Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060660 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18870 on: August 17, 2014, 05:02:56 pm »

just watched the  first two and a half episodes of blassreiter. I havent watched a show with such stupid characters in a long time. Every single interaction was pathetically shallow and lacked any basic semblence of logic. It was like they wanted me to like the dude with the red hair because he kept making these surprised exasperated gestures, similar to mine, as a reaction to the other characters idiocy, except then he was being stupid in the same way moments later. I cant even name a good example because of how constant it was.

Which is funny, because i noticed the show on the MAL page of aldnoah zero, a show where they've made sure all characters (and writers) have a functional brain. Sure people get tricked and aren't brilliant but at least they act like people. So far that show has been awesome, by the way.
Oh man, there was this one show... Ghost Detective, maybe? I had the misfortune of seeing one episode of the most incompetent ghost hunters ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A competing male needs to be invested in the other female characters to the extent where he can shift focus away from the protagonist.

Given that the female characters are "One at a time" as in none of the female characters exist while there is another one on screen does negate both my definitions of harem.
This definition sounds like it'd catch a lot of main characters in general, provided they are male and some of their interactees are female.

Sweet, I finished PMMM. That was...a much more positive ending than I anticipated. Not exactly happy, but not the "everyone dies, GG" I half-expected.
Spoiler: PMMM Gripes (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18871 on: August 17, 2014, 05:07:57 pm »

This definition sounds like it'd catch a lot of main characters in general, provided they are male and some of their interactees are female.

It is meant to negate the sort of hanger on male character who isn't really involved with the harem aspects of the anime.

For example Suzimiah (err... the one where one of the main characters is a god, one is an alien, and one is a time traveler) where the Esper character REALLY isn't emotionally invested in any of the other characters... Nor is he really the solution to any of the harem's problems.

MIND YOU... you could interpret him as male member of the harem... That is a perfectly legit way to look at that.

Afterall Baka No Test actually managed to have a male member of a harem (that wasn't a all male harem)... and as I said he was strange because while he is sort of a joke, he manages to be a lot more tolerable romance wise then the other two female harem members.

Mind you Baka No Test was a direct Harem (or rather a Romantic Harem) rather then a structural Harem.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:09:37 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18872 on: August 17, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »

I survived exactly one episode of Baka to Test, that was more than enough. There wasn't anything in that show that looks at all interesting.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18873 on: August 17, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »

Sweet, I finished PMMM. That was...a much more positive ending than I anticipated. Not exactly happy, but not the "everyone dies, GG" I half-expected.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18874 on: August 17, 2014, 05:16:15 pm »

Haruhi does obviously follow the harem format, it even has meta-humour to that effect.
Hm, Gargantia wasn't bad, beach episode and belly dancing episode aside. They were really relentless with the fanservice in the middle there, but otherwise it was a decent enough show. No surprises, but competently put together and -

>Written By: Gen Urobuchi

goddamn it it happened again
This is really weird because Urobuchi has only written like 6 series.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18875 on: August 17, 2014, 05:23:21 pm »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18876 on: August 17, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »

This is really weird because Urobuchi has only written like 6 series.
Yeah, I know, it's not as though he's so ubiquitous that it's impossible to avoid him. I just keep rolling Urobuchi on the RNG. Although I'm also counting stuff that he's been less directly involved with, such as Black Lagoon (which he wrote LNs for, though I've only seen the show).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:30:59 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18877 on: August 17, 2014, 05:48:12 pm »

For directors sometimes it feels like Shinbou Akiyuki made everything.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18878 on: August 17, 2014, 06:17:15 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18879 on: August 17, 2014, 06:57:08 pm »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18880 on: August 17, 2014, 08:35:07 pm »

Just curious - did you watch the bit after the credits of the last episode?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18881 on: August 17, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »

Yes, after I posted that >.>

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18882 on: August 17, 2014, 09:10:31 pm »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18883 on: August 17, 2014, 10:41:42 pm »

Saw rebellion at theaters and my buddy got his hands on the bluray set already.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18884 on: August 18, 2014, 09:09:23 am »

Yes, after I posted that >.>

GO WATCH THE THIRD MOVIE ALREADY.

YOU HAVENT FINISHED THE STORY
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 2193