Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1194 1195 [1196] 1197 1198 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068132 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17925 on: June 21, 2014, 02:28:14 pm »

Princess Tutu

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17926 on: June 21, 2014, 02:49:19 pm »

Has anyone else seen Hataraku Hataraku Maou-Sama!? Note that the exclamation point is part of the title. It's based off of a manga from what I can tell, and I'm wondering if it's worth a watch.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17927 on: June 21, 2014, 02:55:10 pm »

I was just pointing out that a grief-fueled mecha existed within the realm of anime.

------------
Another genre I like is Magical Girl, I want some suggestions, but not Sailor Moon or Madoka Magica (I have been into those for a while now).
(yay for random total feeling change via subject change, lol)

Nanoha
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17928 on: June 21, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »

I second that notion.

Given that she's basically a Gundam in a skirt, it's not surprising that Furt suggests it, though.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17929 on: June 21, 2014, 03:04:34 pm »

Yeah, I liked Hataraku Maou-Sama quite a bit. it's only got one "Hataraku" though.

Basically, a fantasy-world demon king faces defeat by the Hero, and escapes through a dimensional portal, ending up in modern-day Tokyo. He finds that he no longer has powers, so has to work at the local MgRonald's Family Restaurant to make ends meet. There have been a few other similar shows in recent years, but this was the best one.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:11:59 pm by Reelya »

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17930 on: June 21, 2014, 03:08:06 pm »

Yeah, I liked Hataraku Maou-Sama quite a bit. it's only got one "Hataraku" though.

Basically, a fantasy-world demon king faces defeat by the Hero, and escapes through a dimensional portal, ending up in modern-day Tokyo. He finds that he no longer has powers, so has to work at the local MgRonald's Family Restaurant to make ends meet. There have been a few other similar shows in recent years, but this was the best one.

That sounds like it could be really funny if pulled off well. I think I'll give it a shot.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17931 on: June 21, 2014, 03:08:14 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:12:10 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17932 on: June 21, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »

Princess Tutu

This one. It's stolen my "favorite show period" slot by a landside.
I've heard a bit about it, I'll give it a try sometime.

I second that notion.

Given that she's basically a Gundam in a skirt, it's not surprising that Furt suggests it, though.
So she's Nobel Gundam from G gundam? (lol)
This sounds enticing...but I'm still open to more suggestions....I love anime to the point it's unhealthy (who doesn't lol).
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17933 on: June 21, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »

(who doesn't lol).
*raises hand*

I am positively incapable of, nay, allergic to, love.

Ironically, some people consider me to be some sort of animu guy. Must by my natural sparkle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17934 on: June 21, 2014, 03:16:36 pm »

Princess Tutu

This one. It's stolen my "favorite show period" slot by a landside.

Honestly I originally saw this because I absolutely loved the intro music (It went straight onto my favorites) and then when I saw it I wasn't expecting much. I thought it would be "Sailormoon except if she was a Ballerina" but WOW did this anime just completely exceed all my expectations.

I am not going to give anything more away about it... See it now RekkaAtsuma!

While it isn't my favorite anime... It definitely gets into my top 10... I'd put it above Samurai Champloo (which I didn't like), and Trigun (which... unfortunately I didn't like).

I feed odd... I watched both Samurai Champloo and Trigun because I wanted to watch some good animes... but I just didn't like either of them. I found Champloo's modern day references (and fantasy references) to be more annoying than funny and its fights were amazing but far in-between (I've seen the "Japan invented everything" genre done better and more hilariously), plus most of the anime was just characterization in a large circle (It was DEFINATELY made for a weekly format... not for watching one after the other). While Trigun I just found boring because I found the main character, who should be an archtype I just love, to not be that interesting and the side characters to often have scant to do, as well as the villains to be vastly lame.

Also I am going to nominate Samurai Champloo for #1 in the "Animes where the main characters have immense plot armor"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:24:17 pm by Neonivek »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #17935 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:45 pm »

Also I am going to nominate Samurai Champloo for #1 in the "Animes where the main characters have immense plot armor"

Shouldn't it be automatically disqualified because that was the point? As opposed to a lot of shounens that try to give the illusion of the possibility of defeat, Samurai Champloo didn't actually go that far until closer to the end, but it didn't lose its "I'm a stylized parody" feel in the process (IIRC, IMO).
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17936 on: June 21, 2014, 07:38:28 pm »

Shouldn't it be automatically disqualified because that was the point? As opposed to a lot of shounens that try to give the illusion of the possibility of defeat, Samurai Champloo didn't actually go that far until closer to the end, but it didn't lose its "I'm a stylized parody" feel in the process (IIRC, IMO).

If you watch the whole thing you will see that they didn't keep that level of comedy throughout. Several episodes lightened the comedy load and quite a few REALLY weren't "well the hero is clearly invincible".

The reason it wins is because it doesn't happen once or twice... but multiple times.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17937 on: June 21, 2014, 09:29:33 pm »

I second that notion.

So she's Nobel Gundam from G gundam? (lol)
This sounds enticing...but I'm still open to more suggestions....I love anime to the point it's unhealthy (who doesn't lol).
Basically, for Nanoha the further away from the first season you go, the more apt Gundam in a skirt as a description is. People look like this in the beginning, while the third season starts with something happening, followed by a non-orbital laser.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17938 on: June 21, 2014, 10:11:04 pm »

Ah yea... I remember why I stopped watching the Gunpla show.

The main characters, they get righteously angry over a game... at other players.  I cannot get over that.  I just shake my head and think; Take a chill pill, its just a game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17939 on: June 21, 2014, 11:14:47 pm »

Meh they didn't really get mad because of the game, they got mad because said players were being asses about it.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1194 1195 [1196] 1197 1198 ... 2193