Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3062602 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17685 on: June 02, 2014, 05:51:13 pm »

Neo, you're making assumptions again~

On the contrary

I am guessing based on what others have said. I have no idea what Attack on Titan is even as a series.

The two reasons I never see Attack on Titan is because
A) I don't like Gore
and
B) The subculture of Attack on Titan are nitwits who enjoy the dumb moments or the moments where the main character is constantly beaten up (which happens SO much... that there are SEVERAL montages on it)... So basically you couldn't make a series more unattractive.
C) Attack on Titan is becoming Battlestar Galactica

So I am waiting until the hype wears off before I even attempt it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17686 on: June 02, 2014, 05:52:43 pm »

Neo, you're making assumptions again~
On the contrary

I am guessing based on what others have said. I have no idea what Attack on Titan is even as a series.
So yeah, you're making assumptions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17687 on: June 02, 2014, 05:56:21 pm »

An assumption is to make a guess and believe it is true. :P

If it was just guessing then anyone who said "your just making assumptions" would be a total jerk! :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17688 on: June 02, 2014, 06:02:49 pm »

Neonivek actively avoids watching stuff he'll enjoy, we know this by now

I walked into this knowing nothing about it. It happened to be on. Never again!
Uh, what?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17689 on: June 02, 2014, 06:07:03 pm »

I'mma guess he watched an episode of the Toonami dub?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17690 on: June 02, 2014, 06:08:38 pm »

My main approach to any show, really.

Which, uh, doesn't mean a lot sunce I don't watch that many,

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17691 on: June 02, 2014, 06:15:47 pm »

Neonivek actively avoids watching stuff he'll enjoy, we know this by now

This is true... but not in the jerkish way your implying.

I stay away from stuff that gets a LOT of hype as to being "great" because it becomes so great that I have to save it until later... then I never get to it (I STILL need to play Return to Zork)

The exception to these rules are Comedy and "non-straight" animes (being things like Detective, Hobby, cooking, or what have you anime).

But to my knowledge the "Save things for later and then never ending up using them" is not an uncommon trait in people.

I am watching Fairytail though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:31:20 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17692 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:07 pm »

That sounds more like trhe result of it's reputation getting inflated over the years by the fanbase due to the entire franchise being accumulated as a whole rather than the fault of the producers or the show itself :V

It's not really "inflated over the years" in this case. It's that it was the first crossover anime series to really hit mainstream America in the late 90's in a big way. So it was hype from day one.

Yamato and Macross etc, were broadcast in the 70s and 80s with pretty much every refererence to Japan possible excised. So a lot of people watched those, but the majority just viewed them as cartoons, albeit really cool ones.

Then in the mid 90's you had Western conciousness coming along about this "manga" thing as they called "anime" back then, with Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll movies being bit hits in the west with their dubbed versions.

And then the next "big" sci-fi tv anime that came along was NGE. The rest is history. It was just lucky that it came out when it did to get noticed.

Actually i never watched the whole show until years later, but I remember going to peoples houses and them telling me about this NGE thing and seeing little bits of it on VHS. It looked cool and i kinda imagined what the plot was about. Turns out my imaginary version was way cooler than the actual show.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:29:32 pm by Reelya »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17693 on: June 02, 2014, 08:34:02 pm »

Care to elaborate?

Ahegao faces everywhere. Angst galore. Gore galore. An "im'ma be the central figure of the world and kill all the titans RAWR ... OH GOD WHY CAN'T I STAND UP STRAIGHT IN THIS BELT .. This is terrible and I'm going to go cry in a corner" character. Then it's almost nothing but *grrr stern face* for awhile and "we are humans fighting collectively against titans but I'm going to fuck you over to get what I want." It's not even rats fleeing a sinking ship or a drowning victim trying to get to the top of the human flotilla, but practically an extortion racket of "I'm only in it for me" from at least one character that is joining a collective army. The ruling class doing it? That's par for the course. A shopkeeper, maybe. But an army grunt? Titans are a known horror and there's this long exposition... did I forget about ALL THE EXPOSITION?! ... long exposition about people joining the army not having ever seen a Titan and they think it'll be a cakewalk filled with honor and glory ... did I forget ALL THE EXPOSITION of the past few years of mass numbers of people starving? The whole thing starts with "look at all this blood and gore and bad things. LOOK AT IT!!! I'm going to rub your face in it. Everyone is starving." and gets to "we're all prissy soldiers la de da *grr face* most of us have never felt hardship these past 3 years."

I walked into this knowing nothing about it. It happened to be on. Never again!

To be fair, a lot of these are actually there for a reason.
The point is that Eren IS an incompetent braggart; he's constantly throwing himself into shit much too big for himself to handle and Mikasa always has to try and pull him out of it.

