Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061049 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18750 on: August 13, 2014, 01:29:21 pm »

There was a harem romance in NGE?

You mean you didn't notice the blatant romance subtext between most conversations Shinji has with Asuka, Rei, and even Misato?
And of course Shinji wants to hump every female he sees in the show. Everyone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the last two episodes are pointless drivel. No, really? Watch End if you cared enough to finish the series.

I did watch End of Evangelion, and thought it was worse than the original. The entire thing felt like a consummate "fuck you" from the author towards the fans of the show that had voiced their displeasure with how it ended, via making the most aggressive satire of his own works that he could. "You didn't like how I ended the show? Fine, take THIS as your new canon ending instead."

I'm honestly not sure how much of the hate for NGE comes from the perspective of "this show doesn't have a likeable protagonist or a happy ending, it's shit" -- the same sort that complain about films where the only death occurs off-camera and is entirely bloodless, and the characters spend the next two hours interacting in increasingly paranoid peace -- as opposed to the legitimate complaints about pacing, the fucking final two episodes, the characters being a bit too monodimensional, &c. Instead it's always "it's trying too hard and ends up being pretentious", as if using real mythology as the basis for your world is somehow supposed to be a statement of innate superiority...  ???

I don't have an issue with things needing to wrap up nicely, or having to be violent, or even show everything. If I've sat through Darker Than Black, Ergo Proxy, Legend of The Galactic Heroes, Ghost in the Shell, Gankutsuou and Planetes, and enjoyed them to varying degrees, I think I can handle the more action shounen style of Evangelion. It's just an issue with how it's written. Maybe it's because I watched it not as a teenager but as a twenty-year-old young adult, but the type of character connection it was going for didn't click with me at all.

You can have an unlikable protagonist, but there needs to be a reason for it, and you have to make up for it in other ways.
Hell, the protagonist in No Longer Human from Aoi Bungaku Series was rather unpleasant, but he was intended to be. You are supposed to pity him, not love him. The difference is Evangelion puts Shinji center stage and highlights him as if he was supposed to be someone to cheer for, someone to sympathize with, regardless of the fact that I can scarcely remember any scenes where he wasn't whining, inflating his "emo" style of narcissistic love, or being a coward. He's an asshole who only sees the people around him as either mean monsters forcing him to do things or sexual objects that he is frustrated he is not allowed to mount immediately.

This is my core problem with the series regardless of all smaller quabbles, which is that it is incredibly difficult to enjoy watching something when the main cast not only is unpleasant, but actively ruins your enjoyment of other scenes due to their inclusion.

It has many other positive things going for it; A great doom and gloom pre-apocalypse atmosphere where humans really feel like they are barely clinging on, fantastic mecha and enemy designs, and a good soundtrack. But the way it handles its characters and plot are not, in my opinion, included among those.

As for what else has been said, I cannot say I recall any "tsundere harem romance." What fanservice exists is mostly too disturbing to actually be fanservice (to me, at least; plenty of people have no problem pairing Shinji with Rei).

Asuka's characterization can be summed up as "I have mommy issues", and "I want Shinji-senpai to notice me." Almost every dialogue she has with Shinji she is being tsundere, and most conversations she has with other people ultimately come down to her talking or thinking about Shinji. I honestly can't think of a moment off the top of my head where she was doing something unrelated in some way to him. Even her rivalry with Rei is "I feel that you are my romantic enemy for Shinji, so I will hate you."

The fanservice comes in the way of random shower scenes, ass shots, vague sexualizations of characters that I believe are middle schoolers? That angle got pushed enough that both Asuka and Rei are sex symbols in Japan among otaku, and not all of that came from fanworks. I heard once that the masturbation scene in End of Evangelion was an allusion to this, the director saying "This is you, the fanbase, masturbating over people who are not there."
It's maybe a bit of a stretch, but it's the only thing that explains why the fuck he decided to put that in there.

Should I just conclude this as "It's not for everybody, who cares"? It feels as if a Shit Tornado™ is forming, which is mostly my fault.

Maybe I'm making a blanket statement, but the problem I think a lot of people have with Elfen Lied is not the quality of the show, but the fact that it recieves undue amounts of glowing praise despite the show being decidedly average if you level it out. Especially since the writing is not stellar and the plot is mostly a vehicle to prop up reasons for gore to happen. An average or bad show that gets left by the roadside attracts no attention, but one held up as a sort of treasure is due to be attacked for what people see as an injustice. You can see this with Mahouka, a horribly done show that got super popular and is now hated.

