Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059387 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18960 on: August 23, 2014, 03:01:26 pm »

Aaaand there goes another night when I can't sleep because I might get nightmares.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18961 on: August 23, 2014, 04:39:34 pm »

Surprisingly enough, I don't have nightmare problems with sleep.

It's the imagination run-wild when I start having problems with too much internet exposure.
._.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18962 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:30 pm »

Update on Aldnoah Zero
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18963 on: August 23, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

Half of those titles are probably just Mangagamer being stupid too.

It's kind of like dead baby jokes in that regard, I'll grant. In any case, I'll continue being glad that the only VN I've yet to finish is Umineko no Naku Koro ni >___________>
Higurashi is probably also worth reading, although apparently it's getting a remake or something now??

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18964 on: August 23, 2014, 08:16:29 pm »

despite the massive fanservice which kinda falls under

See, that's the thing that gets me. They're so absurdly over the top that I can't even give the really disturbing ones the sort of disapproval they deserve. It's a kneejerk reaction, sure, but rather than responding with, "Wow, the people that like these are really creepy," I instead fall into spasms of laughter because seriously!?

and the weeaboo leaking through the words which is just plain annoying i can understand the explaining what tsundre means it makes sense in the setting but the constant talk of honorifics is redicules ive never been to japan though so maybe they really do put that much thought into it but what really got to me is that they felt the need to say shinigami instead of just saying reaper

and perhaps worse of all that it may as well just being a kinetic novel there was one meaningless choice

however i got the impression that it was an extended prequel and i really hope they do make a sequel

it was really quite good writing and storytelling

edit: i failed to mention that i am talking about sakura spirit
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:53:27 pm by tuypo1 »
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18965 on: August 23, 2014, 08:49:22 pm »

I'd agree that by-and-large gratuitous Japanese is obnoxious, but honorifics are one of the few points where I'm willing to relax a bit, because if they're used by someone who actually knows what they're doing (AKA about 5% of translators/fanfic authors that try) they can add some additional depth to social interactions. But of course most of the time they just (mis)use the two or three you'd expect, because one-semester-of-Japanese weeaboos.

I suppose 'shinigami' is one of those borderline cases because there are shades of difference, in the same way that a lot of western pantheons' death gods aren't exactly equivalent to the hooded skeleton either, even if they have the same role in the mythology. For an unrelated example of how the way something is translated can vastly alter meaning even without the added cultural loading of terms, look at that English academic that did all those terrible translations of Russian works which are only now being retranslated, to vastly different effect. It's the unnecessary substitution of words with easy, clear translations that gets me. Which I suppose is a bit twisted up; the things with enough difference of meaning to be difficult to translate accurately and simply instead provoke the intrusive TNs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18966 on: August 23, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »

I'd agree that by-and-large gratuitous Japanese is obnoxious, but honorifics are one of the few points where I'm willing to relax a bit, because if they're used by someone who actually knows what they're doing (AKA about 5% of translators/fanfic authors that try) they can add some additional depth to social interactions. But of course most of the time they just (mis)use the two or three you'd expect, because one-semester-of-Japanese weeaboos.

I suppose 'shinigami' is one of those borderline cases because there are shades of difference, in the same way that a lot of western pantheons' death gods aren't exactly equivalent to the hooded skeleton either, even if they have the same role in the mythology. For an unrelated example of how the way something is translated can vastly alter meaning even without the added cultural loading of terms, look at that English academic that did all those terrible translations of Russian works which are only now being retranslated, to vastly different effect. It's the unnecessary substitution of words with easy, clear translations that gets me. Which I suppose is a bit twisted up; the things with enough difference of meaning to be difficult to translate accurately and simply instead provoke the intrusive TNs.
indeed although its worth noting that sakura spirit is original English also i just realized i failed to mention i was talking about sakura spirit

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18967 on: August 23, 2014, 09:34:09 pm »

-Fate/stay Night stuff-

For some reason I started reading that a few days ago. Pretty sure I both hate myself and just don't learn sometimes, considering I thought Tsukihime was rather trash.
Not a fan of Type-Moon so far, must say.

If Fate is a 'pretty awful' VN, I dare wonder what your opinion is on mindless eroge.

Like 'Violent Semen Inferno'

Most VNs ARE awful; Let's be honest, the writing quality in pretty much all forms of media are pretty abysmal. I think peoples standards are set much too low if The Last of Us can be called a paragon of storytelling despite in actuality being only fine, acceptable. At some point not being complete shit started becoming the new good.

