Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3063872 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17640 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:07 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:12:30 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17641 on: May 27, 2014, 08:58:39 pm »

The way my friends reacted when I told them that I had never seen Trigun, it was as though I had committed a cardinal sin.

Is it really that good? Or are they overhyping it?

Trigun is almost facepalming silly until about roughly halfway, where it suddenly gets mostly serious and people start dropping like flies.
During the first half I was pretty nonplussed, but the latter starts pulling together a plotline that is interesting and has some feels.

So yes, they are overhyping it, but it's also a solid show in it's own right as long as you watch all the way through and can tolerate the absurd shenanigans.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17642 on: May 27, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »

The way my friends reacted when I told them that I had never seen Trigun, it was as though I had committed a cardinal sin.

Trigun is almost facepalming silly until about roughly halfway, where it suddenly gets mostly serious and people start dropping like flies.
During the first half I was pretty nonplussed, but the latter starts pulling together a plotline that is interesting and has some feels.

So yes, they are overhyping it, but it's also a solid show in it's own right as long as you watch all the way through and can tolerate the absurd shenanigans.

My all time favorite anime is One Piece, I think I can handle absurd shenanigans.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17644 on: May 28, 2014, 02:13:16 am »

Do you plan to apply decals and all those other softener shit? I have a feeling you won't be needing that, though, as it looks Perfect Grade.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17645 on: May 28, 2014, 06:09:11 am »

Yeah I will, it's an MG. Perfect Grades scare me ._.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:25:28 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17646 on: May 28, 2014, 07:36:08 am »

Yeah I will, it's an MG. Perfect Grades scare me ._.

Same here. I have decal-application problems, so I'm not even the slightest bit confident touching any PGs that I have right now. Currently, they're just looking awesome inside their boxes, unassembled.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17647 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:36 am »

I read the first few light novels, there was that tidbit where they said true flight magic is impossible because something something magical jargon, and yet they circumvent it by failing to fall. Yeah.

They keep adding restrictions just make shit up.

That is like something that would happen in a Comedy.

Not something meant to be taken seriously.

One second... I am trying to find a way to move this giant boulder outside my house. But it is too heavy to move.

I know, if I remove its ability to not move, I could move it.

Luckily I created this inertia/mass eliminator in my spare time. Much easier then just getting a bulldozer.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17648 on: May 28, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »

Sadly, you pretty much nailed it, Neonivek, for how the gravity/flying scene plays out in Mahouka.

First we're told it's recently been proven impossible at school, then the kids head home. Later that evening the sister comes in while the brother is sitting at a desk: "I've made you a cup of coffee, dear brother".

Sister then notices brother doesn't need a chair, he's just hovering there in a "sitting" position looking a bit smug. Sister then says something like (paraphrasing) "Oh my, you've conquered the force of gravity haven't you?", pretty much with about as much emphasis as seeing Futurka's completed Gundam model would have on us.

Sister then says (literal exact quote): "Once again, Brother, you've made the impossible possible". BAARF. I only wish this show was a comedy, but it's so damn dry there's hardly an attempt at humor.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17649 on: May 28, 2014, 05:19:28 pm »

lol
This sounds amazing.

If, at some point, I decide to watch Dragon Ball, should I start with the original, or should I just skip to Z?

You should probably just read the manga because it's a lot better, but definitely start with the original either way. The original series puts a lot of the background of Z into context, and it seems much less developed without DB.
I'll third starting from the beginning. It's definitely got a different feel to it, but if you're interested in DBZ you'll probably still enjoy DB.

My all time favorite anime is One Piece, I think I can handle absurd shenanigans.
I've heard, and this is the only time I've ever head this, that "the manga is better." However, in this particular case it's because of a specific series-wide theme issue.
But again, this is second hand information.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #17650 on: May 30, 2014, 02:37:57 pm »

After surfing the TVTropes for a couple hours late last night I discovered Girl Friends.

It's got a charming art style. I like it. Then again, I don't have any experience with yuri manga. So it might not be all that remarkable of an art style. It's cute though. Like, kawaii desu "squee" levels of cute.

Why are schoolgirl lesbians so adorable, I don't even.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17651 on: May 30, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »

It's really great, and the movie is fantastic. You can watch it without seeing the anime.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #17652 on: May 30, 2014, 03:22:19 pm »

It's really great, and the movie is fantastic. You can watch it without seeing the anime.

Actually, Trigun is one of a few titles (~5 and some Miyazaki's creations which are rather different from anime overall, I think) I ever watched due to plenty of recommendations, and I haven't ever regretted watching it, a contra, I love to watch some episodes again and again.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17653 on: May 30, 2014, 03:30:38 pm »

Given the responses, I think I'll watch the anime first, then the movie, and then I'll begin reading the manga. That way I get the whole experience.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17654 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

It's got a charming art style. I like it. Then again, I don't have any experience with yuri manga. So it might not be all that remarkable of an art style. It's cute though. Like, kawaii desu "squee" levels of cute.

Why are schoolgirl lesbians so adorable, I don't even.
Doesn't seem that remarkable to me, but I wasn't very interested in the subject matter so maybe it didn't carry through properly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 [1177] 1178 1179 ... 2193