Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065853 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18300 on: July 14, 2014, 09:19:41 pm »

@Neonivek

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:54:48 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18301 on: July 14, 2014, 11:52:38 pm »

Are you sure that comment was meant for me, and not Neonivek or someone? I've seen the whole thing and didn't comment about the that.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18302 on: July 14, 2014, 11:55:28 pm »

Oop. Fixed. That was for Neonivek. You and him kind of blend a bit in my brain-canon. :v

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18303 on: July 15, 2014, 07:34:22 pm »

I just love the lack of awareness in Hajime No Ippo

Because now our hero is fighting against a "Genius"...

Forgetting ENTIRELY that Ippo is essentially a boxing genius far more then all the characters in the anime.

Why is it that some animes try hard to make our hero the underdog by completely discounting their nearly unbelievable feats? "You can't win you are weak"
Me: "What show have you been watching? he been pulling victories out of his butt for the last 20 episodes"

ugh it goes on and on... Look anime... it takes absolutely nothing to change Ippo into the top dog in this anime... I don't have to rewrite a thing about him.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:36:57 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18304 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:37 pm »

Er. He's got some natural talent, but not as much as a lot of the other people he faces.. Ippo trains really hard. He edges out nearly every match. Ippo isn't an underdog, but he's no genius either. In all the matches except the one against Sendo the crowd is cheering for both fighters.

When you say "genius", if you're talking about Kobashi Kenta, the guy who was spying on Ippo..
Spoiler: Actual Spoilers (click to show/hide)

He's a boxer who can win by points. Not a lot can do that. So you could say he's a pretty smart guy. As an out-boxer he doesn't have a lot of power.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:05:03 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18305 on: July 15, 2014, 08:18:24 pm »

He's got some natural talent, but not as much as a lot of the other people he faces.. Ippo trains really hard. He edges out nearly every match. Ippo isn't an underdog, but he's no genius either

The entire length of the anime is exactly one year. At which time he has mastered basic boxing (he is essentially a blackbelt) and can pretty much learn any advanced technique in less than a month and has more talent then many of the characters who have been training for years and years. Not to mention he has learned many moves instantly without practice, a few without even needing to be taught. As well his body's conditioning has already perfect for boxing from the very start as well as his mental state of mind.

By what merit is he not a Boxing Genius?

If he was younger I'd call him a prodigy.

Sure he needs to "edge out the competition" which is a term I use loosely because frankly... as I said it is easy to spin it so he looks like the top dog without changing any of the details... what with his power being so great every opponent he had to face had to essentially not get hit.

Some guy who just joined boxing less than a year ago who studies your style and learns a counter specific to beat you... using his overwhelming power to defeat you. That is Grade A villain potential.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:25:09 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18306 on: July 15, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »

The entire length of the anime is exactly one year. At which time he has mastered basic boxing (he is essentially a blackbelt) and can pretty much learn any advanced technique in less than a month and has more talent then many of the characters who have been training for years and years. Not to mention he has learned many moves instantly without practice, a few without even needing to be taught. As well his body's conditioning has already perfect for boxing from the very start as well as his mental state of mind.

By what merit is he not a Boxing Genius?

If he was younger I'd call him a prodigy.

Sure he needs to "edge out the competition" which is a term I use loosely because frankly... as I said it is easy to spin it so he looks like the top dog without changing any of the details... what with his power being so great every opponent he had to face had to essentially not get hit.

Some guy who just joined boxing less than a year ago who studies your style and learns a counter specific to beat you... using his overwhelming power to defeat you. That is Grade A villain potential.
You're talking about the Rookie fighting league, which he wins he's still in high school (everyone in there is about the same age as him, they're all teenagers, except for the American Jason Ozuma who's an officer from overseas so he's likely a 20 something). He started training when he was 17, and won the All Japan JBC when he was 18. All the other boxers had similar experience except Sendo I think, who's a natural brawler.

Currently he's a world contender, about 24 years old. There are two seasons, the first covers up to his first title defense. By the second season he's fighting outside of Japan. That's over 2 and a half years at least. He spars with a world contender at one point in the first season who is disappointed at his abilities. He's by no means the best, especially if you think about his rival, who he was meant to fight, but lost due to an injury.

I don't think you give this anime enough credit. It's got a really colorful cast and it covers a lot of information about both the contenders every time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18307 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:44 pm »

What discredit am I doing beyond saying that the anime goes WAY too far to try to discredit Ippo and make him seem a lot less capable then what he really is.

Which is a genius boxer (Genius is talent not skill). He is very inexperienced but a genius non-the-less.

So sometimes when it covers the "other contendor" it tends to be like "ohh the competitor is super talented, unlike our dunce Ippo" and I go "Goodness... stop trying to make Ippo look bad to make his victory seem all the greater. It doesn't work because we already seen Ippo instantly master Boxing in three months... We don't buy it Anime"

Basically when it comes to Ippo they often don't give credit where credit is due. Often summarizing Ippo as "Strong, but not much else" (heck one episode managed to REMOVE an ability he had in an earlier match)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:08:22 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18308 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:01 pm »

He doesn't get good technique until later (see: Dempsey roll). He still gets hit way too much in the Rookie league, even when he tightens up his guard and learns to evade for the Ozama fight, and he gets caught out by his opponents' better technique a lot. He's strong because of his helping with his mother's business ever since his dad died. So yeah, his biggest advantage is his strength, and it's totally justified.

They don't paint him as a moron, he just has a meek personality because of his growing up being bullied.. I'm sure some people can relate to that. It stands out especially because of his other much older friends at the gym who take advantage of his naivety and mess with him. He makes a lot of mistakes in the ring but pulls it out because of his determination.

EDIT: Even after the JBC, he's still only ranked 10th, despite being rookie of the year. If he was a genius, he would've won that first sparring match against Miyata. :p
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:37:09 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18309 on: July 15, 2014, 10:46:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ehh my long winded way of saying... It isn't that the show never gives him credit, it is just that they don't always do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:51:20 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18310 on: July 15, 2014, 11:12:44 pm »

^^I can see that.

Spoiler: Long-winded response (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18311 on: July 15, 2014, 11:15:29 pm »

Direction changing ability.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18312 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:51 pm »

Direction changing ability? What do you mean?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18313 on: July 15, 2014, 11:21:38 pm »

Direction changing ability? What do you mean?

uhhhh....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18314 on: July 15, 2014, 11:27:13 pm »

He forgets how to change direction? I don't understand. Which two fights were these even a thing?
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 2193