Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 [1230] 1231 1232 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065011 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18435 on: July 20, 2014, 11:07:27 pm »

For the people who recommended Mirai Nikki and Elfen Lied, oi.  Maybe it's just me, but I really can't stand either of them, for various reasons. (All below is personal opinion.)
Elfen Lied especially is a show with no likable characters, no interesting plot, and nothing but a glut of excessive violence, rape, and forced harem bullshit.
Mirai Nikki is a bit better (since it actually HAS a plot of some sort) but as of what I saw of it I really didn't like anyone, and it contains much of the above issues. They both come off extremely tryhard to appeal to angsty teenagers who want to feel mature by seeing tits and gore. These should probably be prefaced by saying I stopped watching both halfway through. Does it suddenly become amazing by the end? I doubt it, but you never know.

Since I'm complaining anyway, Madoka really isn't a mindfuck, in any sense of the word. Both the twists and conclusion are rather predictable if you know anything of Faust. A "mindfuck", would be something that leaves the watcher unsure of what is real or not, not just something told out of sequence and with a degree of vagueness.
I guess maybe the third movie has a bit of that, but by lords...
Spoiler: Third Movie spoilers (click to show/hide)

Nevertheless, Madoka is alright. A fair show but nothing something I'd put on my favorites list, or as an off-the-cuff recommendation.

I wish anime didn't feel the need to inject "comedy" into serious franchises in such damaging ways. Planetes, Hellsing Ultimate, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, and Berserk are all fantastic series that would be even better if they didn't include that. Double that sentiment towards fanservice.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18436 on: July 20, 2014, 11:33:59 pm »

Anyway, that's a more detailed version of what I took away from it. It's very much a debatable topic.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:35:43 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18437 on: July 20, 2014, 11:42:32 pm »

Finished binge watching all the Death Note animes[animu?] yesterday. The mind games were so intense. I loved it. All of it. And Misa was really adorable in a macabre kind of way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18438 on: July 20, 2014, 11:45:55 pm »

Finished binge watching all the Death Note animes[animu?] yesterday. The mind games were so intense. I loved it. All of it. And Misa was really adorable in a macabre kind of way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My response to the spoiler... is mostly. It is intentional.

That and it was pretty much alluded to since the start.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18439 on: July 20, 2014, 11:46:49 pm »

I totally agree with everything you had to say about Elfen Lied, I watched it all and it's terrible.

Planetes, Hellsing Ultimate, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, and Berserk
I crossed out the ones I haven't seen.

Uh, I don't remember humor being that frequent in Berserk.. The humor fit in Planetes because it's about civilians, and Black Lagoon was never serious enough for it to bug me.

There is no fanservice in Planetes. There's only the one scene late in Berserk where Casca is naked (unless you also count that steaming hot water fight between Gutts and Griffith). I don't recall exactly what it was like in Black Lagoon but I have a vague impression it was pretty frequent. I probably enjoyed the action too much to care. There was also the weird thing with those kids but that wasn't fanservice, that just had to do with sex..

---

Okay, I liked Jormungandr until episode 3 where it starts with some important characters having a gunfight hardly 10 feet away from one another and suddenly couldn't hit a damn thing despite their skill in earlier episodes, then they took what seemed like a short encounter and stre-e-e-etched it into the next episode! I had to stop watching. I hope it doesn't do this again.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18440 on: July 21, 2014, 12:06:39 am »

snip
snip

i dont think theres anything wrong with a conversation thats got to be completely spoilered gives me a great test of my willpower not to open them
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18441 on: July 21, 2014, 12:10:48 am »

You know... For once (technically twice... I have seen it before... but it technically didn't matter) I'd love to see the hero actually go "hmm permanently injuring myself and/or risking my life is not worth this match. I will surrender". Or better yet actually have there be a real permanent injury or die because they were a moron.

Prince of Tennis flip flopped around this issue A LOT and there is a reason why I hated the last season and this was a big part of it (I bet the last season was popular)... Yet even it didn't really escape the consequences of those actions (SORT OF!!!... once again terrible last season).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18442 on: July 21, 2014, 12:15:51 am »

Hajime no Ippo did the same thing, though they were sort of vague about the titular character's injury. He busted his fist and he's a boxer though, chances are that's going to permanently affect you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18443 on: July 21, 2014, 12:32:47 am »

Sounds like I am really going to enjoy Hajime No Ippo.

I will say that making Ippo a super genius Boxer was actually a pretty good move anyhow.

It allows the Hero to experience things at the same time we the viewers are, so everything fresh to us is also fresh to him. As well as allowing us to see his development as the show goes on, while also giving us some way to conceivably see him win. As well because he is a super genius but lacks the years of formal training most of his opponents have it allows the anime to flip flow whether he is the under dog or the top dog in any match. Making him "super strong" with incredible athleticism far outstretching everyone else, is simply the device that lets him win with the lack of training.