I've liked shows that I probably shouldn't have. Heck, I liked Mnemosyne and that's about on par for being gratuitious in every sense of the word as Elfen Lied is. I just liked how it handled certain aspects and forgave it for what it did poorly, which is a fairly common reaction (and is okay to do as long as you accept that those are flaws and don't try to make excuses for the creator's sake. Or to try and shield yourself from the criticism of others.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18751 on: August 13, 2014, 01:47:58 pm »

You mean you didn't notice the blatant romance subtext between most conversations Shinji has with Asuka, Rei, and even Misato?
And of course Shinji wants to hump every female he sees in the show. Everyone.
Is it that strange for a 14-year-old boy to want to have sex with the young women around him?  In any case though, that isn't the defining feature of a harem anime (in fact it's kindof the opposite, in a harem anime all the girls want to fuck the guy but he won't have it).

Asuka's characterization can be summed up as "I have mommy issues", and "I want Shinji-senpai to notice me." Almost every dialogue she has with Shinji she is being tsundere, and most conversations she has with other people ultimately come down to her talking or thinking about Shinji. I honestly can't think of a moment off the top of my head where she was doing something unrelated in some way to him. Even her rivalry with Rei is "I feel that you are my romantic enemy for Shinji, so I will hate you."
I disagree, while Shinji interests Asuka on some level I think she does actually fundamentally dislike him.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18752 on: August 13, 2014, 02:02:00 pm »

Not specific to NGE, but I wrote this the other day on another site related to the perennial "is it a harem?" debate, the topic of debate was Clannad when I wrote this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some examples, Walkure Romanze (2013), no romance element at all, yet clearly a harem show. Love Hina is a classic harem, and it has quite a few similiarities in structure to Ah My Goddess (one guy living with multiple girls), yet most people don't seem to say Ah My Goddess is a harem (and yes all 3 girls in Amy My Goddess have shown at least some interest in the MC, in fact more than most of the girls in Love Hina).

tl;dr version: most people associate "harem" as "bad show" and will argue tooth and nail that their favorite harem-style show isn't a "real" harem. I see this on a lot of sites.

Any show with 7 girls and 1 guy, and maybe a 2nd guy - but he ONLY really interacts with the main guy (and none of the girls like the 2nd guy) is clearly a harem, regardless of whether they explicitly say they're "in love" with the MC. If that one dude is the center of all their existences, it's a harem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:16:06 pm by Reelya »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18753 on: August 13, 2014, 03:02:51 pm »

Maybe I was wrong on defining it as that, but by where the series is at he has about four (Asuka, Rei, Misato, Mari.)

tl;dr version: most people associate "harem" as "bad show" and will argue tooth and nail that their favorite harem-style show isn't a "real" harem. I see this on a lot of sites.

Oh, I'll admit a handful of the ones I've seen and liked were harems. Steins;Gate, Knights of Sidonia, Higurashi. I guess the important thing is if other things are going on, or if that is the main focus.

I would generally define a harem, or at least a harem structure, as being one protagonist with numerous potential love interests that crowd around his life and show some level of interest in him.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18754 on: August 13, 2014, 03:10:01 pm »

I think that harems tend to be a byproduct of the show's original source material: VNs.

And since VNs almost always have multiple romantic options, so arises the harem in the anime adaptation. What was multiple routes in a game doesn't necessarily translate well to anime. Thusly anime adaptations appease the fan crowd with a harem, rather than saying 'this is the route we are sticking to, deal with it'
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18755 on: August 13, 2014, 03:17:14 pm »

I guess if your definition of harem is "There is a male main character and then most of the rest of the characters are female" then NGE fits.  Otherwise it really doesn't because other than maybe Asuka at some points they just aren't romantically interested in/implied to be lusting after the dick of Shinji at all.

It also for the most part predates the harem genre (it was released less than a year after Tenchi Muyo) so you can't even really say it's playing with the tropes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:18:50 pm by Leafsnail »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18756 on: August 13, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »

As for what else has been said, I cannot say I recall any "tsundere harem romance." What fanservice exists is mostly too disturbing to actually be fanservice (to me, at least; plenty of people have no problem pairing Shinji with Rei).

The fanservice comes in the way of random shower scenes, ass shots, vague sexualizations of characters that I believe are middle schoolers? That angle got pushed enough that both Asuka and Rei are sex symbols in Japan among otaku, and not all of that came from fanworks. I heard once that the masturbation scene in End of Evangelion was an allusion to this, the director saying "This is you, the fanbase, masturbating over people who are not there."
It's maybe a bit of a stretch, but it's the only thing that explains why the fuck he decided to put that in there.
Asuka had a few more problems than "mommy issues." True, that was a major factor in her personality and was explored in depth during the later episodes, but it's not all there is. Her relationship with Rei is also not based on her being a "romantic enemy," but rather for her being exactly the opposite of everything Asuka is. Whereas Asuka is the strong and abrasive one, Rei is obedient and quiet. Asuka's dislike towards Rei increases during the show because of Asuka's inability to compete with Rei's skill and because of Rei's lack of value in her own life.

