Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060516 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18855 on: August 17, 2014, 06:22:54 am »

Mahouka new episode. Spoilered for length. I've avoided giving away any real plot details. Like it has a plot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

===

Bakemonogatari is "Like Buffy"? No, it isn't. It really couldn't be any further from a Buffy-type supernatural show, nor is it anything like Higurashi.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:50:20 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18856 on: August 17, 2014, 06:24:01 am »

I'd pay more attention to it Reelya.

Also fine I'll consider it if you can answer one question: Is there any Bath, Pool, Or Beach scene in it?... heck any scene where water is prominent, even if it is a fountain.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18857 on: August 17, 2014, 06:26:36 am »

I don't recall any hot springs, pool or beach eps or anything of that nature in Bakemonogatari. It really doesn't have those sorts of scenarios.

Most scenes are 1-1 conversations between the MC and another character, or between him, his mentor and one of the girls. You can't really describe it using tropes from a typical harem.

And though many characters are highschool-aged, it also doesn't have any typical "school" scenes or scenarios.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:29:00 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18858 on: August 17, 2014, 06:30:04 am »

You can't really describe it using tropes from a typical harem

Center of the universe main character who is the key to the emotional, physical, or mental problems of all the girls who will eventually be solved through him or initiate the solving of the problem through him (or in reverse)... at which he is either the point of view or their view on him is important? As well as a focus on the relationship between him and the other girls, him being the only competing male, and there being an increasing amount of art for the show (Official art) showing the women in sexiness?

I should state that I'd probably say the 10th doctor's reign would easily qualify as a harem series if the women were in play longer (instead of one at a time, if they all were in play at once it would instantly qualify)

Heck I'd probably qualify Steven Universe as a Harem even though he is a young child and the girls he surrounds himself with are all essentially his foster mother, sister, and mentor. Yet it counts since he is the center of the universe as is the solution to everyone's problems.

Harem to me is less a genre and more a statement of the structure of the relationships and framing within the show.

My other definition for harem is "Person with a ton of people there just for him to potentially fall inlove with EVEN if there really is only one real choice or no real choice"... but honestly that is a small percent of harems anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:37:25 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18859 on: August 17, 2014, 06:42:41 am »

The female characters in Bakemonogatari are in "one at a time" too. He has a full-time girlfriend in the series, and each novel deals with a different person's problem. Though aspects of his relationship with his girlfriend develop across the arcs, too.

There is a definite "competing male": his mentor who is also young, and a way cooler and smarter dude than the hero, as well as the series' expert on the supernatural. His mentor is the go-to guy for solving the actual problems, though he's lazy and uses the MC as a helper. The MC is thus a point of view character, but by no means a mary-sue who can magically fix everyone's problems by himself.

There is a definite lack of scenes where a gaggle of girls are hanging out with the MC, it just doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:45:24 am by Reelya »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18860 on: August 17, 2014, 07:21:07 am »

just watched the  first two and a half episodes of blassreiter. I havent watched a show with such stupid characters in a long time. Every single interaction was pathetically shallow and lacked any basic semblence of logic. It was like they wanted me to like the dude with the red hair because he kept making these surprised exasperated gestures, similar to mine, as a reaction to the other characters idiocy, except then he was being stupid in the same way moments later. I cant even name a good example because of how constant it was.

Which is funny, because i noticed the show on the MAL page of aldnoah zero, a show where they've made sure all characters (and writers) have a functional brain. Sure people get tricked and aren't brilliant but at least they act like people. So far that show has been awesome, by the way.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:22:43 am by Mattk50 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18861 on: August 17, 2014, 12:18:58 pm »

A competing male needs to be invested in the other female characters to the extent where he can shift focus away from the protagonist.

Given that the female characters are "One at a time" as in none of the female characters exist while there is another one on screen does negate both my definitions of harem.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18862 on: August 17, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »

Sweet, I finished PMMM. That was...a much more positive ending than I anticipated. Not exactly happy, but not the "everyone dies, GG" I half-expected.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18863 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:16 pm »

and now you have to go watch the third movie.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18864 on: August 17, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »

They don't seem to have it on Crunchyroll. Hell, Crunchyroll doesn't seem to have a lot of movies. I still haven't been able to watch the one for TTGL.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18865 on: August 17, 2014, 01:13:33 pm »

To the best of my knowledge, your options are to import the Blu-Ray for an exorbitant fee, or piracy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18866 on: August 17, 2014, 01:24:55 pm »

Well, since I don't even HAVE a Blu-Ray player...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18867 on: August 17, 2014, 03:05:37 pm »

On that note, I heard there's a third PMMM spin-off manga currently going on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18868 on: August 17, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »

Hm, Gargantia wasn't bad, beach episode and belly dancing episode aside. They were really relentless with the fanservice in the middle there, but otherwise it was a decent enough show. No surprises, but competently put together and -

>Written By: Gen Urobuchi

goddamn it it happened again
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18869 on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:22 pm »

Beach episodes are really common in anime but honestly given Japan is a Mediterranean country it pretty much is a given it is a big part of their culture along with fish (I can't think of ONE Mediterranean region where fish isn't one of their primary foods... except possibly a polluted wasteland)

It just TENDS to boil down to two things
1) Lets see the girls in skimpy outfits (for fanservice for men)
and
2) Lets see the girls in really good looking outfits (For fanservice for women)

Sometimes both!

I think Beaches might be considered romantic or something in Japan... because there seems to be an expectation for something romantic to happen on a beach.

Unlike Western where beaches are mostly considered primarily fun.

Still my favorite Beach episode in anime will still probably be forever part of the Mermaid Melody anime... It was just funny seeing people taking volleyball WAY too seriously.

Though my favorite "Comedy episode" in a non-comedy (or side comedy) anime probably will be forever Rozen Maiden. If there is anything out there that beats it... I'd love to see it because it is RARE that anything can actually get me to laugh (Yeah I am pretty joyless)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:52:28 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 2193