Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059337 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18945 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »

Is the Fate/stay night anime any good?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18946 on: August 23, 2014, 12:49:05 pm »

It's iffy. Tis better to read the VN and/or wait for the Unlimited Bladeworks anime to come out this fall
It's FEF, not FEOF

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18947 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:51 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18948 on: August 23, 2014, 01:31:19 pm »

I didn't really like it. That said, part of that has to do with the way the protagonist and the narrative treated Saber, and I've heard that other routes were less outrageously chauvinistic, and better in general. The VN is an eroge, and it's obnoxiously long*, so unless you're really set on getting into this fandom, I can't recommend it. I, certainly, am not interested enough to go through all that (I'm what's referred to as a "filthy secondary", I believe). The anime suffers from being a bad adaptation of the worst route in what I think is a pretty awful VN (from every fact I've learned about it and every screenshot I've seen - I repeat that I don't exactly have the firsthand experience).

However, it does have a really awesome setting and some interesting mechanics, and it's a basis for some spinoff works that are legitimately good. For instance, I highly recommend Fate/Zero, even if you haven't experienced any F/SN stuff - the ending will be largely inexplicable without some knowledge from F/SN about the exact nature of the Holy Grail, but you can get the gist of it from reading around, or PM me or somebody else.

*Specifically, it takes over 4 days of play time to finish everything. You can use the rest of that for figuring out what else to read/watch/etc., if you want.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:32:54 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18949 on: August 23, 2014, 01:38:59 pm »

I think at some point of time, when I've had way too much free time on my hands, I've watched the anime, watched the LP of F/SN, all three routes, andUBW movie.

Anime was okay-ish. The moment when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
was pretty unexpected, though.

The VN is pretty good, if you cut away 80% of dialog. Nasu's style is pretty impenetrable, it could've used some polish.

The UBW movie was somewhat okay, but I will never forgive them for butchering
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was staring at the screen in disbelieve when it happened.

The entire F/ series suffer from the basic Nasu setup of "introducing rules, establishing them as unbreakable, then proceeding to introduce a new character/skill that breaks that rule, rince, repeat"
._.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18950 on: August 23, 2014, 01:53:58 pm »

If Fate is a 'pretty awful' VN, I dare wonder what your opinion is on mindless eroge.

Like 'Violent Semen Inferno'

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18951 on: August 23, 2014, 01:58:22 pm »

Is that a mindless eroge, or an opinion you have about mindless eroge? Because I honestly can't tell, and don't want to Google it to ruin the surprise.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18952 on: August 23, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »

That is an eroge. Whether or not it is mindless I have no idea.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18953 on: August 23, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »

"Violent Semen Inferno" sounds mind-blowingly terrible, yeah. I don't have a lot of experience with VN's, so I'm only able to judge them as stories and not as specific examples of their medium. F/SN may be a very good VN by comparison, but if that's the case I'd find it a bit depressing. Since I haven't read them at all, I also can't judge the quality of the sex scenes at being arousing - if that's what you're looking for than what I've said above is totally irrelevant, and the VN may be perfect.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:10:38 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18954 on: August 23, 2014, 02:04:21 pm »

The common trend in VN is to throw sex into everything.

The mantra, of course, is 'sex sells'

Even in stories where it has no reasonable place to be in.

Nasu is infamously bad at writing sex, what with terms like 'jar of meat' and allusions to mollusks

Of course, there are exceptions. Ever17 is extremely highly regarded and there is zero sex in it

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18955 on: August 23, 2014, 02:09:09 pm »

Wait, are you telling me that "my meat expands to its limits" was not a joke pasted together out of two unrelated lines?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18956 on: August 23, 2014, 02:13:04 pm »

I don't know what y'all are talking about, 'Violent Semen Inferno' is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard of.

That's my allotment of laughter for the day gone in one fell swoop.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18957 on: August 23, 2014, 02:20:40 pm »

There's also titles such as...

My Girlfriend Got Sniped by a Lesbian!? -Fuck Back Your Yuri Lover With Punishing Dick!!-
Rape! Rape! Rape!
Breast War - Big Breasts VS Tiny Breasts -

And that's why Visual Novels got a bad rep

Oh yeah, can't forget: 'suck my dick or die!'

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18958 on: August 23, 2014, 02:24:05 pm »

See, that's the thing that gets me. They're so absurdly over the top that I can't even give the really disturbing ones the sort of disapproval they deserve. It's a kneejerk reaction, sure, but rather than responding with, "Wow, the people that like these are really creepy," I instead fall into spasms of laughter because seriously!?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18959 on: August 23, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »

It's kind of like dead baby jokes in that regard, I'll grant. In any case, I'll continue being glad that the only VN I've yet to finish is Umineko no Naku Koro ni >___________>
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 2193