Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061381 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18720 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:55 pm »

So, I'm getting the impression I'm the ONLY person on Bay12 who likes RWBY...
I liked about the half of it that I've watched. Definitely not tv-level quality, but it's still pretty good and I've laughed several times.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18721 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:58 pm »

So, I'm getting the impression I'm the ONLY person on Bay12 who likes RWBY...
I liked about the half of it that I've watched. Definitely not tv-level quality, but it's still pretty good and I've laughed several times.
Honestly? If any series has to rely on action to be good, it's a terrible series in general, these 'characters' have personalities and lives do they not? According to fans, yes. And those exact same fans want to see that personality and life unfold, as well as the action. Slicing five guys with one swipe from a bayoneted pistol on a ribbon is hardly what i'd call character personality or life development.
Yet RWBY S1 ep1 was well recieved for it's inventive combat, RWBY S1 EP2 was frowned upon for lack of combat, the major bulk of RWBY S2 EP1 was nothing but combat surrounded by very little plot, and worst of all one our loved secondary character only got 1 line that was reused from a previous episode.

Season 1 was good, Season 2 is on-going. My synopsis may change, but right now, if it's going to be mostly-action & little-to-no chara dev, I'm sad it's another one-trick pony.
The humor is good but...again, if violence must convey the joke, it is a terrible joke.

Of course I'm also currently highly focused on Pretty Cure and other Magical girl anime right now so...While RWBY indeed fits the fantasy and almost-all-girl-cast focused genres, RWBY is Sci-Fantasy, not MG.
(Which also annoys me: they keep teasing us with dust shop robberies but we rarely see any dust in play, it's all semblance and aura, where's the fire twisters from finger tips and elemental supercells dust can bring? I sincerely hope we see some soon.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:13:43 pm by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18722 on: August 11, 2014, 06:54:13 pm »

Probably because it has a sexualized under aged girl with large breasts who gets into her underwear a lot who is Tsundere and has magical powers which she uses to punish men when she isn't crying and needing to be comforted.

Large breasts??? Louise???

She's a classic petanko. i.e no noticable breasts and she's self-conscious of this fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18723 on: August 11, 2014, 08:51:08 pm »

Probably because it has a sexualized under aged girl with large breasts who gets into her underwear a lot who is Tsundere and has magical powers which she uses to punish men when she isn't crying and needing to be comforted.

She's a classic petanko. i.e no noticable breasts and she's self-conscious of this fact.

That said, it's an easy mistake to make if you haven't watched/read the source material in a while, considering how many sexualized underaged girls the series has. >.>

As far as I'm concerned, ZnT falls into much the same category of fiction as Naruto and Harry Potter, insofar as that it is a mediocre-at-best, idiotic-at-worst snoozefest which wasted a cool idea in favor of pandering and/or the author's hangups. Which makes it fertile ground for high-quality fanfiction to throw all of that out the window and do fun things with the world and the skeletons of interesting characters which are faintly visible underneath the reprehensible crap.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #18724 on: August 11, 2014, 08:53:47 pm »

Jitsu wa Watashi wa is great as always.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18725 on: August 11, 2014, 11:17:40 pm »

Wait until she gets into her underwear, they actually grow a few sizes. Mind you I can barely remember since that was about the point where I was mortified with the series.

Not that her being a petanko hurts my description since later on there is an EXACT clone of her.

Not that it matters if I am wrong though. Since if I am wrong it means she is underaged with a body visually similar to a 12 year old who is being sexualized.

I'd just admit I am wrong but I cannot remember how it goes either way and I don't want to watch it to find out.

As far as I'm concerned, ZnT falls into much the same category of fiction as Naruto and Harry Potter, insofar as that it is a mediocre-at-best, idiotic-at-worst snoozefest which wasted a cool idea in favor of pandering and/or the author's hangups. Which makes it fertile ground for high-quality fanfiction to throw all of that out the window and do fun things with the world and the skeletons of interesting characters which are faintly visible underneath the reprehensible crap.

No this is pretty accurate. The only thing that kept me watching until a quarter through season 2 is because Season 1 had so much potential with its political intrigue, changing character dynamics, and interesting characters... that and I honestly thought the abuse would stop season 2. NOPE!

It would HANDILY make its way into my imaginary list of Top 10 Animes that squandered its interesting set up.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:01:54 pm by Neonivek »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18726 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:24 pm »

Was this posted here already?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog
I know I'm a bit late, but this honestly looks terrible. Tragic superheroes forced to murder each other, by which we mean legions of faceless mooks, while wearing low-cut jackets.

Euuuuugh.

Also:
IronyOwl's sleep-talking: "...Heheheh...so much...magical boy...wafuu..."

By Ufotable, a 5000 episode sci-fi anime about IronyOwl's love life.

IronyOwl is made of loyalty, rhinos, and dullness. With a dash of Twitter.

IronyOwl is the Ojou-Sama.

IronyOwl is destined to marry Tsumugi Kotobuki on March 23, 2013 おめでとう^o^/ !!
I have absolutely no comment at this time, who's Ufotable again but I think I'm going to vomit regardless, fuck you too, screw the rules I have money, and a little late there. Also I'm not sure how I feel about marrying a marshmallow.

