Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064486 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17550 on: May 23, 2014, 10:24:19 am »

I enjoyed Genocyber, so there's that.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17551 on: May 23, 2014, 10:54:43 am »

Sadly Bebop is 1998

Most good things in the 80's have either been remade or have fostered more popular series.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17552 on: May 23, 2014, 10:56:57 am »

Dayum. I'm not familiar with the 1980's.

I suppose you could go with the old robot shows; Mazinger Z, Voltes V, and other things.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17553 on: May 23, 2014, 10:59:02 am »

How longs too long? Long series or time wise. "Fist of the North Star" is about 2 hours long but is an enjoyable film I thought. You can find it on Youtube if you want to watch stupidly muscular men exploding peoples heads with their punches and shedding manly tears.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17554 on: May 23, 2014, 11:05:35 am »

Sadly Bebop is 1998

Most good things in the 80's have either been remade or have fostered more popular series.
That's fine, it's still one of those classics that many talk about but I have never seen.
I guess naming a specific time period was a mistake, I just want some somewhat-oldies but goodies.

How longs too long? Long series or time wise. "Fist of the North Star" is about 2 hours long but is an enjoyable film I thought. You can find it on Youtube if you want to watch stupidly muscular men exploding peoples heads with their punches and shedding manly tears.
Series-wise, I guess.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17555 on: May 23, 2014, 11:18:00 am »

The only Anime I remember that could be early enough would be "Tekkaman Blade" from 1992. Looking on Wikipedia it apparently went for 49 episodes with an original series 26 episodes long "Tekkaman: The Space Knight" from 1975.

Teenagers fighting in big robot suits. I don't remember anything about it so I can't give a review on its quality.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17556 on: May 23, 2014, 12:40:35 pm »

I missed out on a lot of "classic" animoos, from the 80s and such. Recommend me one to watch, preferably something that isn't too long, because I've got a hankering and a lot of the newer stuff isn't calling to me.

In terms of classics; the original Record of Lodoss War, The Guyver, and maybe the first Gundam and Macross shows.
Some stuff I've heard of but not seen; Mobile Police Patlabor, Armored Trooper Votoms, and Area 88.

What should be watched regardless is The Psychic Wars, because it is not possible to fathom life without it. You can find it on Youtube.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17557 on: May 23, 2014, 12:54:49 pm »

I just want some somewhat-oldies but goodies.
Bebop. It's so old and yet it's still one of the only Anime doing the 'Space Western' genre.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17558 on: May 23, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

I just want some somewhat-oldies but goodies.
Bebop. It's so old and yet it's still one of the only Anime doing the 'Space Western' genre.
Actually started watching that today. Digging it so far, the music especially.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17559 on: May 23, 2014, 01:02:57 pm »

I'm still waiting for Soli to stream the rest of that show.

*never going to happen*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17560 on: May 23, 2014, 01:10:09 pm »

Genesis Climber Mospeada isn't too long, it was originally stuck onto the end of Robotech/Macross by Harmony Gold. Pretty fun series with some nice mecha. Not quite as epic as Macross though, but it's definitely strongly in the "Real Robot" genre rather than "Super Robot". Mospeada's big selling points are the transforming bike mechas which are really unique to this series, and the characters, they all have decent backstories and motivations, and there is a good male/female dynamic within the protagonist group.

Then there's Space Battleship Yamato, which is a bit older but still worth checking out (either the original or the 2012 remake, though some of the original scenes always make me tear up, but somehow don't really have the same impact in the remake). The original Yamato is great for the feeling of watching old 1950's sci-fi movies. It really gives off that vibe of classic-era sci-fi.

Then, I have this stack of older series here that I *plan* to watch and are said to be awesome, but I'm still working my way through more recent series. This includes :

- Mysterious Cities Of Gold: one I saw as a kid. It's a French/Japanese co-production adventure series set in colonial spanish south America, but with "lost world" high-tech incan ruins and stuff.

- Rose of Versaille: french revolution-era drama. Supposed to be awesome.

