Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072036 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16695 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:54 am »

I finally figured why I wasn't engaging with Baccano. I needed to hit at least episode 7 so that there'd be some sense of tension and curiosity.

... Also I love the Japanese speaking English names. Every time the Vice-President goes 'Caarroooool' it sounds like he truly, truly despises his 8-yo daughter.
Which is hilarious to me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16696 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:18 am »

... Also I love the Japanese speaking English names. Every time the Vice-President goes 'Caarroooool' it sounds like he truly, truly despises his 8-yo daughter.
Which is hilarious to me.

Oh man, the Caaarrooooool is the best part of Baccano.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16697 on: March 24, 2014, 02:14:23 pm »

WAKAMOTO <3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16698 on: March 24, 2014, 06:26:48 pm »

While reading Uzumaki today, it came to mind that Japanese horror manga runs a very weird way.
Everyone sees things that are completely impossible, and it's not like Western stuff where only little kids see it and the adults don't believe them; EVERYONE witnesses it happening.
And then they just go, "Well, I guess that's pretty strange. But I don't feel any need to bring this up with anyone else or discuss it further."

God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand was a perfect example of this: a whole room of people watch as a TRICYCLE is ejected from the torso of a small child, and then stand around being shocked and trying to find a way this could be possible.

How bizarre is the average day of a Japanese citizen that these types of events don't make you break down into insanity or doubt reality? Everyone adapts to the circumstances remarkably well.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16699 on: March 24, 2014, 06:44:15 pm »

While reading Uzumaki today, it came to mind that Japanese horror manga runs a very weird way.
Everyone sees things that are completely impossible, and it's not like Western stuff where only little kids see it and the adults don't believe them; EVERYONE witnesses it happening.
And then they just go, "Well, I guess that's pretty strange. But I don't feel any need to bring this up with anyone else or discuss it further."

God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand was a perfect example of this: a whole room of people watch as a TRICYCLE is ejected from the torso of a small child, and then stand around being shocked and trying to find a way this could be possible.

How bizarre is the average day of a Japanese citizen that these types of events don't make you break down into insanity or doubt reality? Everyone adapts to the circumstances remarkably well.
That's just that manga. Because its fucking insane. There's a lot of willing suspension of disbelief involved there. Its practically required in order to enjoy most of the chapters but I'm totally okay with that because the sheer amount of shock I experience completely makes up for the lack of logic it often has.

Junji Ito is good if you're looking for believability, and it subverts a lot of common horror tropes, with stuff happening on such a scale that no one can't know (and it still won't change anything). And if on a rare occasion the protags do hide or choose not to reveal the dangerous something then they always have believable motives for doing so. What often happens in his shorter stories is the protag(s) encounter the scary thing, then immediately go for help.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16700 on: March 24, 2014, 07:37:07 pm »

That's just that manga. Because its fucking insane. There's a lot of willing suspension of disbelief involved there. Its practically required in order to enjoy most of the chapters but I'm totally okay with that because the sheer amount of shock I experience completely makes up for the lack of logic it often has.

Junji Ito is good if you're looking for believability, and it subverts a lot of common horror tropes, with stuff happening on such a scale that no one can't know (and it still won't change anything). And if on a rare occasion the protags do hide or choose not to reveal the dangerous something then they always have believable motives for doing so. What often happens in his shorter stories is the protag(s) encounter the scary thing, then immediately go for help.

I don't know, seeing a spiral burrow a hole into a girl's head and just going "Wait, was that spiral digging into her skull?" is reacting better than I think I would.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16701 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:53 am »

Im looking for a series I can watch on my RIDICOLOUSLY long breaks on School-Days. Sadly, Berserk releases new Mangas way to slowly, and I just rewatched Elfenlied again. I also went trough the main stuff allready (Bleach, One Piece, Naruto), and a few others.

Im a bit puzzled if I should look into Fairy Tail. I only glanced it here and there.

