Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065145 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17460 on: May 15, 2014, 10:16:55 pm »

And somebody puts into words why the writers of "Irregular at Magic Highschool" are horrible people.

Because the oppressed have no real ideas about their own oppression and white people should be the ones making the decisions... wait, why is everyone looking at me like a monster? Wasn't what I said incredibly enlightened and wonderful?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: May 15, 2014, 11:44:33 pm »

And somebody puts into words why the writers of "Irregular at Magic Highschool" are horrible people.

Because the oppressed have no real ideas about their own oppression and white people should be the ones making the decisions... wait, why is everyone looking at me like a monster? Wasn't what I said incredibly enlightened and wonderful?

It is all in the framing Glowcat... I know you were being sarcastic Glowcat but you honestly could do it that way. Heck it would make an interesting and tragic series.

A group of slaves for example who have been doing it their entire life so they cannot really see any other way to live are given freedom but are so uneducated and inexperienced that they end up failing to create the better world away from their overlords that they would have desired. Getting in themes of the naiveté of the slaves as well as showing the full effect of their slavery where their tools were simply taken away from them.

In fact that is one of the reasons why there are so many programs in real life that deal entirely with getting minorities jobs and education. Since just because a group isn't actively harmed anymore, it doesn't mean they have the tools to flourish.

After the end of this arc, I'm betting they drop the weed/bloom divide almost completely

Kind of a shame really... The problem, from what I am getting, is that the writer, judging by the complaints here, doesn't have the talents to really pull it off.

He needed to spend more time carefully crafting the environment so that both the weeds and blooms make sense.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:40 am »

Kind of a shame really... The problem, from what I am getting, is that the writer, judging by the complaints here, doesn't have the talents to really pull it off.
Yeah, my biggest gripe is that at the start of the series a big deal was made of the blooms utter contempt for the weeds, and I was at least curious as to where that went. But now that's pretty must retconned out already.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:59:47 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: May 16, 2014, 07:27:14 am »

I honestly don't know why people are still following that, considering how much bad writing is apparently in it. Maybe early, when there was some hope that it was going to be a Higurashi-esque perspective-based mindfuck, but now?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17464 on: May 16, 2014, 09:35:56 am »

I honestly don't know why people are still following that, considering how much bad writing is apparently in it. Maybe early, when there was some hope that it was going to be a Higurashi-esque perspective-based mindfuck, but now?
There was hope, then it ended with tons of disdain, the first flag was the brother-sister relationship.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: May 16, 2014, 11:42:14 am »

Gunka no Baltzar 
Alright, so this is a manga I must recommend.  Its setting is between the age of muskets and rifles.   This is about some officer who is sent to another country as a military advisor/trainer in an officer academy of sorts.
Pros: Is not Shonen
Cons: I don't know, I'm bad at this.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: May 16, 2014, 02:18:27 pm »

I come with two recommendations, today! The first:

Black Butler. Holy SHIT is that a fun one. I dunno how to really...Describe it, besides Demon-butler, Elizabethan times.

AND

Kill La Kill. I...Just...Like...Wow.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #17467 on: May 16, 2014, 02:23:58 pm »

Eh, Kill la Kill is kinda odd. It's by the same people who did Gurren lLgann, IIRC, and it has the same kind of over the top style, which I suppose some people like but I don't find very interesting. It seems to have some kind of social commentary going on, but I'm not well enough versed in japanese culture or history to tell what. Something to do with fascism, or maybe school uniform policy. idk. It also has an awful lot of echii, which I think is being done as a parody but still rather tires me.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: May 16, 2014, 02:47:35 pm »

How about a romance manga?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: May 16, 2014, 03:38:14 pm »

Eh, Kill la Kill is kinda odd. It's by the same people who did Gurren lLgann, IIRC, and it has the same kind of over the top style, which I suppose some people like but I don't find very interesting. It seems to have some kind of social commentary going on, but I'm not well enough versed in japanese culture or history to tell what. Something to do with fascism, or maybe school uniform policy. idk. It also has an awful lot of echii, which I think is being done as a parody but still rather tires me.
The social commentary (some of it, at least) is hardly on a uniquely Japanese issue.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: May 16, 2014, 03:41:07 pm »

I started it with pretty low expectations, it's been called the "New Sword Art Online", so I went into it expecting mindless fun like SAO or the Toaru Majutsu no Index series. Unfortunately, it has the same cheesiness but without the fun factor. Hell, novel 1 ended (anime-wise) and nothing remotely exciting even happened yet at that point. I thought Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens were kinda bad series back in October, but they're bloody Shakespeare next to this.

Now, I'm only following it weekly in a sort of morbid curiosity, to take the piss, and keep up with the deconstruction going on on the moesucks blog about it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: May 16, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »

Eh, rubbernecking at train wrecks is fair enough as an excuse.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: May 16, 2014, 04:45:49 pm »

EDIT --oops gundam news already posted in spoiler. not news--

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!