Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070501 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16800 on: March 30, 2014, 08:34:19 pm »

Think it may be more "doesn't like hopeless situations that occur by dint of sheer stupidity", heh. Were they actually only going up the cliff one at a time? For, like, the whole cliff? I'unno 'bout you lot, but after the second mech popped its head up and got blown up, I'd start taking shots at the cliff. Blow that thing up and make me a ruddy ramp.* Then all of us can go up at once!

Actually, I guess I can go and look.

*looks*

Sweet zeus, they practically were. And staggering approach almost like they're intentionally timing it so the defenses have time to switch targets. I... I'm sorry, I think I have to side with Sirus on this one, to the extent there's sides to take. I wasn't getting a "horrors of war" vibe from that, I was getting a "war comedy" vibe. Ineptitude to the point of farce and outright gag jokes (like the one getting rid of the zipcord attachment. I could hear the laugh track.). And I went ahead and watched the second part, too. That lightning strike (dues ex hilaria), bromance in a field of fire, all sorts of stuff. It... in terms of action, that whole combat scene was comedy >_> Dunno about the plot stuff, I didn't even turn the sound on :P

I would probably suggest checking out the original before dismissing the series as a whole, though.

*They even tried to climb it, and didn't realize "Hey, my bunker busting doom-gun might be able to pulp some cliffside".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16801 on: March 30, 2014, 08:37:55 pm »

-snip-
Heh, it makes a lot more sense when you put it that way. c:

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16802 on: March 30, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »

I would probably suggest checking out the original before dismissing the series as a whole, though.
For the last time, I didn't know there was a "series as a whole" to dismiss when I watched the OVA and wrote my little first impression. I have not seen any of the original episodes or whatever there were. I have never once claimed to know anything about the series other than what I could glean from two 10-minute episodes with no comprehend-able dialogue.

For fuck's sake.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16803 on: March 30, 2014, 08:42:57 pm »

Nah nah, not to that, more to the "Watch yer votoms, I'll go do something else" statement. I'd say give the original a try, just in case the new stuff is just... not as good.

I'd say you're cool dismissing at-least that twenty minutes of video. It was kinda' silly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16804 on: March 30, 2014, 09:02:10 pm »

]When did I ever claim to be informed? I did the equivalent of flipping a book open and reading the first couple of chapters to see if it grabbed my interest. It didn't. I never said I did in-depth research on the series canon or finished the OVA, nor did I dig up translations. Because that shit should not be required to grab the attention of a newcomer.
Well you're discussing what the characters could have done differently.  That seems like a thing you should only do if you have an informed opinion on what the situation was and what their options were.

And like... I don't know why you think it has some kind of duty to work and get your attention without dialogue.  Maybe all that talking was super interesting and would have helped explain the situation on the ground.  Only you don't know because you decided to watch without subtitles for some reason.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16805 on: March 31, 2014, 12:26:32 am »

EDIT: Latest news: At the end of a recent Tokyo MX rerun of Macross Frontier, it was announced that a new Macross TV series is in the works. There really aren't any details, images or animation, just this 14 second announcement, and mentioned here on Kotaku. Don't expect any real details from those links though.

===

Screw it, I can't deal with this any more. Enjoy your VOTOMS, I'll find something else to watch.

Oh FFS. The 2000's one you saw is a cheaply made direct-to-video one that few hold in high regard. You can't judge the original work from it. You keep claiming not to be doing that, but you are in fact doing that.

About the same time (~2006), Robotech: Shadow Chronicles came out. That movie is also a stinker, and would turn you off the Robotech franchise if you saw it. That doesn't mean the original animes (Macross and Mospeada) aren't awesome.

