Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067263 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #15900 on: January 01, 2014, 09:23:08 am »

Hey! Why are you posting Viland Saga but not posting HORSE PUNCH?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That horse fucking deserved it.

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15901 on: January 01, 2014, 12:08:20 pm »

holy shit I just tanked through Puella Magi Madoka Magica in one sitting.

Remind me to never do something like that again without at least 40 pounds of chocolate laced with antidepressants.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15902 on: January 01, 2014, 02:47:24 pm »

I started reading some Junji Ito stuff. Holy shit this stuff is disturbing.

Everything is really surreal and the situations play out stiltedly, a bit like everything is the fever dream of a paranoid schizophrenic, but man, super creepy and gets under your skin easy.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15903 on: January 01, 2014, 03:05:31 pm »

I started reading some Junji Ito stuff. Holy shit this stuff is disturbing.

Everything is really surreal and the situations play out stiltedly, a bit like everything is the fever dream of a paranoid schizophrenic, but man, super creepy and gets under your skin easy.
Yes. And the faces, man, the faces. I excreted exclusively building materials for weeks.
The stiltedness that you mention is the defining detail of Junji Ito's works which I was never able to put my finger on. It's like you know the whole situation is slightly stupid, but it's pants-crappingly terrifying anyway. Besides, the sheer scale of the horror is sometimes shocking. I mean, Junji Ito-style horror doesn't happen in a quiet back-country town, it happens right in the middle of the street, goes on the news, and then it's apocalypse time.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15904 on: January 02, 2014, 01:19:54 am »

holy shit I just tanked through Puella Magi Madoka Magica in one sitting.

Remind me to never do something like that again without at least 40 pounds of chocolate laced with antidepressants.

PMMM is so short and so engrossing, I really can't imagine sitting down to watch part of it without watching the whole thing.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15905 on: January 02, 2014, 02:26:28 am »

I am kind of liking Gunpla battles.

Sure it isn't anything too special, and in many ways it is so far rather silly for what is occurring on screen, and anyone who is a main character is immediately noticeable... but it is rather consistently good and I feel like it is going to get better.

It is nice to get away from my consistently terrible anime choices.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15906 on: January 03, 2014, 02:44:30 am »

Just got caught up on Log Horizon over the past few days. This series is awesome and from what I'cve heard the author is a really awesome guy too
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:47:18 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15907 on: January 03, 2014, 02:47:29 am »

Sure it isn't anything too special, and in many ways it is so far rather silly for what is occurring on screen, and anyone who is a main character is immediately noticeable... but it is rather consistently good and I feel like it is going to get better.

It's been sort of disturbing for me because I've got this creeping paranoid voice in the back of my head when I watch it, wondering when the shit is going to hit the fan with the newtypes and that weird alien prince backstory thing and the real mobile suits are going to come out of the woodwork, even though I know it won't happen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15908 on: January 03, 2014, 11:31:23 am »

Just got caught up on Log Horizon over the past few days. This series is awesome and from what I'cve heard the author is a really awesome guy too
I've been keeping up with it, good stuff so far, in my opinion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15909 on: January 03, 2014, 05:15:13 pm »

I read Tower of god in one, three days long run. Now need more.

Damn you SiU. I am slaved to yet another webcomic now.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15910 on: January 04, 2014, 02:25:05 am »

It's been sort of disturbing for me because I've got this creeping paranoid voice in the back of my head when I watch it, wondering when the shit is going to hit the fan with the newtypes and that weird alien prince backstory thing and the real mobile suits are going to come out of the woodwork, even though I know it won't happen.

It is sort of what happens in these kinds of shows. Eventually things have to get "Real" (It is interesting that Angelic Layer actually managed to never do that).

Though it might never actually lead to real gundams.

I still think the show has the flimsiest science ever devised. For a "scientific force" it certainly takes a lot of artistic liberties.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15911 on: January 04, 2014, 02:41:48 am »

It is sort of what happens in these kinds of shows. Eventually things have to get "Real" (It is interesting that Angelic Layer actually managed to never do that).

Though it might never actually lead to real gundams.

I still think the show has the flimsiest science ever devised. For a "scientific force" it certainly takes a lot of artistic liberties.

Eh, the more Real Robot-y of the various Gundam series are still sketchy, no surprise that one of the lighter fighting-not-war ones is even worse off. But then I've never been one to not read or watch something just because it plays fast and loose with reality for the sake of the story.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15912 on: January 04, 2014, 03:00:08 am »

Ohh I was speaking literally.

It is weird to see a scientific force to actually look at your machine and go "Hmmm, you painted your Gunpla REALLY well. I'll make it more powerful"

It would make sense if it was that they had to get as close to actual gundams as possible... but the show clearly establishes that... you can just make up whatever the heck you want.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:01:49 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15913 on: January 04, 2014, 04:21:05 am »

My own take on it has been that the custom building really is about how much you can structurally reinforce the gunpla as discussed in episode 3, and the appearance is just making it look nice to put on a better show in the competitions and showcase your building skill, since thats kinda the point of gunpla building. Otherwise the time and money investment would be way too much in building replacement parts and such. Personally I think the special powers and stuff may actually be related to small mechanical components that manipulate the air flow, and therefore the particals, and also custom programming stored in the GP base.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15914 on: January 04, 2014, 11:06:25 am »

I think there's a mecha scale of scientific hardness, ranging from Front Mission and the ilk (tanks are still more effective in wars during their emergence, except for the few battles that take place in the city where they're roughly average to each other, the most disputed thing is "should they really be able to punch like that" or the fact they glide over flat surfaces (mecha skating).

On the other end of the scale, you've got stuff like Gurren Lagann. I don't really need to explain that, right?

Somewhere in the middle you get stuff like Gundam, with believable but very futuristic stuff going on, so there's just enough there to say "plausible" rather than "It's a galaxy-sized mecha powered by fighting spirit".
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 2193