Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067592 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #18015 on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:50 pm »

What? I just check NGNL on MAL and the rating jumped to 8.84, up from 8.80 this morning, putting it ahead of Death Note and Mushishi. It's hard to believe this raking, and that the ranking jumped so fast.
Internet hype. The hype train has no brakes. Surprised it got higher than KLK though, considering how popular KLK got to be.
It's basically the perfect storm of otaku-bait. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm totally judging everyone who watches it while pretending I haven't, though. *cough*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18016 on: June 25, 2014, 09:47:08 pm »

What? I just check NGNL on MAL and the rating jumped to 8.84, up from 8.80 this morning, putting it ahead of Death Note and Mushishi. It's hard to believe this raking, and that the ranking jumped so fast.
Internet hype. The hype train has no brakes. Surprised it got higher than KLK though, considering how popular KLK got to be.
It's basically the perfect storm of otaku-bait. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm totally judging everyone who watches it while pretending I haven't, though. *cough*
But is it more perfect otaku-bait than Lucky Star?

At the risk of branding myself a sucker for otaku bait, I will say it's got some good content. There's a game of "Materialization Shiritori" against an ancient sentient superweapon that was pretty awesome. The first round of the game started with a hydrogen bomb. And the game got even more hype from there on out. I'd recommend at least watching a few episodes to anyone who hasn't tried it, is interested, and hasn't already written it off as "bad".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18017 on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:04 pm »

I was watching it for a bit, but the huge amount of ecchi (particularly the sexualization of a girl who looks eight) and more importantly the fact that the plot slows rapidly down about three episodes in had me just lose interest and not bother anymore.
Its not that the show is bad, persay, but the fact that there is 16 races and by episode 7 has only conquered one (Humans), I had no faith that the story was going to move forward at any acceptable pace.

In another topic, MAL is really not a good judge of show quality if you go by ratings. All ratings are set by the community and, by and large, average people have poor tastes and will rabidly defend what they like. Look up the average rating for Mahouka, or Naruto. On any proper 10 point metric the former would score a 3 at most, and the latter a 5; Even on the 4 point metric the site uses a rough rounding of 8 for both is ridiculous.
There is no reliable authority for anything, but you stand a better chance of getting a fair verdict when the series is more obscure and not on the hype train.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18018 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:57 pm »

"This week, watch as Tatsuya becomes a GIGOLO!"
Oh man, I'd love a Killer is Dead anime. Maybe it would actually explain something.
So I picked an anime at random. Black Bullet is essentially Attack on Titan crossed with Killer is Dead (but not as amazing as that sounds so far), and injected that combination with lolis. Thank god they hang a big ol' lampshade on the latter or I might feel creepy. :P

E: 5 minutes in to episode 2 and the lolis are bothering me again... Can anyone recommend an action anime that doesn't have ten year olds in it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:43:13 pm by NobodyPro »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18019 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:19 pm »

So I picked an anime at random. Black Bullet is essentially Attack on Titan crossed with Killer is Dead (but not as amazing as that sounds so far), and injected that combination with lolis. Thank god they hang a big ol' lampshade on the latter or I might feel creepy. :P

E: 5 minutes in to episode 2 and the lolis are bothering me again... Can anyone recommend an action anime that doesn't have ten year olds in it.
I've tried Black Bullet, it feels really rushed. 4 episodes and people were commenting that it felt like a whole series had passed. They just cram so much into the time span of one episode that it just goes too fast for me to enjoy. Also I felt there was too much forced exposition to keep the audience aware of what was going on. Show it, don't tell it, y'know.

I read that much of this was because the animators were trying to fit entire arcs of manga into a few episodes so they could catch up with the manga, or something along those lines. It was a crunchyroll comment, so factual accuracy is debatable. Anyway, once the series reached a plot point it was supposed to get less...crammed with events. Or so I heard. It does have a unique sorta concept, what with the uber powered ten year olds and the virus that turns people into digimon.

Anyway, action that doesn't have 10 year olds...Berserk?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18020 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:12 am »

You now, my brain must really be fried by exams because I forgot that I haven't watched Berserk or JoJo yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18021 on: June 26, 2014, 12:25:29 am »

Pretty sure Hellsing has no 10-year-olds, unless you count Schrodinger.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18022 on: June 26, 2014, 12:55:33 am »

You now, my brain must really be fried by exams because I forgot that I haven't watched Berserk or JoJo yet.
Don't watch, read. For the former at least, JoJo can go with both. I mean, you can watch Berserk, but that's sort of like watching the A New Hope if Empire and Jedi had never been made and they'd stopped production of the first at the point where Wedge misses his torpedo shot.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18023 on: June 26, 2014, 12:57:12 am »

Don't watch, read. For the former at least, JoJo can go with both. I mean, you can watch Berserk, but that's sort of like watching the A New Hope if Empire and Jedi had never been made and they'd stopped production of the first at the point where Wedge misses his torpedo shot.
That was Red Leader, not Wedge.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18024 on: June 26, 2014, 12:58:42 am »

That was Red Leader, not Wedge.
Oh yeah, my bad, RL was still Dreis in that fight.

3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18025 on: June 26, 2014, 01:33:28 am »

Berserk has 10 year olds. Oddly enough Hellsing (manga and anime remake) somewhat briefly has 10 year olds, even discounting Schrodinger. I don't think Samurai Champloo has any ten year olds, though Fuu's a bit slight and flat-chested.

Hm... most shonen I know of is made of children, and all the exceptions that come to mind still have at least one. I'm sure I've seen something with no little ones in it, but aside from Samurai Champloo nothing's coming to me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: June 26, 2014, 06:01:51 am »

To be honest I can see why the Berserk anime decided to just do the Golden Age arc, it feels a lot more coherent in terms of tone and themes than the later ones.
Trigun?

e: and Fate/Zero, although I guess they did give Tohsaka an episode for some reason.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18027 on: June 26, 2014, 06:20:02 am »

JoJo totes has kids. Not gonna go into much detail though since one of them's gonna appear in a few weeks at most in the anime.

Also, I have to confess that I avoid bad shows whenever I can. Not because they're bad, but because I would probably like them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:21:50 am by Darvi »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: June 26, 2014, 06:55:58 am »

Trigun?
Trigun totally has children in it, for that one part. And that other arc. And at least a cameo around that certain guy, I think?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: June 26, 2014, 10:22:17 am »

Black Lagoon doesn't have kids in except for a couple of episodes.

I was gonna say, but then I remembered Jim Hawking, but then I looked it up and apparently he's actually eleven years old. :P It certain is easy to forget that Jim is a kid, since he's more mature than Gene in most ways.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 2193