't entirely uncharacterized from what I get is she felt like an outcast because of her super vague power of premonition but now she is happy because her powers mean she is actually been special the entire time... So character arc finished I guess >_>

Jupiter is just sort of the one whose weak characterization in the new one would be felt the most by me..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:04:52 am by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18980 on: August 24, 2014, 10:39:38 am »

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't the original anime get a surprising amount of characterization done in what is technically filler?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18981 on: August 24, 2014, 10:50:44 am »

[completely_off_topic]

So I've binge-watched the first season --13 or 14 episodes-- of The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. I liked it. Seems good, as far as rom-coms go. Just the first four episodes felt so good and packed with character development that it felt like a full season on its own, despite minimal romance plots during the first four episodes.

Also the overarching theme of creative people and their drive to be creative is rather thought provoking. Various subpoints come up such as "Why are people driven to make art?" or "What makes a person a creator?" or "Why should I bother if I'll never be as good as this insanely talented friend I have?" and etc. I quite enjoyed that. Had more depth than I was expecting of a random rom-com I found on the internet.

[/completely_off_topic]
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18982 on: August 24, 2014, 11:06:37 am »

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't the original anime get a surprising amount of characterization done in what is technically filler?

Actually yeah but that isn't anything really new in Anime.

Hinata a beloved Naruto character is beloved ENTIRELY because of the Anime which did a great job at filling out her character quite well... In Filler. something that is considered one of the few advantages the anime had over the manga until it had waaaay too much filler. Which is only interesting because people's emotional response to her scenes in the Manga later on, that I won't spoil, and complaints people had about it was entirely because of her Anime depiction where she actually had more of a personality and her abilities were much more fleshed out (while in the Manga... she... is a completely superfluous tertiary character.. at least until I stopped paying attention).

But even the old sailormoon anime managed to do more characterization of the characters even within the non-filler episodes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18983 on: August 25, 2014, 04:24:34 am »

I had finally gotten around to binging on the rest of my Junji Ito collection. Including Gyo, Uzamaki, Tomie, and a few others. I'm sure there's still some errant loose stories I haven't read, but I might get around to them.

The horror value in all of them is deeply interesting. I really wish there was a videogame or something based on a Junji Ito works, where you're just just in a town trying to investigate the utterly bizarre, surreal horrors that are infesting and creeping into a town or into your own life. It'd be kinda like that HP Lovecraft game for the Xbox.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18984 on: August 25, 2014, 09:10:47 am »

I had finally gotten around to binging on the rest of my Junji Ito collection. Including Gyo, Uzamaki, Tomie, and a few others. I'm sure there's still some errant loose stories I haven't read, but I might get around to them.

The horror value in all of them is deeply interesting. I really wish there was a videogame or something based on a Junji Ito works, where you're just just in a town trying to investigate the utterly bizarre, surreal horrors that are infesting and creeping into a town or into your own life. It'd be kinda like that HP Lovecraft game for the Xbox.
"Gyo, Uzamaki..." Are those other writers? I'm pretty sure I've read all of Junji Ito's stuff and I loved all of it, but I need MORE.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18985 on: August 25, 2014, 09:14:01 am »

...those are the titles of his stories.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18986 on: August 25, 2014, 09:50:01 am »

...those are the titles of his stories.
:v

Amigira Fault, Red Turtleneck.. those are the ones I remember.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18987 on: August 25, 2014, 10:57:21 am »

I would recommend I Am A Hero if you're liking Junji's stuff. It starts off pretty odd but then goes full on crazy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18988 on: August 25, 2014, 06:21:39 pm »

GOODNESS do characters in Ippo have an amazing ability to walk around normally with shattered ribs.

Even when they have three shattered at once. (which from what little I read is... not possible)

I'd complain... but honestly it isn't unusual for people to even have broken ribs and not even know about it... the same way people have sometimes had broken toes or feet and not known.

The series feels somehow... incomplete and there is only 26 episodes left... hmmm...

Whelp this being a sports anime of COURSE it ends up having a USA versus Japan theme.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:46:18 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18989 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:24 am »

GOODNESS do characters in Ippo have an amazing ability to walk around normally with shattered ribs.
I swear you've said this like four times by now.
Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 2193