Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066024 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18285 on: July 13, 2014, 02:01:32 am »

Ok here is something...

Does anyone know a fighting anime where punches don't exist in the punch dimension?

Or more specifically... where characters aren't "vaguely hurt". (Oddly enough I am not even thinking of an anime specifically... because Anime runs by the "the more hurt you are, the stronger you become"... I am actually thinking of a non-anime Beware the Batman... where he takes blows that should hospitalize him like they were nothing... making fights basically not matter because the exchange you see on screen doesn't mean anything)

I swear protagonists in anime are like the shields from startrek. As soon as they are at 30% they are actually at 90%.

Hmm maybe that Boxing anime is like that... hmm..
YuYu Hakasho and Hajime no Ippo. People get trashed in those. Ippo is a boxing anime and its pretty realistic (take that with a grain of salt, because its still dramatic, in a good way. Real boxing is boring).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18286 on: July 14, 2014, 12:38:52 am »

Haijime no Ippo is so far so good actually.

I am DESPERATELY begging for our hero not to have his "revenge against the bullies" episode... soo much.

Mostly because I have a lot of respect for people who can hurt people and chose not to... and him just deciding to beat someone to a pulp for picking on him feels like a fallen hero moment (unless the episode spins that).

Why am I worried? because they strongly imply it is going to happen eventually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18287 on: July 14, 2014, 12:44:48 am »

I am DESPERATELY begging for our hero not to have his "revenge against the bullies" episode... soo much.

It never happens.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: July 14, 2014, 01:04:08 am »

It never happens.

Ohhh thank goodness.

I was really worried there.

I remember one anime I fell in love with in the first episode because the main character basically fights with a special martial art based around defeating your opponent without harming them... and generally speaking liked to defuse people rather then argue with them. Mind you the anime wasn't about martial arts and there was no fighting afterwards AND the hero ended up being a rather boring redeemer character. (In otherwords it was an anime I fell inlove with the first episode... but the rest was meh)

Mind you not the worst Redeemer, that goes to Kaijudo's main character... because whether or not he "believes in someone's inherent goodness" or not depends on a roll of the dice and yet everyone seems to believe he is "the most trusting person in the universe" for taking "we have no other choice" deals... and that wasn't even an anime. I really REALLY hope I never see a worse redeemer.

But really I just don't want a "might makes right" hero right now.

I am a weenie
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:07:21 am by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18289 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:07 am »

Ippo is too surprised at his own talent to ever use it if someone isn't telling him to every five seconds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18290 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:05 am »

Ippo is too surprised at his own talent to ever use it if someone isn't telling him to every five seconds.

In all fairness with the condition his body was in at the start of the anime... he easily could have beaten up, or at least avoided... the bullies.

Add in his naturally high pain tolerance and really the only reason the bullies could beat him up was because he was wimpy (Though he describes it as hurting his feelings more then it hurt his body)

Though you seem to be right... he never seems to realize that the reason he always got beat up was because he was a weenie, but because he was "weak".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:12:13 am by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18291 on: July 14, 2014, 05:08:19 am »

The one thing I really sorely hate about Hajime No Ippo is that Ippo has a romantic interest that he NEVER makes a move on. The timeline of the story encompasses years and years of his life, and this girl is just sitting in the background remaining abstinent just for him, and he never gets out of this pathetic naive mindset enough to actually just get it on with her.

It really turned me off from the whole series, really.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18292 on: July 14, 2014, 01:15:04 pm »

Did you ever read Tomorrow's Joe, Josh? Hox finished scanlating it this year, and it's pretty great.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18293 on: July 14, 2014, 03:09:30 pm »

The one thing I really sorely hate about Hajime No Ippo is that Ippo has a romantic interest that he NEVER makes a move on. The timeline of the story encompasses years and years of his life, and this girl is just sitting in the background remaining abstinent just for him, and he never gets out of this pathetic naive mindset enough to actually just get it on with her.

It really turned me off from the whole series, really.

Wow and here I thought the series was about how Boxing "makes you a MAN!!!" but apparently not.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18294 on: July 14, 2014, 05:28:25 pm »

Anyone know a good place to watch english-subbed anime with decent quality video/audio? All I've found so far is places that give voices a terrible robotic echo and the video quality constantly drops to grain-silo quality every 5 minutes.
---If I can find a good place for subs, I will get to watching!
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18295 on: July 14, 2014, 05:30:57 pm »

streaming and decent quality do not mix

there are plenty places to very very legally acquire lots of things that have been mentioned here and at one point even plain linked to

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18296 on: July 14, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »

streaming and decent quality do not mix

there are plenty places to very very legally acquire lots of things that have been mentioned here and at one point even plain linked to
Do note that yes I am willing to pay for it, I just need some recommendations on where to go to get said stuff set up.
Overall I see your point is what I'm saying.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18297 on: July 14, 2014, 05:54:31 pm »

Crunchyroll is the obvious one, although your ability to get decent quality will depend on your connection speed.  They usually have most of the big releases and a pretty decent backlog (notably including stuff like Fate/Zero and Attack on Titan).

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18298 on: July 14, 2014, 06:01:33 pm »

Crunchyroll is the obvious one, although your ability to get decent quality will depend on your connection speed.  They usually have most of the big releases and a pretty decent backlog (notably including stuff like Fate/Zero and Attack on Titan).
My connection details aren't anything(for me) to worry about. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18299 on: July 14, 2014, 08:52:41 pm »

Odd I thought I couldn't use Crunchyroll... but apperantly I can...
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 2193