Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065901 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17355 on: May 04, 2014, 01:30:31 pm »

Drifters 13. Kind of boring so far. And this scanlation is very mysterious.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17356 on: May 04, 2014, 11:24:44 pm »

So, has anyone here watched Chaos;Head? I've been meaning to get into it and I don't know whether or not it's good.

I didn't think it was very good. There were a few things I liked but in general it's not that great and the plot is a bit all over the place. This line from the review sums it up great:
http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/chaoshead/
As for the story, the show starts out as a mystery-thriller, but a few episodes in, it decides to be a shounen action series with Takumi having a personal army of chicks with magical swords

Yeah, so starts out kinda interesting feeling ala "Mirrai Nikki" , but devolves into battle harem + "awakened powers" type shonen story, but tries to combine grimdark wit the moe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: May 05, 2014, 04:56:41 am »

I finally now know the reason why many animes have very uneventful clinch battles or turn based battles even when the anime is otherwise good.

Because the anime is following the manga. While animation can make their fights a lot more in depth, by following the manga it often has to follow the battles that took two pages (which is a long fight manga wise).

Mind you, some animes are better at this then others... Some even make their fights LESS interesting because the attacks presented in the manga are too hard to animate, while others practically invent entirely new fights to compliment (but not directly follow) the scene in the manga.

I have no idea why it took me this long to realize this.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17358 on: May 05, 2014, 12:05:02 pm »

There was a video out there somewhere about what happens to anime that gets made from a still-running manga series. Since manga generally comes out slower than anime, the anime has to have filler to compensate, or radically diverges from the plot of the manga, only to try and join up with it at a different point. It's the difference between FMA and FMA:Brotherhood.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17359 on: May 05, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »

So, has anyone here watched Chaos;Head? I've been meaning to get into it and I don't know whether or not it's good.
The VN is kind of retarded, as somebody else said, it's not really about horror-thriller stuff as much as AW YEAH SHOUNEN POWERS LET'S WIN THROUGH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.

Itou Kanako makes some good songs though...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17360 on: May 05, 2014, 01:44:32 pm »

Itou Kanako makes some good songs though...

I'll certainly agree with this bit.
Demonbane may be a piece of crap, but the tune Shadow in the Dark is great.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17361 on: May 05, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »

Samurai Flamenco was a lot of fun.
I don't really like the whole superhero theme, but the characters were very good.
Still, the second half of it wasn't all that great. I wish they would have, focused on Goto and Mari, or even given Ishihara and Konno bigger roles, instead of introducing more characters that became irrelevant torward the ending and focusing on the main theme, while disregarding the other themes that made the show good and worth watching.
Still the last 3 episodes were great.

The opening is going to haunt me for a long time as well:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19gm0f_samurai-flamenco-opening_shortfilms

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17362 on: May 05, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »

I liked it as well.  For me it peaked after he defeated the King Torture though. 

I was kind of hoping it would go in a different direction.  For a while there was some insinuation about how it was strange that the people of Japan seemed to lose interest in all these bizarre things going on around them, and why do these villains seem to imitate television?  And how is any of it actually possible or realistic?  Instead they decided to explore other superhero themes like giant robots and american superheroes(which I admit, was fricken hilarious).

Still good overall, although I kind of wish:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17363 on: May 05, 2014, 04:38:11 pm »

There was a video out there somewhere about what happens to anime that gets made from a still-running manga series. Since manga generally comes out slower than anime, the anime has to have filler to compensate, or radically diverges from the plot of the manga, only to try and join up with it at a different point. It's the difference between FMA and FMA:Brotherhood.

Some animes are all the better for it.

If Naruto didn't have sooo much filler, it would be a good example of an anime that uses its filler to expand on the characters that the manga simply doesn't have the time to (For example Hinata BARELY shows up in the manga... but in the anime she has minor character arcs, it isn't a coincidence that most Hinata fans are people who watch the anime).

While Full Moon after a certain point just does its own thing... and... is actually pretty good. In fact I actually prefer the way the anime ends to the way the manga ends.

But those are exceptions mind you... Filler and stupid divergent plots tend to be the nooses that hang anime.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17364 on: May 05, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »

It looks like a new, more competent scanlation group has picked up The Gamer, huzzah.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17365 on: May 05, 2014, 08:10:21 pm »

It looks like a new, more competent scanlation group has picked up The Gamer, huzzah.

If we're talking about ONeoRa, I think I'm liking their scans better than Mangajoy, due to being consistent with BAPScans.

E: I now know why it is consistent with BAP. ONeoRa was a merger between the remnants of BAPScans and helzone/Busajo(??).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:13:06 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #17366 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »

So, I watched Madoka Rebellion yesterday, and I feel the need to squeal about it, but I have no real venues to do so.

I don't know how to feel about it but I think I liked it.

I've heard a continuation is unlikely, which makes me sad, because I wanted to see that shit play out into the crash and burn it seems like it would.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17367 on: May 05, 2014, 10:42:17 pm »

So, I watched Madoka Rebellion yesterday, and I feel the need to squeal about it, but I have no real venues to do so.

I don't know how to feel about it but I think I liked it.

I've heard a continuation is unlikely, which makes me sad, because I wanted to see that shit play out into the crash and burn it seems like it would.
It was well said that the ending was to troll people and the director noted there will be sequels.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17368 on: May 05, 2014, 10:49:45 pm »

JoJo is the best fucking thing ever. I love it so.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17369 on: May 05, 2014, 10:55:28 pm »

JoJo is the best fucking thing ever. I love it so.

*hands a complementary welcome hairhat*
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1156 1157 [1158] 1159 1160 ... 2193