A few pointers:

- Should be action oriented
- Powers of any sort are appreciated (One of the major reasons I like stuff like Bleach or OP is the introduction of new Enemies with even cooler Powers).
- Can be gorey, isnt a requirement tough.
- No giant robots please (For some reason, I dont like this type o' stuff.)

Thanks in advance!
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16703 on: March 26, 2014, 12:11:31 pm »

Darker than Black is ok.
It has all the powers you could want, but the story slows down a lot in the middle.

Tower of Druaga is an action/comedy set in a FF-style universe.

Berserk released a bunch of (gorier) OVA movies, if you haven't seen them.

Black lagoon is crazy good and very popular, but no powers. It's all guns and piracy.

Speed Grapher is probably exactly what you're after though.
Gore, powers, action, noir- and throw in some fetishism for good measure.
One of the few series I came SO close to preferring dubbed though.
(English actor sounds like a badass hardboiled PI, but English femvoiceactor sounds like the mumps)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:13:15 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16704 on: March 26, 2014, 12:16:00 pm »

Lets not forget Hellsing, Alucard at his finest

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16705 on: March 26, 2014, 02:29:43 pm »

You could try out Toaru Majutsu no Index and it's accompanying side stories. Fair bit of powers there, though it tends to alternate between fairly action packed episodes and ones aimed at the slice of life stuff a bit more.

Fairy tail is lots of fun IMO, though I think it suffers a bit in that they didn't go quite as far out as they should have with the respective powers, and the huge amount of powers/users means that you can run into a new villan with a new power, and just as you are starting to figure out how their power works they are gone forever.

Darker than Black is ok.
It has all the powers you could want, but the story slows down a lot in the middle.
I always thought that Darker than Black really needed 3 times as many seasons to really get into the story. It's like they tried to pull off a "draw your own conclusions" type of story, but didn't even give us enough information to start guessing at things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16706 on: March 26, 2014, 02:32:45 pm »

Last Exile and Rave Master?

Maybe Attack on Titan, too?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16707 on: March 26, 2014, 02:59:26 pm »

Throwing in my obligatory Jojo's Bizarre Adventure plug. From your description you'll probably like it. The anime also is gonna get to the part where the crazy powers start happening when the Stardust Crusaders season starts in a couple weeks.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16708 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:37 pm »

- Powers of any sort are appreciated (One of the major reasons I like stuff like Bleach or OP is the introduction of new Enemies with even cooler Powers).
Have you watched Fate/Zero?  If you haven't then you should watch Fate/Zero.  It has good characters, nice action scenes and really stellar animation.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:04:10 pm by Leafsnail »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16709 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:13 pm »

Im looking for a series I can watch on my RIDICOLOUSLY long breaks on School-Days. Sadly, Berserk releases new Mangas way to slowly, and I just rewatched Elfenlied again. I also went trough the main stuff allready (Bleach, One Piece, Naruto), and a few others.

Im a bit puzzled if I should look into Fairy Tail. I only glanced it here and there.

A few pointers:

Thanks in advance!

Have you watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Even if you've seen the first FMA series, it diverges pretty extremely fairly early on, and is excellent. Most of it is currently available for streaming on Netflix.

Dance In The Vampire Bund was decent, but it was one of those godawful 12-episode series when there's at least 50 episodes worth of source material, so the plot is disjointed and really hard to follow. Currently on Netflix.

D. Gray Man is a pretty good, but it tends to "power up" primarily by adding new characters, with the existing ones not getting too much more (at least, as far as I've seen, have yet to finish it.) Most of it is on Netflix.

Strike Witches is a very polarizing show. Essentially, it is WWII, except all the fighter planes are young girls carrying guns, and instead of fighting each other they're fighting aliens. It gets a lot of flack for fanservice, a fair bit of which is justified, but the underlying war story's pretty well done.

Area 88 is an extremely realistic dog-fighting series, involving mercenary fighter pilots fighting in a fictional African country's civil war.

Girls Und Panzer is a show about a high school Girls' sports team. That sport is tank combat. Also all the schools are aircraft carriers for some reason. Despite many crimes against logic, it is pretty good.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 ... 2193