Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067504 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17070 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:54 pm »

Jojo's an action comedy. You're supposed to laugh at the meta aspects.
Led Zeppelin zombies

Clearly, not a comedy.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17071 on: April 14, 2014, 05:30:45 pm »

It went down hill during the Soul Society Arc or after if you liked that arc.
After the Soul Society Arc in my opinion.

The most compelling thing about Bleach after that... is probably the soul society residents.  ....  The final battles literally revolves around Ichigo each and every time which does get old.
I guess Ichigo is pretty much the Goku and rarely are there permanent deaths for the non-mook good guys.  Each subsequent enemy has even more impossible power levels.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17072 on: April 14, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »

Yeah I need to find a good term that separates "Power Creep" with Power Creep that includes "left behind" characters.

Since there are shows that feature extensive power creep with the main character needing to ridiculously power up without making the other characters moot or only worthy of "distracting" or some minor role.

Still Bleach is the best example of "Power Creep Power Seep" (or power as the plot demands) Since WOW does Ichigo gets a sudden and extreme debuff after the Soul Society arc.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #17073 on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:22 pm »

Has anyone else noticed how Bleach has really gone down hill over the last few years?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kinda to the point where:
A) I think you're joking, and
B) I am genuinely surprised the people who have replied to you so far are taking you seriously

Still Bleach is the best example of "Power Creep Power Seep" (or power as the plot demands) Since WOW does Ichigo gets a sudden and extreme debuff after the Soul Society arc.

Yeah, it's a major offender because it does "WOW, THIS PERSON IS CLOSE TO THE MOST POWERFUL LEVEL THAT WE KNOW OF" and then spends the next forever introducing antagonists far more powerful than that and retroactively saying that that wasn't really the most powerful level known (and then retroactively saying THAT wasn't really the most powerful level known, and THEN saying, etc.).
Seriously, it's like the world was perfectly in balance and knowledgeable and everything made sense and suddenly here's this one dude who shows up, fits into the current power structure and everything is still alright, but then OH WOW JEEZ EVERYTHING IS CRAZY FOREVERexcept not really because we knew the entire timewe just didn't want to tell you earlier, really
DBZ, for some reason, was much more believable when it did it. Bleach just spams it constantly.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17074 on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:58 am »

It also helped that in DBZ a good chunk of the power creep was from random alien a-holes showing up, as opposed to people who are all related to the same little insular culture of dead-men-walkin' in one way or another.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17075 on: April 15, 2014, 02:08:43 am »

I'm serious, Bleach has been doing very poorly from a story telling point of view.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #17076 on: April 15, 2014, 02:27:33 am »

I'm serious, Bleach has been doing very poorly from a story telling point of view.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17077 on: April 15, 2014, 04:03:47 am »

That's like losing arms and legs when everything else is evolving the ability to breathe fire.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17078 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:18 am »

It also helped that in DBZ a good chunk of the power creep was from random alien a-holes showing up, as opposed to people who are all related to the same little insular culture of dead-men-walkin' in one way or another.

Yeah the major difference is that Bleach had a very established universe and while Aizen is ridiculously overpowered, he is meant to be something completely unknown and new. Yet they keep introducing newer and newer threats who are in par if not more powerful then soul society captains (ignoring that whether or not Ichigo is as strong as a captain depends on what side of the bed he wakes up on) and who often break the very established rules of the universe.

It even gets better because Bleach even outright states at a few points that in general captains eventually reach a peak and really can never get past it. They even go as far as to state when certain characters reach maximum strength.

So basically it just turns each plot into: "Ohh no! It turns out there was actually an even stronger villain hiding under the carpet! Quick Ichigo, now you must also become half-maid to defeat him that way you will be half-human, half-soul reaper, half hallow, half-quincy, half-alicar, half-vampire, half-squeegee, AND Half-maid at the same time"

While in Dragonball Z... Each threat was a rather believable next step up. You had a Demon, Then the Demon in his Prime, Then you had The main character's much more powerful brother, then you had the most powerful member of the main character's race, then You had a galactic overlord, then you had a Genetically perfect being, then you had a galactic monster being spoken about by gods who run the entire universe, Then GT happens but lets pretend it didn't happen (even if I actually liked it)

But I don't know Bleach might be bad writing, but it is awesome writing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17079 on: April 15, 2014, 03:02:12 pm »

Yachiru, Kenpachi's lil pink haired cheerleader.  Part of the Bleach anime marathon I watched... she ends up disappearing forever midway through the arc.  Basically, straight after when it is more about the fight then anything else.
Well, in the last few manga chapters, I think that is the first time ever that Yachiru shows her Shikai. 
My what the hell; the bastards can still introduce new things for old characters.
(I skipped a huge section of the manga after the original soul society arc and still don't think I missed anything important.)

Honestly, I think Bleach as a whole would be better without Ichigo and his powered human friends anymore.  >.>

And yes, I am probably gonna end up watching the rest of the anime till its latest.  Just because I started doing it already.  (Crunchyroll indicates that is the whole of Season 14.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17080 on: April 15, 2014, 03:22:30 pm »

"Guys guys, Tite Kubo doesn't know how to write a story!"

*Abject surprise and horror from everyone*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17081 on: April 15, 2014, 03:26:14 pm »

It's Shonen Jump, if theres one thing guaranteed its that the series will be dragged out to death. Bleach by example went downhill real damn fast, the last 3 arcs were not important by all and could have ended alot earlier. Then you got One Piece which is a show i love but its starting to go the bleach route for too many damn episodes.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #17082 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:05 pm »

I'm starting to feel glad I listened to my brother-in-law's advice and just avoided that show.

Since I'm posting here anyway, I figure now is as good a time as any to say I've enjoyed Tower of Druaga so far. It's a good action adventure show that doesn't drag things out; they keep nicely to the episodic format rather than trying to be a manga with moving pictures. It's got a good amount of humor without crossing into farce territory and a whole bunch of likable characters.

Plus it's a show about dungeon-crawling, which is something I've been wanting lately and thought I would get from Magi until it turned out to be more about the politics of having captured a dungeon than the actual dungeon capturing experience (at least from what I saw. Maybe they'll get back to capturing dungeons again eventually, but I got bored of all the not-dungeon-crawling going on and had to find something new. Also, I was somewhat bothered by all the brightly colored hair in what seemed to be a rather serious anime. Not that the show was actually bad; I might return to it eventually, but I lost interest since the particular story arc I was on show no sign of ending any time soon.)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17083 on: April 15, 2014, 05:23:06 pm »

Magi isn't really about dungeon crawling at all.

I do recommend it generally for what it is though, which is a mix of action, comedy, magic, adventure, politics, intrigue and war. None of the arcs go particularly long though, I think there are about 4-5 distinct arcs in the first season.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17084 on: April 15, 2014, 06:57:14 pm »

Who has been keeping up with the latest Hunter X Hunter episodes?

The narrative thing has been annoying the heck out of me over this whole arc.
Pages: 1 ... 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 ... 2193