Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061391 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18645 on: August 08, 2014, 05:33:20 pm »

Did anyone else hate Elfen Lied?

The anime is a poor representation of the manga.

Looking back, the plot wasn't the best, but the gratuitous nudity and gore makes it a novelty item in my book
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18646 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:37 pm »

Oh yeah, there's quite a "hates Elfen Lied club" out there. The worst part is how it turns into a generic harem 10 minutes into episode 1.

Today's Elfen Lied weather forecast: Harem with a chance of gore.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18647 on: August 08, 2014, 08:12:38 pm »

*Raises hand.*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18648 on: August 08, 2014, 08:15:57 pm »

Just wondering since I was talking about it with IronTomato earlier. I watched the whole thing and frowned my way through most of the show. It certainly wasn't very impressive or different aside from the crazy violence. And then they started talking about the origin of the Dyclonians and I was just "ehhhhh" from that point on. IIRC the ending leaves a lot of loose ends too.

It was underwhelming enough that I wouldn't want to give the manga a chance unless I was really motivated. There's just better things out there that I could be checking out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18649 on: August 08, 2014, 08:17:45 pm »

The ending itself can be excused because the manga was still ongoing at the time, and they fudged it. Really, there's not much they can do for any series when that happens. Either fudge the ending or just leave it hanging ...

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18650 on: August 08, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »

:I

I just think it's fun to watch. It sounded cool, so far it is cool. Yes, Lucy's powers are mildly weird, but in the videogames I play, people have weird powers too, and I like it. I am looking at you, The Pain.

Then again, the only other animes I've watched are Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai and Kill La Kill. I don't have much to compare it to, and I've no idea where to find the manga. Or read manga.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18651 on: August 08, 2014, 08:29:09 pm »

Ahh, well the thing about Elfen Lied is it falls right into a very common trope. That is "magical/robot/alien/ghost/vampire girl randomly ends up living with bland teenager dude". Usually with 2-5 other girls ending up living there too. Commonly known as "the harem"

Examples include Ah My Goddess, Love Hina, Sekirei, Girls Bravo, To Love Ru, Rosario to Vampire (and shows like Chuunibyo). And about 20000 other indistinguishable shows. They're not all crap, some use the trope well and build interesting characters and comedy, whilst others are terrible. Elfen Lied is just "completely cliched harem, with a side helping of extra gore".

A sci-fi analogy would be watching 2000 different Star Wars rip-off movies in a row. Individually, they might seem to be fine movies, but as a trend, you know that they're all rip-offs.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:31:48 pm by Reelya »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18652 on: August 08, 2014, 08:44:32 pm »

I haven't even watched TV in a really long time, let alone been exposed to enough anime to know about things like that. I also don't really care.

I have no idea how you guys find what you watch. GUNINANRUNIN mentioned Initial D, but what are some good animes that can be defined as "interesting" which isn't a gundam anime?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18653 on: August 08, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »

It really depends what you like. Do you like action, comedy, philosophical stuff best? What one person thinks is an interesting anime is boring to other people. These are some things I like though:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:03:10 pm by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18654 on: August 08, 2014, 09:31:34 pm »

Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop

Hajime no Ippo

Ghost in the Shell

Mushishi

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Squid Girl
Each of these is a must watch, IMHO, for anyone who watches anime. Except maybe LotGH. That might be a bit slow for a lot of people's tastes.

I ought to check out some of those pyschological shows as well. It's been a while since I actually saw a good horror/pychological anime that wasn't just "bluhhh gore, bluhhh wangst".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18655 on: August 08, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »

Princess Tutu is a must watch IF you can stomach it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18656 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:37 am »

Just finished Narutaru, am halfway through Franken Fran, and have Gunnm to read next. Well well. Wellity wellity well ...

Can someone recommend me some short and non-disgusting mangas I can read for a break from all the gore? Pretty much anything as I haven't read many, and recently got a tablet I read mangas on when commuting.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18657 on: August 09, 2014, 12:24:29 am »

Nausicaa in the valley of the wind.
It's gorgeous!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18658 on: August 09, 2014, 12:51:14 am »

I have no idea how you guys find what you watch.

I would say for a lot of us, we started with what we watched on TV back in the days when it aired in North America. That's why stuff like Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam, and Dragonball Z are so popular among English speakers. After that you can branch pretty easily by just looking up shows that are similar or asking other anime fans you know.

GUNINANRUNIN mentioned Initial D, but what are some good animes that can be defined as "interesting" which isn't a gundam anime?

Well if you liked Elfen Lied you could try Denpa teki na Kanojo, which is a bit similar but I thought was done better.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18659 on: August 09, 2014, 01:05:52 am »

i get the impresion i should have put off watching pullea magi madoka magica untill i had seen a few normal magical girl anime so that i would have expectations to be subverted

so i ask you bay 12 whats a good cross section of magical girl anime that will allow me to get a good feel for the genre
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 2193