Annie is a bitch, and that's her thing. The reason why she only cares about herself becomes a plot element later on that is actually very significant.

Most of the recruits have never seen a Titan, but they have been fed propaganda all their childhood to make them think they stand a chance. What kind of government would blatantly tell potential soldiers that they will die horribly? It makes sense for them to be smug and overconfident. And people DO act like complete shitballs during a bad situation and try to extort the populace to get what they want.

B) The subculture of Attack on Titan are nitwits who enjoy the dumb moments or the moments where the main character is constantly beaten up (which happens SO much... that there are SEVERAL montages on it)... So basically you couldn't make a series more unattractive.

This is a good idea, do this.
I am completely and stubbornly ignoring the entire fanbase so that they don't make me hate it, as someone who read the manga before the show came out and had to deal with this new wave of frothing MSPA fans who poured over.
And you are completely right in saying they miss all of the good, deeper elements of the show in lieu of the dumb comedy bits that got added when it was made into an anime.

As a comment to all, I honestly think the manga has better pacing, impact, and doesn't mess around as much. Just read that if the show is pissing you off, it really is quite good as a new work of IP in recent years if you can manage to stay away from all the idiots trying to destroy it. And hey, at least most of those don't read the manga.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17694 on: June 02, 2014, 08:50:01 pm »

But to my knowledge the "Save things for later and then never ending up using them" is not an uncommon trait in people.
Procrastination trumps hype every time.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17695 on: June 02, 2014, 08:56:53 pm »

did I forget about ALL THE EXPOSITION?!
Well you should definitely steer clear of Mahouka then. Mahouka (currently airing) is hyped up almost to the AoT level but it's definitely worse. (Luckily it's bad enough that once the hype dies down I expect it to be forgotten). And the exposition is to frankly unbelievable levels. Fights take mere seconds, because the blatant author's proxy MC is so overpowered. Then you absolutely have to have a 5 minute scene where 6 randomly selected girls all talk about how awesome the hero dude is, often followed by another 5 minute explanation of how he beat them by teleporting, seeing through walls, quickly inventing a new type of hacking, and liberally applying technobabble. All accompanied by 3D wireframe CGI graphics as exciting as watching a powerpoint presentation.

Check that out, then get back to me about exposition-heavy shows ;D And this show doesn't even have some elaborate setting that justifies exposition: "they invented magic, and now people go to magical high school. people who can't do magic don't like it". that's it. It baffles me how 15 minutes of each episode manages to be conversations.

It's actually fun to watch because the writing is so abysmally predictable. The MC can't lose a fight, hell he's not even allowed to fight anything that causes him to break a sweat, and he's a genius at everything. yet other guys all pick on him at school (daww) and society just doesn't understand (well, the male half of society. all females are on his side). every guy is beta to his alpha. every girl wants him. total adolosecent fantasy-wank of the highest order.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:15:55 pm by Reelya »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17696 on: June 02, 2014, 11:54:43 pm »

Here's my bit on AoT: Some of your complaints are things that are supposed to upset you. They make that clear as the show goes on - the characters are flawed, and they need to either grow out of it or die horribly. I can't speak to the quality of the dub, and I would highly recommend streaming it so you can skip the opening recaps, which are the primary source of bland exposition. If you stopped watching before Episode 5, you haven't actually seen the show. I know that "It gets really good about 2 hours in" isn't exactly the best way to sell a one-season anime, but here we are. The story they're telling really does need the build-up, to the point where I feel like it'd be better-suited to film, just because an episodic format breaks things up too much and implies the story arcs are more bite-sized than they are. Tragedies, yo.

That said, I might not actually recommend it based on your reaction so far. It does sound like some of (what I take to be) the genre conventions, such as the way facial expressions are done, aren't going to be up your alley. Plus, if you're not into heavy analysis, it's just a quality action thing with a lot of gore, punctuated by periods of relative calm. If you are, though, holy shit it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched in my life.

I'm not exactly trying to push you into watching it, because if it's not your thing it's not your thing, and let's face it, hype is never actually very good for enjoying a series. There are saving graces, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17697 on: June 03, 2014, 04:51:32 pm »

Mahouka
Crap, forgot to ask. Is the manga just as bad as the anime? Apparently there's like nine of them for some reason and the "main" one looks pretty awful, but it's hard to tell this early.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17698 on: June 03, 2014, 04:52:22 pm »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #17699 on: June 03, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »

gif snip
I was expecting him to shoot his sword from the bow. I'm disappointed.
-------
Anyway, finished Girl Friends. Not bad for a first time yuri reader. Was a charming read. I think there was a bit too much gayngst at some points, but gayngst is probably to be expected from two high school girls just realizing that they got a case of the lesbians for each other. Not overly NSFW either, never got too steamy, no blatant fanservice scenes, all in all it was nice and respectable.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 2193