- Bubblegum Crisis, Patlabor: older real-robot series. Saw bits of these years ago, plan to rewatch and complete sometime.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:24:30 pm by Reelya »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17561 on: May 23, 2014, 01:43:25 pm »

Ghost in the Shell, the first movie, if you haven't seen it already.  From the late 90s, but still certainly a classic and extremely good.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17562 on: May 23, 2014, 04:18:12 pm »

- Bubblegum Crisis, Patlabor: older real-robot series. Saw bits of these years ago, plan to rewatch and complete sometime.
Patlabor fucking rules! Awesome realistic mecha police-procedural show!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17563 on: May 23, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »

If it's the 80s, the big two of romance were Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road, back when "fansub" meant getting an nth generation VHS tape via mail order with the subtitles spliced in.  Both are somewhat archetypal "love triangle" romantic comedies, especially since they were about as influential in the genre as Sailor Moon and Studio Pierrot's works were in magical girl series, but by the same token, they avoid some of the pitfalls of that the staid retreads of the genre have done since because they aren't blindly following anime genre conventions (which didn't really exist yet). 

Kimagure Orange Road is about a son in a family of espers (telekinetic, teleperception, teleportation, along with some other powers), who must keep their powers secret, but since he and especially his younger twin sisters tend to have trouble with that restriction, they tend to have to move quite often.  After one such transfer, he ends up falling in love with local "delinquent" Madoka, but runs into issues when Madoka's best friend, Hikaru falls in love with him.  A lot of the episodes tend to focus on the wacky hijinks and misunderstandings that ensue as he tries to keep his powers secret on top of the usual love triangle shenanigans and so forth, but quite a few episodes are genuinely sweet as well.  The first movie is also probably noteworthy for noting just what happens when you lead someone on for quite some time before unceremoniously dropping them for their best friend. 

Maison Ikkoku about a student ronin (in the modern sense - someone who has graduated from high school but hasn't passed their college entrance exams; I suppose they'd nowadays be called NEETs) named Yusaku Godai who lives in the titular boarding house and falls in love with the new manager, Kyoko Otonashi, who herself recently came to Maison Ikkoku due to some recent heartbreak.  Twin love triangles end up forming, each centered on Godai and Kyoko.  It's a Rumiko Takahashi work, so there's also an ensemble of eclectic side characters (who mostly tease Godai for their own amusement, though they do get shots in at each other and Kyoko as well), but the focus is on the main two characters.  Godai actually grows as a person throughout the series, as does Kyoko; the usual "comedic misunderstanding" trope that you see so often today is unabashedly used and abused, then preemptively deconstructed in the last few episodes.  Also, arguably one of only two Rumiko Takahashi works that actually has a proper ending (and a really good ending, no less; she should do it more often). 

Honestly, I never really got into Kimagure Orange Road nearly as much as I did Maison Ikkoku - it probably was in part because KOR was unabashedly magical realism while Maison Ikkoku is pure realism (except Yotsuya...he's just odd).  The biggest problem is that neither can be qualified as short - Kimagure Orange Road is the shorter at 48 episodes, 8 OVAs, and two movies, while Maison Ikkoku, as is ordinary for Rumiko Takahashi, clocks in at 96(!) episodes.  If you want to put the time investment into that, I'd also suggest Legend of Galactic Heroes, as Haspen almost said. ;)

Also, this conversation is seriously inspiring to go track down some of the really old recommendations I never picked up, like Patlabor.  Other mentioned stuff: Rose of Versailles is indeed very, very awesome historical fiction, but clocks in at 40 episodes.  Hmmm, out of the specified timeframe, I can think of a few more.  With Cowboy Bebop mentioned, Trigun always used to always be mentioned in the same breath as another Western-styled sci-fi series, though I don't hear as much about it nowadays.  For police comedy, You're Under Arrest tends to come up, and sci-fi comedy of the 80s and 90s can't really go without mentioning Irresponsible Captain Tylor.  I liked the movie Wings of Honneamise quite a bit, except for that one scene which seemed to come out of nowhere.  The original Japanese release of Macross is actually in time-frame, convenient to list alongside Mospeada, and was really good, just as Reelya implies (and at 36 episodes, it's not too long compared to some of the others).  Lodoss Wars and Patlabor are names that come up often; 3x3 Eyes, Battle Angel, and Key the Metal Idol somewhat more infrequently.  Unfortunately, though, I've seen quite a few of these, but looking them up, those three seem to at least be short - OVA length, and not "Legend of Galactic Heroes" OVA. :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17564 on: May 23, 2014, 08:00:04 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:19:45 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 2193