As for the female characters being sex-symbols, I don't really know what to say there. As disturbing as it is for people to be wanking to little girls (one of which isn't fully human), it seems that you can't stop them. Still, I don't think that the infamous opening scene of EoE is addressing this, nor do I think that the movie is Anno's fuck-you to the fans.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18757 on: August 13, 2014, 04:06:08 pm »

It also for the most part predates the harem genre (it was released less than a year after Tenchi Muyo) so you can't even really say it's playing with the tropes.

Most sources point towards 1980's seires by Rumiko Takahashi as the likely origins of harem anime/manga rather than Tenchi. Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, and Ranma all have elements of the harem genre to differing degrees.

Tenchi OVAs actually came out in 1992, btw, so 3 years before NGE, not one year. And there were other harem-ish stuff in the late 1980's. For example, this. And I'm sure there's a lot more out there I don't know about. Tenchi was far from the first harem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:08:04 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18758 on: August 13, 2014, 04:08:02 pm »

Fair enough I guess but the main point stands

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18759 on: August 13, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »

I agree with this explanation about Eva 99%, and I thought it was plain obvious when I was watching the series for the first time.
Spoiler: Depth in NGE explained (click to show/hide)
I still can't understand how people can consider and judge Eva as "normal" mecha/harem anime, just like TTGL it's supposed to be de-construction of those genres even if those two series are polar opposites in how they do it. I hate giant robot shows, and that's why I love Eva and TTGL.

About Elfen Lied... Anime fucked it's story up big time. But it's still not harem anime, there were exactly two girls that in any possible way could be of potential romantic interest to male lead, and one of them was retarded to a childlike state where everyone treated her like a kid. Normally harem anime has some point where there is competition between several girls over one guy in a romantic way, Elfen Lied had none of that. It was all about forgiveness, love was never an option.
That whole story was about how people try to deal with the shit crapsack world throws at them, on the one hand you have the people from Institute who's first (and only) action seems to be "Burn the witch!", and on the othe side you have the heroes, rag-tag group of emotionally (and otherwise) abused kids... I can't put it in words what it felt like to read how Nana turned from woobie to iron woobie, or how Mayu became the redeemer, and when all that butchering Lucy did finally caught up with her, timing was as predictable and story telling as manipulative as it could have been, but it didn't make that "emotionally shallow", IMHO. Or maybe I was just getting into it too much.
If all you're seeing is the gore, well, then it's getting in the way of the story.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18760 on: August 13, 2014, 05:21:58 pm »

But TTGL is a massive homage and reconstruction? That's the first time I've seen someone call it a deconstruction.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18761 on: August 13, 2014, 05:27:43 pm »

Spoiler: Depth in NGE explained (click to show/hide)

I agree with most of this explanation (I didn't read the part about the Rebuilds, though), but I still don't think that End of Evangelion was just a "middle finger." The movie's plot and events fits in with the TV plot and its infamous ending, and most of what is considered a "fuck-you" by people fits in as well (i.e. Third Impact, the death of main characters, the live-actions portion, et cetera). The movie was simply a retelling of the ending from the show, albeit with an actual budget.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18762 on: August 13, 2014, 05:29:04 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18763 on: August 13, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »

I agree with most of this explanation (I didn't read the part about the Rebuilds, though), but I still don't think that End of Evangelion was just a "middle finger." The movie's plot and events fits in with the TV plot and its infamous ending, and most of what is considered a "fuck-you" by people fits in as well (i.e. Third Impact, the death of main characters, the live-actions portion, et cetera). The movie was simply a retelling of the ending from the show, albeit with an actual budget.
I think EoE was re-using some ideas that were cut from TV-series, for reasons we all know. But it was still a middle finger to otaku fanbase and their complaints, where TV-series was kick to their groin.

But TTGL is a massive homage and reconstruction? That's the first time I've seen someone call it a deconstruction.
If it doesn't take every trope and cliche in mecha genre and pull them apart from the show, dangle it in front of the viewers before pumping it full of steroids and LSD and jamming it back in, I must have watched the wrong show. Or is that called re(not de-)construction? Hell if I know...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18764 on: August 13, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »

To be a deconstruction is to show the flaws of a genre's convention and take them to the extremes and show a sort of "more realistic" portrayal and all the implications the genre's elements would have. A reconstruction is to do the opposite, pull the elements back together in a way that works its way past the flaws highlighted by the deconstruction and makes it fun again. TTGL was a deliberate homage and love letter to the mecha genre, more specifically the Super Robot genre, bringing together all the best parts of it from throughout its history into a single package.

Speaking of TTGL, it's gonna be airing on Toonami starting this saturday.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:12:53 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 2193