Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065289 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18390 on: July 19, 2014, 09:23:15 pm »

Speaking of, if you do wind up liking Higurashi, I would recommend against the anime of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (a sort of sequel), and instead skip straight to the visual novel, if you're interested enough. This is largely because the anime badly needs a second season to complete the story, which it will probably never get due to poor reception, and because they subtly ruin your ability to solve the relevant mysteries by showing you a scene during the first episode that contradicts the core revelation that solves a ton of mysteries. That said, the novel also doesn't ever explicitly tell you the key, fundamental truth behind everything either, so even though it gets awfully damn close, even my spoiler will only contain a tremendous hint that you still probably don't want until after finishing it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I never actually did read the Higurashi VNs, though, but I'll agree that you need to watch both seasons of the anime in order to grasp what's really going on, and what show you've actually been watching this whole time.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18391 on: July 19, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:22:37 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18392 on: July 19, 2014, 10:26:23 pm »

Watched the second episode of Nichijou, after watching the first episode months ago.

This show man. Words fail me.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18393 on: July 19, 2014, 10:30:54 pm »

Everyone should watch Princess Jellyfish too. No spoilers.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18394 on: July 19, 2014, 10:35:04 pm »

Is it anything like Squid Girl?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18395 on: July 19, 2014, 10:41:13 pm »

Nothing like Squid Girl, or anything like most other animes really.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18396 on: July 19, 2014, 10:59:44 pm »

Aw.. I like Squid Girl..

*googles Princess Jellyfish*

*read*  *read*  *read*

!

Hey! This has hardly anything to do with fish at all!
* GUNINANRUNIN throws a book at Reelya for bamboozling him!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18397 on: July 20, 2014, 12:06:38 am »

But squid aren't fish, either. ^_^

Yes, though, Princess Jellyfish is probably one of my absolute favourites, right up there with Princess Tutu, Dennou Coil, and anything by Tanemura Arina (Full Moon wo Sagashite's been mentioned several times in the long history of this thread, but I also like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne - I probably wouldn't recommend it to people whose tastes I don't already have a good grasp on, though, considering I still remember getting laughed out of anime club <_<). 

They're a bit unlikely to be similar to your preferences given that you like SAO, which I unabashedly dislike, but some other general recommendations that aren't too long (13-26 episodes):
>Haibane Renmei
>Honey & Clover
>Planetes
>From the New World/Shinsekai Yori
>Spice and Wolf
>Kimi ni Todoke

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18398 on: July 20, 2014, 12:10:42 am »

I haven't watched Sword Art Online? Unless you weren't talking to me. :S

I've seen Planetes! That was awesome! I love the realistic depiction of EVA and watching them recover stuff. <3

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18399 on: July 20, 2014, 12:11:17 am »

@Reelya: The first Higurashi series only has one answer arc, they swapped arcs 5 and 6 around.

@Bauglir: I don't think the anime actually fucks up that badly?  As far as I remember the opening scenes are very similar to the VN.

Incidentally I'd recommend re-reading the first VN after you have read Our Confession and realised The Truth, it's like an entirely different story (and also you get to see how blatant the audience manipulation is from the very start).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18400 on: July 20, 2014, 12:19:02 am »

MagmaFry who sparked the request for shows was the one who only saw SAO, that's who it was directed at.

@Reelya: The first Higurashi series only has one answer arc, they swapped arcs 5 and 6 around.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_When_They_Cry#Anime
The first anime series, produced by Studio Deen and directed by Chiaki Kon, covers the four question arcs as well as the first two answer arcs.

There are 6 arcs covered in season 1, and there are only 4 question arcs on the franchise. Therefore two of them have to be answer arcs, even if they're swapped around.

Arcs in the game were released as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_When_They_Cry#Story_arcs
Questions:
Onikakushi-hen
Watanagashi-hen
Tatarigoroshi-hen
Himatsubushi-hen

Answers:
Meakashi-hen (solves Watanagashi-hen)
Tsumihoroboshi-hen (solves Onikakushi-hen)
Minagoroshi-hen (solves Tatarigoroshi-hen)
Matsuribayashi-hen (wraps up loose ends)

Whereas the anime, the order is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_When_They_Cry_episodes
Onikakushi-hen
Watanagashi-hen
Tatarigoroshi-hen
Himatsubushi-hen
Meakashi-hen
Tsumihoroboshi-hen
For season 1

i.e. there is no difference in the arc orders, according to wikipedia. I had made a mistake in saying that arcs 4 and 5 were related, it's been a while, and I forgot the order. But it is correct to say season 1 has 4 question arcs and 2 answer arcs.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:33:13 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18401 on: July 20, 2014, 12:22:24 am »

I've seen Planetes! That was awesome! I love the realistic depiction of EVA and watching them recover stuff. <3
Oh, I apologize.  I assumed that people were still giving out general anime recommendations due to MagmaMcFry's newest introduction to anime through SAO last page.  I didn't mean to make it seem like it was addressed to you in particular.  Sorry about that. ^_^

I definitely agree on Planetes, 100%.  It was definitely one of the most realistic anime I've seen on living and working in space, and it did it well.  It started out with building up compelling characters through seeing into their daily lives, then gradually built up to the main story that took it through to the end. 

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18402 on: July 20, 2014, 12:22:58 am »

@Bauglir: I don't think the anime actually fucks up that badly?  As far as I remember the opening scenes are very similar to the VN.

Incidentally I'd recommend re-reading the first VN after you have read Our Confession and realised The Truth, it's like an entirely different story (and also you get to see how blatant the audience manipulation is from the very start).
Hm, I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've watched the anime, but I was pretty sure that's how they handled that scene. Also, so I've heard about the first VN - I just need to muster the willpower to actually get into it again. It's good stuff, but boy is it long.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18403 on: July 20, 2014, 12:32:40 am »

@Reelya: right, I was confused, the anime actually adds one extra arc to try and explain something that was skipped over previously (the "disaster-awakening" arc).

@Bauglir: You could try the voice/sprites patch, it makes it a lot more lively.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18404 on: July 20, 2014, 12:37:31 am »

Actually, it looks like the "extra" Higurashi arc is at the start of season 2. I'd previously thought it was at the end. Well you learn something every day. Other than that, a check of the episode lists shows the anime arcs were in the same order as the games.
Pages: 1 ... 1225 1226 [1227] 1228 1229 ... 2193