Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064978 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17805 on: June 07, 2014, 11:58:58 am »

Well Jojo began in the 80s actually but anyways as I heard it, Duwang was the result of some Chinese students who decided to re translate Part 4 from Chinese to English as their final project for their English class. They failed the class.

But their legend shall live on for all time
It might be too I wouldn't know other than good god just reading them.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17806 on: June 07, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »

But their legend shall live on for all time

I just... wat? There's just so many good things to laugh at I don't know where to start.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17807 on: June 08, 2014, 05:40:45 am »

17 episodes into Trigun now.

...Holy shit.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17808 on: June 08, 2014, 06:04:54 am »

Just started watching Trigun. My first reaction was "what's the big deal", but I'm only 3 episodes in so take that with a grain of salt. I've seen recommendations for this show many times, but never any specifics about it... maybe because spoilers or something iunno.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17809 on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:56 am »

Mushishi is such a relaxing show. The music, the stories, the characters, the art. The last episode in particular.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17810 on: June 08, 2014, 07:44:57 am »

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17811 on: June 08, 2014, 11:17:35 am »

UGH! It seems that the Fairytale anime has finally learned its lesson about advancing too fast and now the episodes pass glacially.

As well Erza's fighting style seems to get more uninteresting as the series progresses. Since the original appeal, to me at least, was that she was about switching up styles on the fly to gain moment by moment advantages.

Yet now the trend seems to be that unless she is doing a "smart win" she pretty much sticks to one armor if the fight is worth a dang.

Ohh well, whatcha gonna do? Back to Galactic Heroes... Which I hope doesn't have the same issue... (I mean it is an old anime... incredibly slow pacing is par for the course)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:31:09 am by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17812 on: June 08, 2014, 11:58:01 am »

That's probably more due to LotGH being a space opera and less to its age, honestly. If you can't drag out a month of war and drama into six fat novels you aren't doing it right.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17813 on: June 08, 2014, 11:59:12 am »

That's probably more due to LotGH being a space opera and less to its age, honestly. If you can't drag out a month of war and drama into six fat novels you aren't doing it right.

Well I'll put it to you like this... How long do single unimportant battles with no character importance last in terms of episodes?

I mean Fist of the Northstar for example had slow pacing, but fights (even big ones) were often solved pretty quickly.

What I mean is... I hope Legends of Galactic Heroes doesn't enter Dragonball Z territory.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:03:06 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17814 on: June 08, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »

I think I can safely say that there will never be a time where, for example, it takes five episodes to launch a volley of missiles. There may, however, be times where it takes five episodes to detail all of the planning and events leading up to that moment. I suppose that's the hinge of space opera: if you enjoy tons of character drama and worldbuilding, it's great; if you want to see things blowing up constantly, it's boring.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17815 on: June 08, 2014, 12:07:31 pm »

Naw I am fine without things blowing up.

So long as the anime doesn't sit still.

Other series with annoying pacing habits?
-Gundam Wing with its Clip show episodes... some of which can be back to back
-Peach Girl and its sliding back and forth character development and "will they won't they" attitude.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17816 on: June 08, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »

What I mean is... I hope Legends of Galactic Heroes doesn't enter Dragonball Z territory.
I think the difference is novel pacing vs manga pacing. Stuff derived from novels tends to be more concise or at least more directed and less rambling endlessly, whereas DBZ type mangas drag the action on for years: "come back next week for the next exciting chapter of ..."

Toaru Majutsu no Index and Strike The Blood are good examples of light-novel pacing. They translate to anime as a series of 4 episode arcs, each arc introduces a new threat, with battles, side stories, mysteries then a big conclusion / battle. It's certainly a less drawn out style than your typical shonen manga.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17817 on: June 08, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:23:55 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17818 on: June 08, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »

Toriyama is a really interesting writer.

I mean the Buu saga was written as manga suicide (or so they say, but honestly I actually like it more then the Cell Saga)... But he seems like he had too much pride to make it utter trash.

It kind of reminds me of Kung-fu Hustle (I think that was the name) where:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think the difference is novel pacing vs manga pacing.

Honestly anything can drag, just that the type of "dragging its heels" is the most noticeable in action shonen and the most common as well.

I think it is mostly a format issue.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17819 on: June 08, 2014, 12:54:45 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:23:53 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 2193