Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070704 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16740 on: March 27, 2014, 10:39:18 pm »

Spoiler: KLK (click to show/hide)
This is exactly what I wanted.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:41:53 pm by NobodyPro »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16741 on: March 27, 2014, 10:44:27 pm »

The Final Episode of KLK proves beyond a doubt that certain parts of the human anatomy definitely do not exist in that universe. :P

Really, really enjoyed the series. It's not quite a Code Geass in terms of depth, but then, it never really tries to be. It's fast paced, feel - good fun for all 24 episodes, and the finale as usual provided a twist or two, or three. Would definitely watch season two, although I'm not really sure how they can carry on with something of that quality for another twenty episodes.

Definitely up there with Full Metal Alchemist and Code Geass in my humble opinion. :)

(Now back to not pining for thursday nights again)
Yeah, I think part of it is that there will never be a season two, in the same way that they never made (or are going to make) a third season of TTGL or Code Geass.
Yes, they could do it, and they could probably it better then most other anime out there, but it would fall short of the first season quite a bit few reasons.
They could make another series set in the same universe, but having the same characters in a second season would be a far weaker show then this was.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16742 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:22 pm »

There is gonna be one more episode included on the dvd/blu ray (or maybe just blu ray. I forget) though, for those who don't know. It's apparently just a look into the daily lives of everyone at Hounnoji
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:52:35 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16743 on: March 27, 2014, 10:50:28 pm »

And yes, as sad as I am to see it go, I wouldn't want them to make a sequel. There's no real room. You might be able to work in a prequel (I would totally watch The Prior Adventures of Satsuki and Co., at least for one episode to see how it goes), but you'd really have to work to make it decent. Although, I actually found this show to be deeper than Code Geass, but YMMV. I wasn't as into analysis when I watched that as I am now.

EDIT: HNNNNNNNG, I will need to buy that dvd. Not that it wouldn't be a fine investment anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16744 on: March 27, 2014, 11:06:16 pm »

and some where it is simply distracting (Ghost in the Shell)
FTFY

I give Ghost in the Shell a pass because its her skin and hair which is augmented and not her clothes. Makes sense. (At least I think that's how it worked when she cloaked.))
If you're talking about the first film, she wasn't actually nude. That was a skin-toned bodysuit. At least, that's my recollection. And of course that's no excuse for the outfit and full-dive internet shenanigans in SAC, though I'll hesitantly give it a by because it never really interfered with the plot and the Major was smoking hot.

They had a whole lot of times where everyone is seated, the Major stands to deliver her lines (so that her head is cut off, and you see, perfectly framed in the screen, from her shoulders to her thighs as she speaks).  That was what really pissed me off.  No issue with the outfit, really angry about prioritizing her boobs over her face when delivering plot information.

This. I'd actually forgotten about this, probably a deliberate effort on the part of my subconscious. It was just so painfully out of place, especially when, apart from the Major, there was basically nothing of the sort going on.

and some where it is simply distracting (Ghost in the Shell)
FTFY

I give Ghost in the Shell a pass because its her skin and hair which is augmented and not her clothes. Makes sense. (At least I think that's how it worked when she cloaked.))
If you're talking about the first film, she wasn't actually nude. That was a skin-toned bodysuit. At least, that's my recollection. And of course that's no excuse for the outfit and full-dive internet shenanigans in SAC, though I'll hesitantly give it a by because it never really interfered with the plot and the Major was smoking hot.
Was it a bodysuit? I thought that was her Shell.

Stand Alone Complex specifically refers to the television show.

I'm nearly certain that it was. I'm talking about that very early scene when she's in that highrise, where she jumped out of the window and activated the active camo after assassinating whats-his-name. I'll have to go back and re-watch it at some point, though, it's been years and my memory is fuzzier than a stuffed tiger. And yes, I was talking about SAC's problems in contrast to the first film.

Strike Witches is a very polarizing show. Essentially, it is WWII, except all the fighter planes are young girls carrying guns, and instead of fighting each other they're fighting aliens. It gets a lot of flack for fanservice, a fair bit of which is justified, but the underlying war story's pretty well done.
To be more explicit it "gets a lot of flack" because it massively panders to paedophiles.
That would be why the most often depicted examples are massive breasts. No, wait, that doesn't make any sense at all.
That was probably more in reference to the fact that a large portion of the cast are underaged girls who spend most of their screentime running around without pants for literally no reason at all.

While not explicitly stated (at least in the anime, I haven't examined any of the supplemental material either), it seemed fairly obvious to me that the lack of pants was so they could wear their airplane parts. Of course, that doesn't explain why pretty much no women in the universe seem to wear pants, unless there's some sort of war-hero based women's lib movement going on.

