Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065988 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16080 on: January 22, 2014, 09:08:33 pm »

Meh. The only series of this sort that I really managed to enjoy at all was Azumanga Daioh (which I really need to get back to watching), and that because a lot of the characters hit the right notes of dysfunction.

Probably the best one out there, along with Aria, and Hidamari Sketch, which doesn't get mentioned much, but seems to have a huge fanbase. It's on 4 seasons 5 goddamn seasons so far, which makes it the slice of life with the best durability ever. Being greenlit 5 times is almost miraculous for a show in this genre.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:16:28 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: January 22, 2014, 09:20:43 pm »

Meh. The only series of this sort that I really managed to enjoy at all was Azumanga Daioh (which I really need to get back to watching), and that because a lot of the characters hit the right notes of dysfunction.

Probably the best one out there, along with Aria, and Hidamari Sketch, which doesn't get mentioned much, but seems to have a huge fanbase. It's on 4 seasons 5 goddamn seasons so far, which makes it the slice of life with the best durability ever. Being greenlit 5 times is almost miraculous for a show in this genre.

What I'm given to understand is that a lot of the "girls doing nothing" series copied it without really understanding what made it good.

Actually, I've read a bit of Aria as well, and the visuals are absolutely gorgeous.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:23 pm »

That was my impression, and the reason why I avoided it. And really, GuP was a sports anime, which equates to "girls doing nothing" in this case. There is technically a plot, I suppose, but it is less than inspired. The only novel part is that instead of a tennis team or mahjong club, etc., they're saving the school by driving tanks. And honestly, for all the tank stuff that they actually did their research on, I was still turned off of that aspect by the handwavium that apparently makes it no more dangerous than any other sport. (We lined the interiors of the tanks with carbon, which makes them impenetrable! Yay!) Especially how nonchalant the MC is when she's turned out while people are blasting away at her.

Wait, that was the handwavium?  I though it was because they were firing empty shells with radio transceivers on the back that relayed firing velocity/arc to the judges to determine if a successful penetration was accomplished and remotely triggered the flags if it was a successful kill.  It still makes moving around while not buttoned down like the protagonist kept doing not so bright (since getting clocked in the head with a piece of tungsten/steel traveling at muzzle velocities is pretty nasty even if it's designed not to penetrate tank armor), but that's just typical media stuff like how only the bad guys seem to wear helmets.  I actually rather liked the show, though the premise was rather silly. 

I loved Azumanga Daioh, stopped watching Lucky Star and K-On after the first episodes, never saw Aria or Hidamari Sketch.  I might have to try them now, though. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:37:11 pm by Culise »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16083 on: January 22, 2014, 09:53:48 pm »

That was my impression, and the reason why I avoided it. And really, GuP was a sports anime, which equates to "girls doing nothing" in this case. There is technically a plot, I suppose, but it is less than inspired. The only novel part is that instead of a tennis team or mahjong club, etc., they're saving the school by driving tanks. And honestly, for all the tank stuff that they actually did their research on, I was still turned off of that aspect by the handwavium that apparently makes it no more dangerous than any other sport. (We lined the interiors of the tanks with carbon, which makes them impenetrable! Yay!) Especially how nonchalant the MC is when she's turned out while people are blasting away at her.

Wait, that was the handwavium?  I though it was because they were firing empty shells with radio transceivers on the back that relayed firing velocity/arc to the judges to determine if a successful penetration was accomplished and remotely triggered the flags if it was a successful kill.  It still makes moving around while not buttoned down like the protagonist kept doing not so bright (since getting clocked in the head with a piece of tungsten/steel traveling at muzzle velocities is pretty nasty even if it's designed not to penetrate tank armor), but that's just typical media stuff like how only the bad guys seem to wear helmets.  I actually rather liked the show, though the premise was rather silly. 
I seem to recall more than a few explosions, and of course there's the moment where that one Matilda's fuel tank is lit on fire by a low-calibre shell. But yes, unless I'm horribly misremembering, they handwaved it with some sort of coating they put on the inside of the crew compartment. And either way it doesn't explain why some crews use (and even HAVE) live machine gun rounds.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: January 22, 2014, 10:12:19 pm »

It was the second or third episode that explained the super-armor, and that was, in fact, the explanation for how the sport was save. That doesn't explain the machine-guns constantly being fired, or (much worse) the fact that concussion alone (getting hit with a high-velocity high-caliber shell imparts a huge amount of energy into a tank, which can cause serious damage and kill crew even without a penetration) should have killed several of them during the course of the show. For that matter, getting hit hard enough to go flying end-over-end would kill everyone on board. None of those tanks had seat belts.

Incidentally, ever since I watched that show I've had recurring dreams of a "real war" version.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: January 22, 2014, 10:17:23 pm »

One I picked up last year that was a lot of fun is the Symphogear series. Really silly, but epic at the same time. Basically the girls are like cyber-valkyries that have these crystals that are relics of ancient norse-sounding superweapons, and the crystals are sonically triggered, so they're also pop idols who have to sing rock/pop ballads whilst they fight. And the enemy are surrealistic interdimensional alien-looking things called "The Noise". It's also very much a magical girl show with over the top transformation sequences featuring a "music" motif.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16086 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:44 pm »

Incidentally, ever since I watched that show I've had recurring dreams of a "real war" version.
So have I, actually. It'd stand a decent chance, in the same way that a remake of Strike Witches could be if it focused on people fighting giant aliens while flying around with magic propellers strapped to their legs, as opposed to a mountain of stupid fanservice. Come to think of it, the basic concept for the Witches and Neuroi (or w/e) is actually not incredibly different from SnK...

Ordinary-sized people fighting giant monsters? Check.
Using strange equipment to give themselves the necessary maneuverability? Check.
Fighting the monsters with (in a few cases, at least) melee weapons? Check.
Attack the weak point for massive damage? Check.

o.0

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: January 22, 2014, 10:26:18 pm »

Actually, you just described Symphogear, lol. It's pretty much Strike Witches minus the fanservice, plus an "idol" gimmick. Yup, it's dumb, but it was fun, and there wasn't much sitting around having baths and goofing off in it, there was plenty of plot, regardless of being pretty jokey.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: January 22, 2014, 10:58:53 pm »

Hm, I might try that if I ever get around to actually watching everything I have queued up. ;.;

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: January 23, 2014, 04:51:57 pm »

Buddy Complex: airing Jan 2014, it's basically Gay marriage: the mecha anime. To powerup, the two male pilots (chosen for their high compatibility score) have to go through "coupling" together which involves stages of "proposing" and "accepting". And the mecha that "proposed" deploys a special ring that the other one has to "accept", then a "forceveil" is opened. Can't get more obvious that that, right?

Other than that it's a very generic mecha anime, but that part makes me chuckle a bit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:16:21 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: January 23, 2014, 07:41:10 pm »

Haha, so sort of a modernized mixture of Aquarion and a genderflipped Simoun?

3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16091 on: January 23, 2014, 08:37:20 pm »

Ohey a first glimpse at the Attack on Titan movie. Well of a car commercial that ties into the movie, but titans!
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: January 23, 2014, 10:33:45 pm »

Ohey a first glimpse at the Attack on Titan movie. Well of a car commercial that ties into the movie, but titans!
They included a female Titan. Not the female Titan, but a female Titan. Guess we know already how faithful the movie will be to the source material :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: January 24, 2014, 07:55:30 am »

There are female titans in the source, though.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: January 24, 2014, 08:13:14 am »

There are female titans in the source, though.
It is a possibility... as long as they are not the normal fodder kind.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 2193