The whole mid-2000's was a low point for mecha anime with a lot of bad sequels are remakes with poorly-integrated shitty CGI. About 2008, things started to pick up with shows like Macross Frontier, which showcased how CGI/2D mecha integration should be done.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:33:08 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16806 on: March 31, 2014, 07:46:12 am »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:19:43 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16807 on: March 31, 2014, 07:54:03 am »

I guess we're both waiting for Stardust Crusaders now aren't we.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16808 on: March 31, 2014, 08:01:33 am »

The whole mid-2000's was a low point for mecha anime.
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16809 on: March 31, 2014, 09:36:19 am »

00 is meh compared to other Gundams, Appleseed bored the hell out of me, Code Geass beats both of those combined for anything good.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16810 on: March 31, 2014, 09:47:27 am »

I'm not really buying those examples either. There are a load of critics who revile all three series. Nail meet coffin.

I really did not enjoy any on the Appleseed franchise at all, seen a couple of the movies, I hear Gundam 00 is the weakest of the lot, and Code Geass may be (maybe) an ok show, but its mecha element could have just as easily been left out altogether: good as a mecha series, it was not. Anyway, it kind of felt like a mess to me, they tried to throw every trope in the book into that series to appeal to everyone.

http://moesucks.com/2009/07/21/code-geass-sucks/
And finally and most ridiculously, the show asks us to accept the idea that while this band of teenagers are directing a war that kills hundreds of thousands of people, they are all coincidentally attending the same high school, where they have wacky student council adventures. 

Enough said. The constant tone shifts from serious plot to ecchi fanservice and cliched highschool hijinks permanently bars Code Geass from legendary series status for me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:59:10 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16811 on: March 31, 2014, 10:01:01 am »

I hear Gundam 00 is the weakest of the lot
I actually did try to watch Gundam 00.  It's probably the first Gundam anime that I actually actively quit watching due to the sheer amount of tetchiness I felt after watching the first couple episodes, and I sat through both G Gundam (which was good, in spite of being very different from the rest of the series) and SEED Destiny (which was...not).  I haven't tuned in to a single Gundam series since.

http://moesucks.com/2009/07/21/code-geass-sucks/
And finally and most ridiculously, the show asks us to accept the idea that while this band of teenagers are directing a war that kills hundreds of thousands of people, they are all coincidentally attending the same high school, where they have wacky student council adventures. 

Enough said. The constant tone shifts from serious plot to ecchi fanservice and cliched highschool hijinks permanently bars Code Geass from legendary series status for me.
And the serious plot isn't all that intelligent, either, from what I've heard. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:03:07 am by Culise »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16812 on: March 31, 2014, 10:04:28 am »

Go watch Unicorn, your faith in mechs will be revitalized.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16813 on: March 31, 2014, 10:10:41 am »

00 holds a special place in my heart as the show that truly ignited my love for mecha anime and was the first Gundam show I watched all the way through, but I admit its plot is flawed. Code Geass... I liked on my first viewing, but didn't really get any particular vibe of specialness.

Unicorn is the greatest thing ever, but it requires the viewer to have a certain amount of UC timeline knowledge beforehand to get the whole impact.

Also Culise you should watch Build Fighters
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:46:38 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16814 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:25 am »

And the serious plot isn't all that intelligent, either, from what I've heard.

The "genius " plots aren't all that genius. e.g. compare Code Geass to Death Note.

In Death Note, you're told something genius had happened, and they explain it in detail, and you go "wow, that's a clever trick", and it plays with a finite set of already explained rules of how the "death notes" work.

Whereas in Code Geass, you constantly get times when it looks like Lelouch is beaten, the enemy is gloating "Now I have you Lelouch", Lelouch laughs "Muahaha! Think again!" and all the Big Bad's henchmen's eyes glow red to show that Lelouch had hypnotized them earlier.

"And here's one I prepared earlier" like a TV cooking show is all the explanation you get in Code Geass. Unanswered questions that the viewer is meant to infer:

"How did Lelouch control the guards" => "Hypnosis"
"How did Lelouch get into the base in the first place" => "Hypnosis"

So, pretty much every problem is solved by claiming that Lelouch had previously hypnotized people off-screen.

The only unanswered question is, "if Lelouch already had hypnotized everyone why are we having this battle?"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:29:05 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 ... 2193