Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067017 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17160 on: April 19, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »

Mmm Parody Cake

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17161 on: April 19, 2014, 02:58:37 pm »

That's the whole "Lampshading" thing, makes it clear the author and reader both know the trope is tropey as hell, but with a wink that doesn't quite break the 4th wall.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17162 on: April 19, 2014, 03:05:20 pm »

That's the whole "Lampshading" thing, makes it clear the author and reader both know the trope is tropey as hell, but with a wink that doesn't quite break the 4th wall.

Ahhh I see so it is less a parody but more that it is self-aware of how schlocky it is and it is confused for parody.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17163 on: April 19, 2014, 04:08:19 pm »

Ahhh I see so it is less a parody but more that it is self-aware of how schlocky it is and it is confused for parody.
Reminds me of 4chan humor somewhat.
._.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17164 on: April 19, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »

I watched the two episodes released of No Game No Life back when it first started coming out (for some reason I can't comprehend), and the amount of pedobait is quite disturbing; The girl is fucking eleven and it gives you panty shots and bath scenes.

The concept of the show itself though, has some potential.
The reasons for why they specifically are chosen to enter that world are better than most of these "normal blokes in fantasy land" stories, a type of plot I normally greatly dislike, so I don't know. Maybe it'll be good? Maybe it'll just be really creepy? Really depends on if they can execute it decent enough to make it worth ignoring or tolerating the lolicon fanservice and stupid shit.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17165 on: April 19, 2014, 07:09:55 pm »

So, I've recently started to rewatch the first three Digimon series. Any other fans of Digimon on the forums?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17166 on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:43 pm »

NGNL's premise is almost exactly the same as this previous light novel/anime:
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo? (wikipedia)
Three children, Sakamaki Izayoi, Kudō Asuka, and Kasukabe Yō, live dull lives because they possess unmatched psychic powers. One day, they receive an envelope that transports them to Little Garden, a place of supernatural powers called "Gifts." There, the residents use Gifts to play high-stakes games known as Gift Games in order to earn wealth and prestige for their communities. So, the three children join the fallen "No Name" community and resolve to help it regain its prosperity. As they learn more about Little Garden, they decide to overthrow the tyrannical Demon Lords in control.

Ok, in this one, 3 kids are whisked into the "Game" world by the leaders of a nation that's on the brink of destruction because they have skills that will help them play the "games" that decide all matters of state in this world. No Game No Life has the same premise, basically, except swap "powers" with the popular NEET, gamers, incest and loli tropes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:15:16 pm by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17167 on: April 19, 2014, 07:11:34 pm »

Eh, the franchise went downhill after *insert season of choice*.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17168 on: April 19, 2014, 07:15:57 pm »

I did notice the pedobaiting.
But so far they've just acted adorably bro-sis.
But I mightn't have watched far enough to be scarred yet.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17169 on: April 19, 2014, 07:21:24 pm »

What is it with light novels and incest?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17170 on: April 19, 2014, 07:22:50 pm »

I'unno, I've never read anything with that specific combination.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17171 on: April 19, 2014, 07:36:25 pm »

Japanese culture is notoriously lax about all things sexual and at the same time very repressive in general, so we see a lot of pent up aggression, sexuality, sorrow and other emotions a japanese person is not expected to show in his daily life expressed through manga and anime in particular and pop culture in general. If those poor salarymen didn't (make it look like they) work their asses off every day of the week, the stuff Japan churns out would be significantly less crazy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17172 on: April 19, 2014, 08:11:36 pm »

Japanese culture is notoriously lax about all things sexual and at the same time very repressive in general, so we see a lot of pent up aggression, sexuality, sorrow and other emotions a japanese person is not expected to show in his daily life expressed through manga and anime in particular and pop culture in general. If those poor salarymen didn't (make it look like they) work their asses off every day of the week, the stuff Japan churns out would be significantly less crazy.

The best way I like to put it...

Is that Japan is a very repressed country that at the same time fully believes that those things are best done behind closed doors.

Unlike lets say America where during the peak of its... lets say... Sexual Repression was against anyone not having sex in a very specific way closed doors or not.

---

Actually on the subject of Japan, I find it fascinating when a uniquely Japanese Aesop finds its way into an anime (or at least non-western Aesop)

What do I mean?

For example one episode of an anime's Aesop was about "fitting in, in a foreign country" and was that "You should act the way everyone else acts in order to fit in" (and no, it wasn't a give and take such as acting in a similar way they do in order to be approachable). It honestly felt like I was being told how Japan honestly expects foreigners to act in their country. (to admit I could be misinterpreting... even if "the American" is as much of a cartoon as the "Asian" is in western media)

In Gamera, while this is outdated and I am sure Japan doesn't think the same way now, the Farmers in that movie were the villains because they were holding out against the government so they would get more money for their land... Honestly my mouth was gaping when that line was dropped.

Which honestly astounds me because these storylines would be unthinkable.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:13:24 pm by Neonivek »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17173 on: April 19, 2014, 08:17:57 pm »

Ok, in this one, 3 kids are whisked into the "Game" world by the leaders of a nation that's on the brink of destruction because they have skills that will help them play the "games" that decide all matters of state in this world. No Game No Life has the same premise, basically, except swap "powers" with the popular NEET, gamers, incest and loli tropes.

Well there we go then.

On another note; I'm tired of protagonists being "everymen", it gets very boring. Especially when it's a random schmuck from modern era who can somehow become amazing superguy despite being a lazy unskilled joe, and by all means can get snapped in half by a small child. Give me a main character who exhibits all the traits necessary for greatness, or make them work their ass off to achieve it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17174 on: April 19, 2014, 08:35:48 pm »

I prefer everymen who stay everymen. Not gaining superpowers or some shit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 2193