It is just interesting to see how framing is everything in a story. Since Ippo, being a super strong super fast learning natural boxer who learns counters specifically against you because he is fed boxing info from the press, could easily be some sort of near unbeatable opponent that the hero needs to beat. In fact several matches do just that and the story is more about how the boxer is supposed to beat Ippo.

In fact, so far whether or not Ippo is the force of nature or the underdog is close to 50/50 of his matches. Though I will say when he is the underdog, sometimes they go overboard in making him seem like one. Which is kind of annoying but whatever.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18444 on: July 21, 2014, 12:37:31 am »

I'm telling you his learning isn't that extraordinary.. The other boxers do the same exact thing when preparing for their fights.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18445 on: July 21, 2014, 12:44:15 am »

I'm telling you his learning isn't that extraordinary.. The other boxers do the same exact thing when preparing for their fights.

They beef up aspects of their training that they already know or improve in general areas.

I have yet to see an opponent spend 2 weeks learning a counter for one of Ippo's moves when they simply never used a counter before.

Or learn an entire new type of boxing 2 weeks before a match... Or learn a new technique during a match... Or learned a move just by hearing it described.

No character pulls the type of crud that Ippo does in a short timeframe. Heck I have yet to see an opponent who "stood no chance against Ippo" suddenly jump up to his level in a single training montage.

Better yet the anime has shown characters attempt to do what Ippo does... and they fail miserably.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:12:21 am by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18446 on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:35 am »

They beef up aspects of their training that they already know or improve in general areas.

I have yet to see an opponent spend 2 weeks learning a counter for one of Ippo's moves when they simply never used a counter before.

Or learn an entire new type of boxing 2 weeks before a match... Or learn a new technique during a match... Or learned a move just by hearing it described.

No character pulls the type of crud that Ippo does in a short timeframe. Heck I have yet to see an opponent who "stood no chance against Ippo" suddenly jump up to his level in a single training montage.

Better yet the anime has shown characters attempt to do what Ippo does... and they fail miserably.

For anyone familiar with Chess Boxing I'd kind of want to see Neonivek's reactions to a hypothetical Mahjong Boxing match between Ippo and Akagi.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18447 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:26 am »

For anyone familiar with Chess Boxing I'd kind of want to see Neonivek's reactions to a hypothetical Mahjong Boxing match between Ippo and Akagi.
That's pure sick genius. Akagi can really fight too, but I wonder how he'd do with a public audience watching.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18448 on: July 21, 2014, 11:56:14 am »

I totally agree with everything you had to say about Elfen Lied, I watched it all and it's terrible.

Planetes, Hellsing Ultimate, Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, and Berserk
I crossed out the ones I haven't seen.

Uh, I don't remember humor being that frequent in Berserk.. The humor fit in Planetes because it's about civilians, and Black Lagoon was never serious enough for it to bug me.

There is no fanservice in Planetes. There's only the one scene late in Berserk where Casca is naked (unless you also count that steaming hot water fight between Gutts and Griffith). I don't recall exactly what it was like in Black Lagoon but I have a vague impression it was pretty frequent. I probably enjoyed the action too much to care. There was also the weird thing with those kids but that wasn't fanservice, that just had to do with sex..

Oh, I wasn't referring to those when I was speaking of fanservice. None of them qualify, really.
I was speaking more broadly and in particular actually about Jormungand, because it was mentioned, and some others I've seen recently like Knights of Sidonia.
Maybe fanservice is fine for otaku who watch things alone and only communicate with others like that, but for people who like to sit down and enjoy a show or movie with friends, fanservice can absolutely kill the evening or make you just not even watch it due to the supreme awkwardness. It's cringey and unpleasant to experience in general, regardless, if you aren't watching the show to get aroused.

I haven't seen the Berserk anime, only the movies and roughly all of the manga (barring the newest chapters) and there are certain comedic elements that disrupt the atmosphere (Puck... all of the elves, looking at you.) I understand that it's in some respects the "Japanese way" to try and lighten up heavy moments and atmosphere with silliness to not overbear the audience, but I would respect a full commitment to theme much more. If your work is depressing, let it be depressing; That's what the viewer expects and accepts and likely part of the reason they are there.

Anyway, that's a more detailed version of what I took away from it. It's very much a debatable topic.

You know, that's a much better explanation of the movie than what I gave it credit for. I've only seen it once, and was so irritated at the ending that I didn't bother to actually examine the motivations and conversations carefully (like you clearly have.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:01:13 pm by Hawkfrost »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18449 on: July 21, 2014, 11:57:14 am »

actually have there be a real permanent injury or die because they were a moron.
Have you read/seen Tomorrow's Joe??
Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 [1230] 1231 1232 ... 2193