That said, I'm pretty indifferent to fanservice unless it's extremely gratuitous (High-School of the Dead is one of the only shows I can think of that really annoyed me, mostly the guntits scene), and absolutely despise it when things that should be seen aren't (unless it's a comedy show poking fun at that kind of thing). Things like the Magic Skirt, pixellation/black bars, or absurd amounts of steam really piss me off because they jar my suspension of disbelief so much. It isn't about missing out on seeing something, it just seems so fundamentally wrong to, for example, have a girl hanging from a rope by her feet with her skirt firmly in place instead of obeying gravity, and throwing something on the screen to block something out is basically beating you with the fourth wall.

This is the excuse that always seems to come up, but the response is pretty simple. It seems like a reasonable assumption that something wonky is going on with pocket-dimensions, because I don't really buy that they manage to fit both their legs and engines into those little things, in which case pants should fit just as well as legs. But if we handwave the volume requirements... well, I wonder if there is some sort of garment for the lower body which doesn't extend down the entire length of the leg. I could swear that there's something like that.

As for the latter part--eh, I agree insofar as that it's another good reason why fanservice needs to die in a horrible pit for as long as production studios and artists can't grasp the concept of moderation. Though to be perfectly honest, I watched some of HSoTD just for the sake of laughing at how terrible it was, while silently wishing that it hadn't had the ecchi stuff. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16745 on: March 27, 2014, 11:09:43 pm »

DAT KILL LA KILL FINALE!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16746 on: March 27, 2014, 11:11:13 pm »

In the wake of KLK:

Quote from: GrubFisher
They have nipples. They're just too manly, and too womanly, for our minds to comprehend. The times we saw Mikisugi's nipples were because they took an inferior, mortal form. Otherwise, that's why the nipple lens flares exist. To shield our sanity. Yeah. That's it. That makes sense.

Minor spoiler for final episode.

The reddit does something funny. Inspires asspains in select few.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16747 on: March 27, 2014, 11:12:23 pm »

In response to what's been said :

I would also like to re-iterate that I do think a sequel is probably a bad idea. All's well that ends well, of course. Remember that band you liked until it changed into an odd and mysterious direction? Remember that drama that had to take questionable plot twists because of casting issues and the untimely death of the scriptwriter? Remember that anime that carried on... and on... and on... for nothing more than sheer Zenii? Sometimes, it's better to end on a high. :)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16748 on: March 27, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »

I'm happy I watched KLK in the end, despite the lewdness :P

I got a bit too confused with Code Geass in the end, as 1st season finale made very little sense to me and the first episode of R2 didn't help much with that. I don't think I was thinking too much into Code Geass when  I watched it, so I will probably have to watch it again when I'm older.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16749 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:50 pm »

OMG I thought KLK was going for the full 26 episodes as per usual in standard 13-ep seasons. I mean, TTGL went on for 27 eps, one more than the norm, so I was taken legitimately offguard by the fact that this was the last episode!

But you know what, KLK can make it's own rules now, it's standing atop the anime world unrivaled at this very moment, so it can do it wants.

Now I'm gonna go ahead and speculate that KLK is still gonna get the TTGL treatment of receiving two movies that sum up the whole series in 3 hours. And maybe a line of music videos too. And an alternate reality manga, because if you're gonna have hollow hype, you gotta go all the way.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #16750 on: March 27, 2014, 11:45:31 pm »

Kill la Kill finale was great. Some great "holy shit I can't stop saying holy shit" moments.

Spoiler: Mad spoilahz yo. (click to show/hide)

You guys know what  I really enjoyed this episode? The audio. The voice acting during the scene where Ryuko is falling after Senketsu burned up was really well done. You can really hear the emotion in Ryuko and Satsuki's voices.

The soundtrack is the bomb too. Them ending credits. Dat bass beat. Them guitar melodies. Them guitar melodies were like fanservice for my ears, man. Unf.

K, excessive gushing over now. 10/10 anime, would watch again, would recommend.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16751 on: March 27, 2014, 11:51:23 pm »

Spoiler: Re:The Metaphor (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16752 on: March 28, 2014, 12:14:10 am »

Spoiler: Potential KLK Film (click to show/hide)

You're welcome. XD

Edit : I apologise if this sounds like I generated it from some sort of program ; I know the company could make it far better than that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:21:04 am by Wysthric »
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16753 on: March 28, 2014, 12:29:33 am »

OMG I thought KLK was going for the full 26 episodes as per usual in standard 13-ep seasons. I mean, TTGL went on for 27 eps, one more than the norm, so I was taken legitimately offguard by the fact that this was the last episode!

But you know what, KLK can make it's own rules now, it's standing atop the anime world unrivaled at this very moment, so it can do it wants.
24 or 25 seem to be becoming the new norm for 2-season anime these days rather than the full 26. I've watched 10+ different 2-season shows that started in October, and only one of them hits 26 episodes, the rest were split pretty evenly between 24 or 25 eps each.

EDIT: Actually, it's been heading this way for years. Macross Frontier (25), Shinsekai Yori (25), Attack on Titan (25), A Certain Magical Index (24). Naming full 26 episode series is actually getting kinda hard, and there could possibly be a gradual creep from 25 => 24 episode series.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:46:08 am by Reelya »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #16754 on: March 28, 2014, 12:38:13 am »

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 2193