Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065687 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16110 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »

I didn't feel like the SnK plot of humans vs giants needed the powers as a main plot point. It felt like the writer didn't know where to go with the core concept so the powers concept is tacked on top of the "land of the giants" concept.
Wait, did we watch the same show?  How could you possibly say that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16111 on: January 26, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »

I think it's kind of obvious that the write came up with the idea of low-tech humans besieged by giants and living in huge walled cities first, then tacked on the explanation and plot twists afterwards.

Think about it, given the very basic synposis, any two writers told to come up with an explanation could pretty much add whatever they like. You could throw powers in, or no powers. Or have the plot explain the origins of the giants totally differently, etc. None of that is contradicatory to the basic concept of "human cities besieged by giants".

In that respect, Shinsekai Yori is far more cohesive as a narrative. The entire history of that world, and the relationships between the elements rely on the existence of the powers. If you removed the powers from that show, you'd have to put a placeholder in their stead like "technology" or something, but a "no powers" version basically couldn't be written.

But I don't think a "no powers" versiion of SnK would have presented any such difficulty for the writers or audience to accept.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16112 on: January 26, 2014, 09:59:04 pm »

Uhhh Have you read the manga? Cause without the whole powers thing like the last two arcs of the manga wouldn't really exist.

"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16113 on: January 26, 2014, 10:04:01 pm »

Now of course the current arcs of the manga rely on what the author has said before - that's self-evident. That doesn't affect my argument. Though I seriously doubt you'd have to remove the titans altogether to have a consistent story without the author's current explanation.

The giants besieging humanity, could have another explanation at the start. Aliens? Mutants? Secret weapons project? etc etc. And within each of those basic categories there would be dozens of ways you could interweave the elements. A good writer works with whatever they have, and I guarantee you that you could make any of those ideas work, and you'd now have manga arcs entirely dependent on whichever paradigm you chose to explain the titans.

Any two writers told to explain the titans would come up with different back stories. It's very unlikely a writer told the basic premise and asked to come up with an explanation would light on the one that the author did.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:14:25 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16114 on: January 26, 2014, 11:51:28 pm »

I think it's kind of obvious that the write came up with the idea of low-tech humans besieged by giants and living in huge walled cities first, then tacked on the explanation and plot twists afterwards.
That doesn't sound obvious at all, but even if it's true: so what?  It's clear that the series was written from the start with the core plot element in mind - you see the weirdly intelligent and powerful titans in episode freaking one.  Without those titans the walls would never be breached (because humanity has already learnt how to keep out the regular titans indefinitely) and there'd be no plot.

e: Actually I know for a fact you're wrong here due to the author's original inspiration for the series.

Any two writers told to explain the titans would come up with different back stories. It's very unlikely a writer told the basic premise and asked to come up with an explanation would light on the one that the author did.
So basically the way a story unfolds has to be so obvious that anyone could guess it just by reading a very cut-down version of the premise?  That's a completely bizarre viewpoint to take.  I'd understand this viewpoint if, say, the core plot element was introduced late or was underutilized, but in SnK it's introduced in literally the first episode and defines basically all of the later arcs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:54:36 pm by Leafsnail »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16115 on: January 27, 2014, 12:08:20 am »

So basically the way a story unfolds has to be so obvious that anyone could guess it just by reading a very cut-down version of the premise?  That's a completely bizarre viewpoint to take.  I'd understand this viewpoint if, say, the core plot element was introduced late or was underutilized, but in SnK it's introduced in literally the first episode and defines basically all of the later arcs.

Definitely not a good summary of what I said. I said there that there are MANY possible ways to develop the plot, all equally valid. The poster I was replying to said that without the *exact* plot development that occurred, that no giants could have existed in the plot. I was refuting that single point. What I said is that there are any number of possible and equally viable explanations that could have been written in for why giants are attacking the humans, the one the writer settled on isn't so special.

Anyway "origin of the giants" isn't really a complaint at all. What I specifically think is best summarized thus:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:32:50 am by Reelya »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16116 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:29 am »

I'm kinda with Reelya on this one. Sort of.

Mind you I still love the series to death.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16117 on: January 27, 2014, 10:09:43 am »

In todays Build Fighters MAXIMUM ADVERTISEMENT. But its okay because the episode was hilarious and that was some genuinely good advice straight out of the real life Meijin Kawaguchi's tutorials.

*resists urge to go build sazabi instead of doing homework*

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:11:49 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #16118 on: January 27, 2014, 04:58:08 pm »

The Tem Ray Circuit? I guess it'd be useful for poor people who can't replace their gunpla after it gets trashed.[/SRW]
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16119 on: January 29, 2014, 05:31:54 pm »

Watched Princess Mononoke after watching it maybe ten years back, when I was a child. Still love it, and really enjoyed watching it again. My dad got us (note: my sister and I) to watch a couple of Hayao Miyazaki's films, like Naausica of the valley of the wind and Spirited away. His characters and the themes in the movies make them rather enjoyable to watch, I would think.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16120 on: January 29, 2014, 06:12:18 pm »

I did that a while back. Last semester for my comm class we were suppose to write a review on a movie and my prof mentioned that our library had Princess Mononoke (He was a big anime fan) and since I hadn't seen it in a long time I decided to review it. Nice trip down nostalgia lane since Princess Mononoke was either the first or second anime type thing I ever watched. (Totoro might have been the first, I can't remember.)
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16121 on: January 29, 2014, 11:08:16 pm »

Spoiler: ACTUAL AoT SPOILERS (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16122 on: January 29, 2014, 11:10:41 pm »

I like you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16123 on: January 29, 2014, 11:18:47 pm »

I like you.
I like you even more than I already did.

It was seriously so frustrating for them to go through so much carp to just "op. nothn acomplished. srryz." It was like playing Megaman or being super constipated.

But I guess that's sort of the point of AoT. Its like a coconut that you keep smashing with a rock and it just. won't. fucking. OPEN

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16124 on: January 30, 2014, 12:39:48 am »

You're being overly kind, here. It's not just that the coconut refuses to open - it telepathically projects an illusion that it did open, only to reveal the charade when you chip your teeth trying to bite into the fucker.

why can't i stop biting
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 2193