Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1229 1230 [1231] 1232 1233 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064870 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18450 on: July 21, 2014, 12:11:56 pm »

I've only seen it once, and was so irritated at the ending that I didn't bother to actually examine the motivations and conversations carefully (like you clearly have.)
Haha, yeah, I was so irritated at the ending that I couldn't help but spend a couple of days trying to figure out what the hell happened. This is mostly other people's ideas that I read about, but which I can no longer disagree with. >___________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18451 on: July 21, 2014, 12:44:08 pm »

I totally agree with everything you had to say about Elfen Lied, I watched it all and it's terrible.

Planetes, Hellsing Ultimate, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, and Berserk
I crossed out the ones I haven't seen.

Uh, I don't remember humor being that frequent in Berserk.. The humor fit in Planetes because it's about civilians, and Black Lagoon was never serious enough for it to bug me.

There is no fanservice in Planetes. There's only the one scene late in Berserk where Casca is naked (unless you also count that steaming hot water fight between Gutts and Griffith). I don't recall exactly what it was like in Black Lagoon but I have a vague impression it was pretty frequent. I probably enjoyed the action too much to care. There was also the weird thing with those kids but that wasn't fanservice, that just had to do with sex..
I haven't seen the Berserk anime, only the movies and roughly all of the manga (barring the newest chapters) and there are certain comedic elements that disrupt the atmosphere (Puck... all of the elves, looking at you.) I understand that it's in some respects the "Japanese way" to try and lighten up heavy moments and atmosphere with silliness to not overbear the audience, but I would respect a full commitment to theme much more. If your work is depressing, let it be depressing; That's what the viewer expects and accepts and likely part of the reason they are there.

TBH I didn't really take it the same way. Some scenes didn't portray the elves that way at all (consider that, apart from the two in the party, the rest basically made sport of brutally killing things, including each other, and even rare moments where Puck or Evarella aren't being as serious as the situation demands don't really feel like they're lightening the mood -- and more often than not they're there more as voices of reason/living plot devices than anything else (which is honestly the argument I'd make against them). There's a multitude of reasons for an individual to not treat a serious situation seriously, and most of them are valid in-universe. Unless you're arguing that the simple fact that they exist is comedic. :/

On the fanservice note, GUNIN, neither of the scenes before or during the Eclipse when Casca is naked are fanservice unless you're really fucked in the head. For one, people can be unclothed without the intent to titillate, and for the other what the absolute fuck is wrong with you if you get off on that. The scene with Guts and Griffith at the fountain, on the other hand...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18452 on: July 21, 2014, 03:30:23 pm »

TBH I didn't really take it the same way. Some scenes didn't portray the elves that way at all (consider that, apart from the two in the party, the rest basically made sport of brutally killing things, including each other, and even rare moments where Puck or Evarella aren't being as serious as the situation demands don't really feel like they're lightening the mood -- and more often than not they're there more as voices of reason/living plot devices than anything else (which is honestly the argument I'd make against them). There's a multitude of reasons for an individual to not treat a serious situation seriously, and most of them are valid in-universe. Unless you're arguing that the simple fact that they exist is comedic. :/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rare moments? Chestnut Puck becomes a fairy common thing as the manga continues, especially after joining up with Ishidoro.
It's fairly distracting considering the subject matter that consists of 95% of the rest of the story.

I remember the author of Vinland Saga (and thus also Planetes) making an comment, musing over if he should include more jokes in the manga to lighten up the atmosphere. Mind you, this is a series about vikings pillaging and raping across England.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18453 on: July 21, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

Puck and Ishidoro do quite frequently provide out of place comic relief, it's a major reason why I liked the Golden Age arc more.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18454 on: July 21, 2014, 09:09:11 pm »

Yeah, that stuff is annoying -- TBH I might have just subconsciously forgotten those moments. I was mostly talking about their general worldviews clashing with the reality of the 'verse, rather than the gag humor. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #18455 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:32 am »

I am currently reading "Classmate, Kamimura Yuuka wa Kou Itta". It's a cute and enjoyable romantic comedy manga and is in no shape, size or form anything other than that.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18456 on: July 22, 2014, 01:25:55 am »

I am currently reading "Classmate, Kamimura Yuuka wa Kou Itta". It's a cute and enjoyable romantic comedy manga and is in no shape, size or form anything other than that.

you lie i detect FANSERVICE
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18457 on: July 22, 2014, 01:28:00 am »

Haha. What are you talking about, tuypo1?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18458 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:43 am »

man, just googling and i got five different images of someones behind in a manga page.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18459 on: July 22, 2014, 01:36:02 am »

man, just googling and i got five different images of someones behind in a manga page.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18460 on: July 22, 2014, 01:42:29 am »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18461 on: July 22, 2014, 01:44:45 am »

i dident notice behinds i just saw breasts one woman had her breasts hanging over a panel

also on the topic on manga i just started yotsuba i can see its going to be great and im only on page 9

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18462 on: July 22, 2014, 01:52:46 am »

But seriously, there's a bit of fanservice in CKYKI but it's fairly low-key and definitely not the focus. The focus is on the plot and not the PLOT, you dig?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:56:55 am by Boksi »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18463 on: July 22, 2014, 01:57:40 am »

The image in the spoiler doesn't show up.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18464 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:07 am »

But seriously, there's a bit of fanservice in CKYKI but it's fairly low-key and definitely not the focus. The focus is on the plot and not the PLOT, you dig?

thats a funny way of drawing squished boobs

Pages: 1 ... 1229 1230 [1231] 1232 1233 ... 2193