Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060647 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16530 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:42 pm »

THAT EPISODE YESSSSS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16531 on: March 14, 2014, 10:01:54 pm »

I just realized that DBZ is the Guile's Theme of crossovers .-.

Not that necessarily everything goes with it.  But everyone tries.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16532 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:30 pm »

Its cause it was probably the first awesome action anime many people ever saw, despite it being over +10? years old by the time it got here.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16533 on: March 14, 2014, 11:44:34 pm »

A 7 year lag, not 10+, for DBZ. It started airing in America just as season 7 ended in Japan.

Though Harmony Gold started to dub the first DragonBall anime in the late 1980's, but they cancelled it after dubbing 5 episodes because test marketing showed a poor response. Though it was a typical horrible Harmony Gold localization effort, with all the characters renamed to non-Japanese names.

My response to seeing DBZ on TV in the 90's was "meh", since the 1980's mecha anime I'd already seen, and movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll etc were so much better. So, basically I've never been a DragonBall fan, not in the slightest.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:01:24 am by Reelya »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16534 on: March 15, 2014, 01:08:45 am »

My reaction after every Sakura Trick episode: d'awwww

Haruka/Yuu are so damn cute together, and Kotone/Shizuku are pretty adorbs themselves. I didn't expect a Yuri anime placing among my favorites in the season but there it is. Most of the other stuff (outside KILL LA KILL) I'm not excited for like I am to see the show's silly lesbian antics.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16535 on: March 15, 2014, 01:33:16 am »

Oh geez that KLK episode, i'm pretty sure i just suffered a seizure cause that was too much for my brain to handle xD

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16536 on: March 15, 2014, 07:52:40 am »

Ugh... back on my, what, fifth attempt to finish Baccano?
I feel so bad because I just can't seem to get into it, and it's crazy popular.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16537 on: March 15, 2014, 08:18:44 am »

Ugh... back on my, what, fifth attempt to finish Baccano?
I feel so bad because I just can't seem to get into it, and it's crazy popular.
What about it bothers you? The non-chronological style of storytelling is my initial guess.

Because in all seriousness, Baccano! is amazing, especially once you get far enough in that the plots become more evident, because they're just as crazy as certain characters. Even if for some reason you decide you're never ever going to finish it, look for a video compilation of Ladd's scenes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16538 on: March 15, 2014, 08:27:52 am »

Ok, Ladd Russo is a pretty interesting character.
I've just never made it past the 3rd episode before. I usually find something else to watch, or get sidetracked.
Chronology isn't a problem though... It's more fractured than Haruhi Suzumiya, but more organized at the same time.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16539 on: March 15, 2014, 11:45:14 am »

I liked Baccano, but not so much the ending (or lack thereof). Open endings are great; stopping right after a new plotline has got some development, not so much.

Also it kinda turned into a shonen anime, what with wrenches stopping bullets and punches leaving craters in the floor.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16540 on: March 15, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »

A 7 year lag, not 10+, for DBZ. It started airing in America just as season 7 ended in Japan.

Though Harmony Gold started to dub the first DragonBall anime in the late 1980's, but they cancelled it after dubbing 5 episodes because test marketing showed a poor response. Though it was a typical horrible Harmony Gold localization effort, with all the characters renamed to non-Japanese names.

My response to seeing DBZ on TV in the 90's was "meh", since the 1980's mecha anime I'd already seen, and movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll etc were so much better. So, basically I've never been a DragonBall fan, not in the slightest.
Eh, but DBZ is still a pretty big thing.  Big enough for it to be the 'Guile's Theme of Crossovers'.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16541 on: March 15, 2014, 12:48:55 pm »

IIRC there's more of the Baccano! series, the anime just chose to stop adapting it in a weird place.  I'm mostly ok with the chronological weirdness except for the first episode - that only really serves to tell you all the twists in advance.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16542 on: March 15, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »

Eh, but DBZ is still a pretty big thing.  Big enough for it to be the 'Guile's Theme of Crossovers'.

McDonald's is a big thing, too. Doesn't mean I want to eat there. I think it's an age thing. Anyone over a certain age just couldn't stomach DBZ or Pokemon when they first came out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:53:12 pm by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16543 on: March 15, 2014, 05:53:11 pm »

Ah, but I bet there isn't a Hitler/McD crossover there actually is, isn't it

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile