Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068058 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16995 on: April 10, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

unholy amounts of fan service and torture S&M play.
How come most ecchi shows and Korean Zombie Desk Car aren't even more popular then?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #16996 on: April 10, 2014, 11:10:43 am »

How come most ecchi shows and Korean Zombie Desk Car aren't even more popular then?
This is either the best intentional way of writing it, or the best autocorrect ever, if only for the imagination fuel.

And I think KwZdk? would be much more popular if more people knew about it.
It is just pure, filtered and fortified ridiculousness.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16997 on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:26 am »

They don't need to be popular; they just need to sell.  Stereotypes aside, the market targeted by these products is one with plenty of money (being a subset of the "single employed male, typically without life expenses like rent due to young age and ridiculous land prices") and a willingness to spend on things that interest them, so pandering cheap products to that market, even if it's restricted in absolute population numbers, still returns a decent RoI. 

((I don't think I want to know what "those" forums are, though.))
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:12:58 am by Culise »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16998 on: April 10, 2014, 11:32:33 am »

This is either the best intentional way of writing it, or the best autocorrect ever, if only for the imagination fuel.
It's a commonly used joke and I find it amusing.

They don't need to be popular; they just need to sell.
Wait what?
In any case if my point is that if ZnTs only appeal is fanservice and for minors S&M fetishists, then there are better shows who carter to those kinds of needs.
Given that those come nowhere near the popularity of ZnT, that can't be the case, don't you think?

I seriously hope you are not implying that bay12 is the pinnacle of anime gourmets.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #16999 on: April 10, 2014, 11:41:30 am »

I think the popularity of ZnT is due to:

70% Setting
25% Fanservice
5% S&M

Of course, completely made-up statistics by me, and are therefore likely all completely wrong, but what I'm saying is that probably 70% of the people who gave more than a first look at ZnT were doing it for the setting or story, without which they would not be interested, 25% wouldn't be interested except for the fanservice, and 5% like small girls beating up boys involving sexual tension.

Although, in the case of KwZdk?, I really can't imagine people liking it for any other reason than it is just insanely ridiculous.
Flying tuxedo whales, man. Flying. Tuxedo. Whales.

Also, shit, there's another season of it isn't there? I gotsta watch me some of that.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17000 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:17 am »

Took me a while to realize what KwZdk is.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:49:12 am by majikero »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17001 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:37 am »

They don't need to be popular; they just need to sell.
Wait what?
In any case if my point is that if ZnTs only appeal is fanservice and for minors S&M fetishists, then there are better shows who carter to those kinds of needs.
Given that those come nowhere near the popularity of ZnT, that can't be the case, don't you think?
Ah.  I was talking in general.  I've never seen Zero no Tsukaima, nor am I particularly conversant on which series are particularly popular from season to season, so I cannot speak on that in particular.  Anime marketed in this particular manner tends to make its money not only from viewership and advertising, but also DVD sales and licensing to produce other merch, like figurines and...ummm, I'm trying to think of something that doesn't tend to get creepy in popular conception but, unfortunately in this context, the only other one I can come up with is the really-creepy body-pillows.  I suppose it's all licensing rather than sales in the end, but that's my own slip in wording.  Those peripheral sales were what I was referring to when it comes to the particular market being targeted, not just advertising. 

I seriously hope you are not implying that bay12 is the pinnacle of anime gourmets.
Ah.  I thought from the use of "those" instead of "these" that he was referring to some other forum, and since I couldn't figure out which forums he was referring to, I thought I could bait out an answer indirectly with that.  No, but actually, there are more than a handful of people here who do have tastes in anime similar to my own.  Or, at least, react to anime I dislike in ways I find amusing. :3
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:49:54 am by Culise »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17002 on: April 10, 2014, 11:57:43 am »

Also, shit, there's another season of it isn't there? I gotsta watch me some of that.

I don't recall season 2 of KwZdk being as epic crazy as the first D:

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17003 on: April 10, 2014, 01:14:40 pm »

Has anyone watched Kaiji? I just finished season 2 and I'm addicted. Moved on to Akagi and Ten is next on the list. There's actually a LOT of anime with gambling as the premise. Love it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17004 on: April 10, 2014, 01:25:25 pm »

Has anyone watched Kaiji? I just finished season 2 and I'm addicted. Moved on to Akagi and Ten is next on the list. There's actually a LOT of anime with gambling as the premise. Love it.
ZAWA ZAWA ZAWA

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17005 on: April 10, 2014, 01:35:36 pm »

Ping Pong episode 1 is out for all you Yuasa Masaki fans (Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba, Kemonozume, Mind Game, Cat Soup). Of course, it has the usual freakish Yuasa Masaki art style, pissing off all the plebs who got hyped into watching this.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17006 on: April 10, 2014, 01:36:48 pm »

Depends on what you define as gambling. Technically, Yu-Gi-Oh and Legend of Koizumi would fall under that category.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17007 on: April 10, 2014, 01:47:26 pm »

How in the blue hell is yugioh gambling? I mean traditional gambling. For money.

ZAWA ZAWA ZAWA
The future is in our hands!! >:D

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17008 on: April 10, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »

Most of them are children underage, gambling for money probably isn't legal. Star chips and plot coupons, on the other hand...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17009 on: April 10, 2014, 01:59:17 pm »

I wasn't talking about money/rentability, but popularity as in people talking about it and identifying as fans of the series.

Well since you want to know I was referring to 4chan mainly but no exclusively, which despite all infamy certain boards have earned them can be a quite civil place, especially on it's original anime and Japan themed boards, as well as it's more niche boards like Traditional Games. You probably won't find as diverse and up to date anime discussion anywhere else.
Of course there are also people there visiting other places so you can keep up to date about trends on other sites like MAL, even if it's just hearsay.
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 2193