IronyOwl's magical girl power is "Flute Spinning Tears!" http://en.shindanmaker.com/267602
IronyOwl is magical insecure nurse. Special attack is Sparkling Fruit. http://en.shindanmaker.com/273145
Magical Girl IronyOwl's hair color: gold, outfit theme: musician, weapon: taser. http://en.shindanmaker.com/214003
I have no idea what to make of the first two. I know exactly what to make of the third, and that is "Zap zap motherfucker."

Zangi's Criminal Coefficient is 450; Lethal Eliminator enabled. Carefully shoot and kill Zangi. #sibylscanning http://en.shindanmaker.com/285692
IronyOwl's Criminal Coefficient is 95; registered Inspector. The trigger has been locked..
Heheheheh.

These are fun.

Oh and it's launching into the "main plot" now. Oh wow, now they're enrolling Tatsuya in a "9 school thesis writing contest". As if "enrolment arc" (arc 1 is seriously called this) and "sports day arc" weren't exciting enough, now we get "debating team arc".
Christ. Was this guy's high school really that bad, or has he just painted himself into a corner somehow?

!
Spoiler: No Wait What (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18727 on: August 12, 2014, 08:59:53 pm »

So, just finished NGE and EoE for the second time, and I'm considering watching the Rebuilds now. I'm a tad hesitant about it though, as I'm worried that they'll not live up to their source. Can anyone that has seen any of them tell me if they're good or not?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18728 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:29 pm »

[real name]'s magical girl power is "Light Crimson Blade"
I'm okay with this.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18729 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »

So, just finished NGE and EoE for the second time, and I'm considering watching the Rebuilds now. I'm a tad hesitant about it though, as I'm worried that they'll not live up to their source. Can anyone that has seen any of them tell me if they're good or not?
theyre good

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18730 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:47 pm »

Shinji and Asuka are less entirely terrible and unlikable, most of the silly school and shower scenes are cut, intro song is not as good.
The third movie is weak due to it feeling like a prequel to something else, but the first two made me unable to hate Evangelion anymore. At least not completely.

Basically if you had things you didn't like about the original series, you have a much better chance of enjoying it. If you liked the show being all "deep" (pretentious) and Shinji being a completely useless twat, you'll dislike the changes.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18731 on: August 12, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »

On the other hand, if you liked the characterization not being butchered for catering/trolling (depending on which movie), a plot that makes sense, or characters not being generic flat protagonists who can magically work through any problems only to get rekt by plot, you'll also dislike the changes.

Basically if you had things you didn't like about the original series, you have a much better chance of enjoying it. If you liked the show being all "deep" (pretentious) and Shinji being a completely useless twat, you'll dislike the changes.
It's Gainax (for the first two movies) trying to milk the fanbase for money by giving them what they want, instead of trying to tell a story they care about.  Pretty sure that's the opposite of less pretentious.

Basically, they're pretty good mecha action movies, just think of them as glorified fanfiction rather than part of the continuity.  It's not supposed to be better, it's supposed to be different, and they would fail in the role most people think of the original series in. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:30:34 pm by Draxis »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18732 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:17 pm »

Pretty sure that's the opposite of less pretentious.

I think it's hard to be less pretentious than the original Evangelion at times, due to the entire thing coming off seeming like it was written by a first year psychology student trying to combine Freudian analogies with the half of the Bible he read while dozing through Sunday school.

I'm probably being unfair to it, but I found the frequent quoting of Biblical verses and terminology grating; especially when every action and motivation by every character seems driven by Freudian complexes, and the writer displaying a clear lack of understanding about both fields.

The show started off interesting and held my attention up until I realized the main characters would undergo no development that would make them any more tolerable, and that they were literally going to defeat an Angel through the power of synchronized ballet. Do people forget these parts? Because 70% of Evangelion was stupid anime bullshit, fanservice shots, reused animation, and dreadfully dull tsundere harem romance.

And nothing, NOTHING, can forgive how terrible those last two episodes are. "Hey, we have no money and our director is borderline suicidal, what should we do?" Oh, give him a box of crayons and overlay it with incohesive, uncomprehendable dialogue and imagery that serves no purpose but to trick guillable people into thinking they are witnessing something profound while in actuality it's all vapid, melodramatic nonesense hiding behind big words and a solemn tone.

Either I am seriously missing something, or other people are reading far more into the series than what is actually there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18733 on: August 13, 2014, 12:06:20 am »

Here is the thing about pretentiousness and characters who try to pretend they are much deeper then they actually are, reused action shots, fanservice... what have you.

Some people just buy it.

I've spent enough time in school with my rage against fiction I've been taught only to find out much later down the road that all my complaints were just things fabricated by my school because essentially school teaches fiction like a fanboy. For example 1982 was a novel I hated for so long because it is just total BS because I was taught it in a way that was "Yeah it totally could happen!", yet that was never the attempt of the novel.

Evangeleon's bad qualities are the reason people like it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:08:44 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18734 on: August 13, 2014, 12:12:54 am »

it's worth noting that the symbolism/allusions has nothing to do with the actual point of the series and was added in to be more exotic to japanese audiences.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 2193