Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065140 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17415 on: May 12, 2014, 10:34:12 am »

I gave in and watched Attack on Titan.  I can still say with some confidence that no, I do not like anime.

I did like the show, I guess.  But it's still got all the shit that makes me dislike animo in general.  Is the horrible pacing just an effect of the commercialization, forcing them to drag things out to keep milking it?  Or what?  I know there's a comic version, how does that compare? 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also the ridiculously maudlin acting, like when a character yells something so hard it causes a shockwave, something that never fails to be stupid as fuck if it even makes sense.  But I've never seen an anime that wasn't like that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:39:16 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17416 on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:10 am »

No Attack on Titan is stupid in general and was over-hyped.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17417 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:48 am »

If the series was based on a written series than that could be the cause of slow pacing.

With the current Jojo's Bizarre Adventure series:

I think sometimes there's the trap of being too faithful to the source material, which is fine for existing fans to a degree but if you're new to the series you're kind of left wanting plot to happen faster.

The JJBA series done in the... 80s or 90s I think cut out a lot of the extra stuff, speeding up the pace quite a bit while keeping major plot points. It was 8 episodes I believe, or around that.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17418 on: May 12, 2014, 11:15:45 am »

The novelization (yes, I read the novelization. Still have it, I think) neglects to mention the petrification entirely and seems to imply that he died.
Shit man, I thought I was the only one who had that.

I think sometimes there's the trap of being too faithful to the source material, which is fine for existing fans to a degree but if you're new to the series you're kind of left wanting plot to happen faster.

The JJBA series done in the... 80s or 90s I think cut out a lot of the extra stuff, speeding up the pace quite a bit while keeping major plot points. It was 8 episodes I believe, or around that.
It doesn't help that quite a few enemies were little more than comic relief.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:19:59 am by Darvi »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17419 on: May 12, 2014, 01:30:54 pm »

I think AoT is pretty fucking concise compared to Bleach and Dragonball and shit like that. Dozens of episodes and entire arcs are dedicated to filler in shows like that. AoT has a good pace.

I don't quite get this sudden wave of hate for it (and JoJo(?)), but I've got no complaints about that show, except I was slightly peeved when it turned out hoomans could..
I was distinctly under the impression that they were going to play things straight, but I got over it right away and my WSoD quickly adjusted to this new benchmark, and the fact that the show has surprises is great. There's a lot of questions left unanswered by the end of the first season and while that translates to dissatisfaction on the part of some people, its exciting to me. There's going to be just as much going on in this next season. And rather than have 100 episodes of filler just so they don't have to take a break, the team chose to let the manga catch up so they could avoid those such pacing problems. Not a single repeated frame, no moment not taken full advantage of, and while there are some character tropes native to Japan that can annoy some people, the plot is still awesome.

Mushishi??! When?! Where?!! I remember reading a thing about season 2 last year.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:33:34 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17420 on: May 12, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »

They spend too long on repetitive inner monologues, but it's far from the worst, and that's basically the major flaw with the pacing. I love the characters and there's just so much analysis here that I can't get bored with it, though. I can easily understand why you might not like it, though, and don't really see a need to argue too much in its favor.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17421 on: May 12, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »

They spend too long on repetitive inner monologues, but it's far from the worst, and that's basically the major flaw with the pacing. I love the characters and there's just so much analysis here that I can't get bored with it, though. I can easily understand why you might not like it, though, and don't really see a need to argue too much in its favor.
What was this in response to?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17422 on: May 12, 2014, 02:36:55 pm »

What was this in response to?
AoT, sorry bout that being unclear.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17423 on: May 12, 2014, 02:50:16 pm »

Honestly AoT wasn't bad but i won't be jumping on the seat to watch it again, TerraFORMARS will be releasing soon and i find that to be the exact way as AoT.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17424 on: May 12, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »

I didn't like the Big Surprise of the first big arc either, as I mentioned before.  It killed some of the horror I think.

And yes, the inner monologues were very annoying.  The first time it really bugged me was when

It's like, "Hurry the fuck up Armin!  You had fifteen seconds five minutes ago!  Stop navel gazing and do something!"

And then it's convenient that we had some of the worst and most insane ham of the show, when Armin salutes and screams something totally ridiculous like "I beg of you to try his strategic value!" as his clothes flap and waves of wind blow the grass around, as if a bomb were going off right behind him.

The game is fun though

Overall if I were looking for something to change my mind about animo (I hate it) and not watching it on a whim because of this, it wouldn't have done it.  It wasn't the worst thing ever but if these things are typical to animo then count me out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:30:58 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17425 on: May 12, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »

. . . Is Steins;Gate basically Haruhi with a mad scientist club, in terms of atmosphere?
Relies heavily on drama later on, despite having a rather lighthearted start.
The characters are also a lot less absurd and there's no harem thing going on.
It also doesn't have a SoL pacing/episodic approach, it's all neatly woven together in one coherent plot.

None of that was meant to devalue Haruhi.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17426 on: May 12, 2014, 08:18:30 pm »

Oh, thanks!

I didn't like Haruhi very much--again, nothing against it really, just wasn't my teacup--just wanted to be sure that the whole thing wasn't going to be about the zaniness of the lead character's, uh, issues.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17427 on: May 12, 2014, 08:42:41 pm »

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san has been a treat, following the heels of Sakura Trick in adorable yuri relations without becoming fan service quite as often (though it is only a 3-minute short).

Otherwise the only anime I feel is A/B+ this season would be Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, bringing me some much needed (European middle/high medieval) low fantasy setting while actually being good semiserious story instead of another comedy. I kind of still follow No Game No Life but I feel hella uncomfortable watching the way it treats female characters. Even this season's Jojo feels less.. how to put it.. Jojo-y? than the previous season. And while I liked the work of Shaft in Nisekoi I hate it when a story drags its feet on progression.

Overall it hasn't been a great season  :-\
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17428 on: May 12, 2014, 08:46:48 pm »

Yeah part 3 doesn't really hit its stride until around... hmmm probably once Iggy appears. However the hijinks in the wackier enemies are excellently charming if you like that sort of thing.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17429 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:47 pm »

Spoiler: AoT (click to show/hide)
Oh, thanks!

I didn't like Haruhi very much--again, nothing against it really, just wasn't my teacup--just wanted to be sure that the whole thing wasn't going to be about the zaniness of the lead character's, uh, issues.
I guess it might seem like that for a few episodes, but yeah that isn't really the meat of the series.  Haruhi probably functions like that because it was mostly a series of short stories.
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 2193