Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3063015 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16335 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:37 am »

lmao
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: February 28, 2014, 11:56:09 am »

How does Kill la Kill keep getting better? You'd think there'd be some upper limit on how impressive something's allowed to be, and yet, here we are. This episode was just like all the other episodes, in that I did not see that one coming, and I love that that's the case.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16337 on: February 28, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »

God damn Kill La Kill...
Pure prefect...

Also... I am so conflicted with the ideas behind some things...
How can this be something that can be seen on normal TVs without me having to see explicit material on the sidebars of the site. The amount of nearnudity in this is just way too high. That and the moment when you see Satsuki through the monitor and they say, "don't look she is naked", WHILE BEING PRACTICALLY NAKED THEMSELVES!!! WTF!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: February 28, 2014, 01:36:43 pm »

One of the interesting themes I've been noticing is the sort of "be comfortable with your body" "nudity is nothing to be ashamed of" sort of thing, which forms an interesting contrast with the idea of averting your eyes from nudity as a gesture of respect. I think that, by this point, I've been fairly well convinced that these are entirely compatible, because the presence of tits is really beside the point of it all. It's a matter of dignity.

... I over-analyze the shows I watch okay it's just a thing I do
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: February 28, 2014, 03:20:29 pm »

No, I can actually see that being one of the core themes of KLK; some of the earliest episodes are devoted to overcoming body shame and the social stigma of (near) nudity in order to function normally. Of course in this case, 'function normally' means 'beat the stuffing out of people'. That's actually the way I'd approach it: rather than treating it as sexy or embarrassing, it's depicted as normal and a source of humor when people overreact (from the audience's perspective, mind).

Meh, rambling.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16340 on: February 28, 2014, 03:43:37 pm »

Yeah, no, I agree with you completely. It's why my inner feminist loves this show.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16341 on: February 28, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: February 28, 2014, 10:55:02 pm »

Ohey a new SRW Z3 pv~

Shame it will probably never, ever come to the States, or even receive a translation :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:08 pm »

Continuing to watch Toradora, not bad. Lots of tsundere, given the plot, lots of cringe moments of social awkwardness or general anime "by the power of friendship" style cheesy talking. Still enjoyable. Like a bad B-movie but if all the giant ants were tsundere japanese high schoolers trying to gain the attention of their romantic interests with the most convoluted plans possible. Basically not like a B movie at all.

At one point the Main Character Dude is helping his crush with part time work in the liquor store. While working in the storeroom out back, crush naively comments to MCD on how the storeroom only gets opened once a week, doesn't get much use, is really dark, and getting locked in would be like getting stranded on an island. On cue, the boss walks by and closes and locks the huge oak door. He walks away commenting "the kid left the door open, sheesh." Cue the two of them being locked in, together, alone, in the dark, awkwardly, surrounded by liquid confidence.

Classic. I'm entertained. Yet to see what happens yet, although I doubt it'd get really inappropriate. Still funny in an ironic-maybe-not-really-ironic-but-darkly-humorous-given-the-context way.

Given how much everyone's talking about Kill La Kill, I'll check it out.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16344 on: February 28, 2014, 11:05:05 pm »

Wait, that simile confused me. Do you mean to say that the U.S. army is sending teams with flamethrowers into the LA sewer system to hunt down a bunch of Japanese high-schoolers?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: February 28, 2014, 11:22:16 pm »

Wait, that simile confused me. Do you mean to say that the U.S. army is sending teams with flamethrowers into the LA sewer system to hunt down a bunch of Japanese high-schoolers?

I'm not sure how to answer that. On one hand, it's a hilarious and kinda awesome image. On the other hand, it implies the burning of schoolchildren living in sewers with military grade weapons. Outside of the context of a Cataclysm:DDA thread that seems kinda bad to approve of. The only suitable answer is *explosion noise here*

Watching the first episode of Kill La Kill now on crunchyroll. Wasn't sure what to expect, had no previous knowledge of the show. First impression is !!AWESOME!!

Really love the animation style. It reminds me Panty and Stocking, albeit slightly less Westernized. Concept and plot seem over-the-top crazy and fueled by awesome. Honestly the whole show seems crazily-fueled-by-awesome. Is this a Gainax show? It smells like Gainax.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: February 28, 2014, 11:23:29 pm »

It's by Trigger, which is basically Gainax's mitosis baby.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:26:12 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: February 28, 2014, 11:25:27 pm »

One of the interesting themes I've been noticing is the sort of "be comfortable with your body" "nudity is nothing to be ashamed of" sort of thing, which forms an interesting contrast with the idea of averting your eyes from nudity as a gesture of respect. I think that, by this point, I've been fairly well convinced that these are entirely compatible, because the presence of tits is really beside the point of it all. It's a matter of dignity.
Yeah, I think the clothes represent conformity forced on you by society.  It's still an excuse to show naked ladies but damn if it isn't a well constructed excuse to show naked ladies.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:27:59 pm by Leafsnail »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16348 on: March 01, 2014, 12:06:22 am »

So I've caught up as far as Crunchyroll will allow for me, with KLK. This just might be even better than TTGL.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: March 01, 2014, 01:22:54 am »

Got to the third episode of Kill La Kill. That last battle literally had me yelling "HOLY SHIT" at my screen until the action stopped. I don't usually respond that vocally to shows.

Needless to say, I love it. Crazy action scenes, amazing design all around, interesting concept and plot, some thought provoking symbolism and topics in regards to all the clothing references, great animation with tons of small details and reactive expressions, good humour without being really obnoxious or tasteless, and scantily clad anime babes as a bonus. It's good, to understate it.

Also I may have a slight fanboy-crush on Ryuko. Just, y'know, because they're the protagonist. You're supposed to root for them. And she's awesome. Badass, determinator, spunky punk girl art design, confident in her abilities, bashful, and still manages to be adorable at times. Totally not just because of that outfit or anything. That's a good bonus though.

Darn it anime thread, I had things to do tonight, not watch a marathon of crazy awesome anime.

Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 2193