VNs in particular tend to show this due to the (generally) amateur writers creating them, the fact when we get them they are parsed through a translator, and the core issue that the vast majority of human beings cannot create an interesting story even if they try as hard as they can. It's much easier to just amalgamate things you like together and tweak the surface appearance, or go for the obvious and easy start. (e.g.: "I have these four characters I've thought up and a story of fighting monsters, betrayal, romance, (ect.) ...But I can't think of something they would be doing during the day when not fighting, or where they would meet. Oh, I'll put it in a school setting, that solves the problems!")

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18968 on: August 23, 2014, 10:43:56 pm »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18969 on: August 23, 2014, 10:48:42 pm »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18970 on: August 24, 2014, 12:18:07 am »

Not a fan of Type-Moon so far, must say.
Aw. Type-Moon is way better than a lot of other companies!

Most VNs ARE awful; Let's be honest, the writing quality in pretty much all forms of media are pretty abysmal. I think peoples standards are set much too low if The Last of Us can be called a paragon of storytelling despite in actuality being only fine, acceptable. At some point not being complete shit started becoming the new good.
You're pretty much right. Even some of the best VNs I've read have incredibly iffy moments. Like, incredibly so. Enough that I kind of forget they even happen.

It's the only kind of thing I can think of where I can both hate a work and love it immensely.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:21:57 am by ToonyMan »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18971 on: August 24, 2014, 01:34:06 am »

I suppose 'shinigami' is one of those borderline cases because there are shades of difference, in the same way that a lot of western pantheons' death gods aren't exactly equivalent to the hooded skeleton either, even if they have the same role in the mythology.
Mythology and the like is actually one of the things that I greatly prefer to remain untranslated. When you go around replacing all of the uses of "shinigami" with "reaper" you cut out all of the background mythology and culture of the phrase just as much as if I replaced something like "Einherjar" with "warriors". I'd much rather have to go look up some words and learn the mythology behind them to understand their usage than lose that part of the story.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18972 on: August 24, 2014, 01:39:03 am »

I suppose 'shinigami' is one of those borderline cases because there are shades of difference, in the same way that a lot of western pantheons' death gods aren't exactly equivalent to the hooded skeleton either, even if they have the same role in the mythology.
Mythology and the like is actually one of the things that I greatly prefer to remain untranslated. When you go around replacing all of the uses of "shinigami" with "reaper" you cut out all of the background mythology and culture of the phrase just as much as if I replaced something like "Einherjar" with "warriors". I'd much rather have to go look up some words and learn the mythology behind them to understand their usage than lose that part of the story.
true but when it was used in sakura spirit if i recall correctly it referenced a scyth im pretty sure shinigami dont use a scyth. i think the scyth thing may have been to make it clear that the shinigami was a reaper type thing

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18973 on: August 24, 2014, 02:40:07 am »

Ok so the next episode of the new Sailor moon will be a HUGE milestone as to whether or not I like the old or the new anime more.

Because Old anime Jupiter was awesome in pretty much every sense of the word and was my favorite character along with Mercury (and Mercury isn't as strongly characterized in the new one... but has a similar personality albeit blander... For now, because I am sure the new Anime will characterize her more strongly later, she is one of the major characters of the anime).

Come on Anime! I know you can have an awesome Lita!

The minor characters shining, like Marvin and Molly, is something only the old anime could have done with its longer run time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:41:55 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18974 on: August 24, 2014, 09:21:22 am »

but what really got to me is that they felt the need to say shinigami instead of just saying reaper

A shinigami really isn't just The Grim Reaper in a kimono. There's only one Grim Reaper and he's clearly a skeleton with a robe and a scythe.Unless they're exactly like the Western ones it's best not to fuck with translating the term. It also keeps the flavor if you're dealing with Japanese mythology, "Kappa" really shouldn't be translated as "Frog Man" for example. Personally I think it's better to leave the terms for supernatural beings alone, and in the original language. Stuff that actually exists? Yeah, translate the hell out of that shit. "Tenshi" to "Angel"? Sure, because Tenshi are just the Japanese word for the Western concept of an angel.

As for honorifics? I prefer they leave those in if it's set in Japan because it does add to the "Japanese" feeling and indicates relationships between characters. Especially when characters refer to each other mostly by last name, as Japanese do with people they're not super-close friends, it makes sense to have the honorifics. If they're not Japanese characters though, they shouldn't translate the honorifics.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:25:49 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 2193