Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067861 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17010 on: April 10, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

Has anyone watched Kaiji? I just finished season 2 and I'm addicted. Moved on to Akagi and Ten is next on the list. There's actually a LOT of anime with gambling as the premise. Love it.
Only up to the end of the 3rd challange (the balancing act with chance of dying).
I guess I should watch on, but people said the challenges after that aren't as good.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17011 on: April 10, 2014, 02:07:30 pm »

It's so unpopular that no one has watched it ever. :p

Has anyone watched Kaiji? I just finished season 2 and I'm addicted. Moved on to Akagi and Ten is next on the list. There's actually a LOT of anime with gambling as the premise. Love it.
Only up to the end of the 3rd challange (the balancing act with chance of dying).
I guess I should watch on, but people said the challenges after that aren't as good.
Probably because they're not as lethal. If you enjoy watching Kaiji be a badass and take lots of risks you'll still like it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: April 10, 2014, 02:28:08 pm »

Familiar of Zero is popular on those boards and forums because of its amazing setting wasted on unholy amounts of fan service and torture S&M play.

^Pretty much this. Thiugh as some of them will tell you, even the setting has flaws people tend to retcon out since the author (may he rest in peace) tended to throw weird details on a whim without putting much thought on the ramifications of them.

Even the Author Retconned like the wind. What exactly the wizards could do, the male lead's personality (Which infuriates me that he goes from mature to immature... which I think he only did to justify his mistreatment), and even the roles each character plays. He will bend pretty much any detail he needs to fit what he is going for.

I'd say I'd want a series where they handled the abuse a male character experiences by the female one... realistically as a joke. But I've seen that anime and while some find it hilarious I just find it a bit too horrific.

---
It's so unpopular that no one has watched it ever

Which unfortunately isn't very far fetched.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:29:56 pm by Neonivek »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17013 on: April 10, 2014, 03:44:36 pm »

I once read an absolutey amazing piece of crossover fanfiction about ZnT, called A Green Sun Illuminates the Void, which further develops the setting and characters, making Louise, among others, quite amiable and not annoying in the slightest. It is also very well-written and gripping overall - I genuinely did enjoy the language of the author - while also being free from all the common banes of fanfiction, what with it having a logical and believable plot and a perfectly realistic inner conflict of the main heroine, who finds herself stuck with a talkative demon in her head, a world-shattering magical superweapon build by gods and corrupted by tortured Old Ones in a desperate attempt to escape their dimensional prison grafted to her soul and an entire army out to get her deep behind the enemy lines.

All in all, definitely worth a read.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17014 on: April 10, 2014, 04:47:47 pm »

I've read every Fukumoto series in english, including those.

Kaiji is great. It's my favorite gambling series yet. It will take forever before part 5 is scanlated.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: April 10, 2014, 05:47:29 pm »

-snip-
Yep, it's a good example of both quality ZnT fics and what can be done when you cross Exalted with other 'verses.

ZnT is pretty much the foremost example of one of the things which fanfiction is best at: taking a good base idea, stripping out all of the garbage the original author added, and making interesting stories with it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17016 on: April 10, 2014, 06:03:47 pm »

I sometimes wish that the authors of works like ZnT, with promising ideas but poor execution, would come back to their creations later in life and rewrite them with more skill.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17017 on: April 10, 2014, 06:17:08 pm »

I've read every Fukumoto series in english, including those.

Kaiji is great. It's my favorite gambling series yet. It will take forever before part 5 is scanlated.
That's amazing! I can't wait to continue watching Akagi. You know.. We should make a Mahjong game, with the ability to cheat and whatnot. Or the dice game from Kaiji Part 2.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17018 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:58 pm »

I sometimes wish that the authors of works like ZnT, with promising ideas but poor execution, would come back to their creations later in life and rewrite them with more skill.
Not possible in this case because Noboru Yamaguchi died while still writing the LNs. And it's not so much a matter of ability as intent; it's pretty clear what he wanted to do with the series. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: April 10, 2014, 09:36:53 pm »

Fanservice is like alcohol: just enough of it and your work becomes funny and happy, too much and it's an ugly, dirty mess.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: April 10, 2014, 09:57:49 pm »

Fanservice is like alcohol: just enough of it and your work becomes funny and happy, too much and it's an ugly, dirty mess.

And like alcohol it doesn't go with everything.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17021 on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »

With ZnT it's usually more the argument over Louise beating Saito with a riding crop (and at one point in the LNs, a whip) being depicted in a good light. Not that the fanservice isn't egregarious in its own right, but that's hardly unusual in these media.

3. Run Resize Enable

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:59 pm »

It says alot when the anime is pretty tame compared to the original LN.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: April 10, 2014, 10:03:41 pm »

With ZnT it's usually more the argument over Louise beating Saito with a riding crop (and at one point in the LNs, a whip) being depicted in a good light. Not that the fanservice isn't egregarious in its own right, but that's hardly unusual in these media.

Which is kind of the thing, at first I wasn't aware I was supposed to laugh. I had a small hint in my head but the setting was, so far, well written enough that I thought they were just highlighting just how people in this setting were allowed to act.

Then later you just sort of realize "Wow, this shocking scene of terrible physical abuse was meant to be 'funny' the whole time".

It isn't immediately obvious is what I am saying. Especially since they just constantly highlight how bad things are for our main character and how depressed he had become. To the extent where if it WAS meant to be "funny" it came at a terrible moment.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:06:31 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: April 10, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »

Not possible in this case because Noboru Yamaguchi died while still writing the LNs. And it's not so much a matter of ability as intent; it's pretty clear what he wanted to do with the series. :|

Exactly one year + a week ago to be precise.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1133 1134 [1135] 1136 1137 ... 2193