Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1114 1115 [1116] 1117 1118 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3071610 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16725 on: March 27, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »

I can certainly think of quite a few animes weakened by their fanservice (Higurashi, but still good) and others that are SEVERELY weakened by it (Marchen Awakens Romance, but it was a weak/bad anime even without it)... and some where it is simply distracting (Ghost in a Shell)

But I have never seen an anime KILLED by its Fanservice.

Except MAYBE Familiar Zero... but that is more because their fanservice plays out like outright abuse... and that show is controversial anyhow, a lot of people honestly see the abuse scenes as hilarious slapstick and the hero as a masochistic who secretly enjoys it, so it isn't "killed" as only like 1 in 10 people are turned off by that anime because of the abuse.

Or like uhh... that unofficial Excel Saga Sequel... but it wasn't killed by fanservice, it was just not funny with its gag fanservice (Well... to me)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:56:40 pm by Neonivek »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16726 on: March 27, 2014, 07:57:33 pm »

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16727 on: March 27, 2014, 08:01:40 pm »

Neonivek, if you want a perfect example of how monstrously bad fanservice can be: Infinite Stratos.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16728 on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:28 pm »

and some where it is simply distracting (Ghost in the Shell)
FTFY

I give Ghost in the Shell a pass because its her skin and hair which is augmented and not her clothes. Makes sense. (At least I think that's how it worked when she cloaked.))

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16729 on: March 27, 2014, 08:08:02 pm »

But I have never seen an anime KILLED by its Fanservice.

Divergence Eve comes pretty close, due to how out of place the fan service all feels, since it's so blatant and cheesy and doesn't fit at all with the tone of the rest of the show (serious plot, sci fi psych horror). So, it's something that i would recommend if it didn't have the blatant fanservice, but I will never recommend for that reason.

But Divergence Eve also suffers from some really terrible looking CGI mecha battles that also don't mesh with the rest of the show, though they don't distract from the story in the way the fanservice does. So, as more than one review states, Divergence Eve feels like someone took a decent script, then hired a bunch of random people to animate different aspects of it without actually talking to each other.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:09:56 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16730 on: March 27, 2014, 08:10:14 pm »

FTFY

I give Ghost in the Shell a pass because its her skin and hair which is augmented and not her clothes. Makes sense. (At least I think that's how it worked when she cloaked.))
If you're talking about the first film, she wasn't actually nude. That was a skin-toned bodysuit. At least, that's my recollection. And of course that's no excuse for the outfit and full-dive internet shenanigans in SAC, though I'll hesitantly give it a by because it never really interfered with the plot and the Major was smoking hot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16731 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:03 pm »

Neonivek, if you want a perfect example of how monstrously bad fanservice can be: Infinite Stratos.

And the far deeper pit of hell: Infinite Stratos 2

Who knew it could get so much worse?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16732 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:47 pm »

Is it killed by its fanservice or is it a bad anime with worse fanservice?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16733 on: March 27, 2014, 08:17:41 pm »

FTFY

If you're talking about the first film, she wasn't actually nude. That was a skin-toned bodysuit. At least, that's my recollection. And of course that's no excuse for the outfit and full-dive internet shenanigans in SAC, though I'll hesitantly give it a by because it never really interfered with the plot and the Major was smoking hot.

They had a whole lot of times where everyone is seated, the Major stands to deliver her lines (so that her head is cut off, and you see, perfectly framed in the screen, from her shoulders to her thighs as she speaks).  That was what really pissed me off.  No issue with the outfit, really angry about prioritizing her boobs over her face when delivering plot information.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #16734 on: March 27, 2014, 08:27:08 pm »

FTFY

They had a whole lot of times where everyone is seated, the Major stands to deliver her lines (so that her head is cut off, and you see, perfectly framed in the screen, from her shoulders to her thighs as she speaks).  That was what really pissed me off.  No issue with the outfit, really angry about prioritizing her boobs over her face when delivering plot information.
Well, doing that also saves on animation money because they don't have to animate her face. But yeah, they probably went with that particular view of her for more reasons than just cost-cutting.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16735 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:29 pm »

So... the main character's lines are the spot that they choose to cut animations on, and not all the other supporting male roles... ?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16736 on: March 27, 2014, 08:41:06 pm »

FTFY

That sort of framing didn't really bug me much (outside of the ridiculously over the top butt shot in the tank episode). You need a shot of something while characters are talking, and just their heads all the time would be a bit sitcom-like. No, the thing that bugged me the most was the fact that it took a full half season of SAC before someone at the government office took the major aside and convinced her to come in to work in something more than underwear and a jacket.
Somewhat dubious camera angles are one thing; at least that's external to the world itself. Going to a government job in naught but underwear and a jacket just breaks any suspension of disbelief.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16737 on: March 27, 2014, 08:50:46 pm »

FTFY

Was it a bodysuit? I thought that was her Shell.

Stand Alone Complex specifically refers to the television show.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16738 on: March 27, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »

Strike Witches is a very polarizing show. Essentially, it is WWII, except all the fighter planes are young girls carrying guns, and instead of fighting each other they're fighting aliens. It gets a lot of flack for fanservice, a fair bit of which is justified, but the underlying war story's pretty well done.
To be more explicit it "gets a lot of flack" because it massively panders to paedophiles.
That would be why the most often depicted examples are massive breasts. No, wait, that doesn't make any sense at all.
That was probably more in reference to the fact that a large portion of the cast are underaged girls who spend most of their screentime running around without pants for literally no reason at all.

While not explicitly stated (at least in the anime, I haven't examined any of the supplemental material either), it seemed fairly obvious to me that the lack of pants was so they could wear their airplane parts. Of course, that doesn't explain why pretty much no women in the universe seem to wear pants, unless there's some sort of war-hero based women's lib movement going on.

That said, I'm pretty indifferent to fanservice unless it's extremely gratuitous (High-School of the Dead is one of the only shows I can think of that really annoyed me, mostly the guntits scene), and absolutely despise it when things that should be seen aren't (unless it's a comedy show poking fun at that kind of thing). Things like the Magic Skirt, pixellation/black bars, or absurd amounts of steam really piss me off because they jar my suspension of disbelief so much. It isn't about missing out on seeing something, it just seems so fundamentally wrong to, for example, have a girl hanging from a rope by her feet with her skirt firmly in place instead of obeying gravity, and throwing something on the screen to block something out is basically beating you with the fourth wall.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16739 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10:18 pm »

The Final Episode of KLK proves beyond a doubt that certain parts of the human anatomy definitely do not exist in that universe. :P

Really, really enjoyed the series. It's not quite a Code Geass in terms of depth, but then, it never really tries to be. It's fast paced, feel - good fun for all 24 episodes, and the finale as usual provided a twist or two, or three. Would definitely watch season two, although I'm not really sure how they can carry on with something of that quality for another twenty episodes.

Definitely up there with Full Metal Alchemist and Code Geass in my humble opinion. :)

(Now back to not pining for thursday nights again)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.
Pages: 1 ... 1114 1115 [1116] 1117 1118 ... 2193