Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070653 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #15645 on: November 19, 2013, 05:58:55 pm »

A minor nitpick about Balefire. Erasing stuff from before it existed is actually pretty much always a benefit, since it has a significant chance of saving the life of people on your side if used in a battle, and if you are throwing a laserbeam instadeath spell at enemies, you want them to die as fast as possible, even if that is before you attacked them.
Its real downside is that it damages reality.
The benefits were pretty much always hand-of-god author fiat, though. If you actually consider the implications, it's damned frightening even without the whole degrading the reality bit. Especially if you get into the paradoxes involved with killing someone with balefire right after they used balefire.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15646 on: November 19, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »

That, of course, is why it destroys reality in the first place. There is, of course, just one other counter to it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15647 on: November 19, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »

Even aside from the saving people's life, it would still be crazy useful in fights against other casters.
A) It cannot be blocked or diverted, as well as having a long range.
B) Once formed it is an instant(?) beam attack.
C) It kills almost *anything* it hits in one blow. Even if you are up against some nasty shadowspawn (darkhounds/myrddraal), they will die in a single casting. Beings that it cannot kill it still wounds (the mist in shadar logoth), which is far more then can be said for most other weaves.

Even ignoring the benefit of retroactively killing enemies before they attack/kill your you/allies, it is still perhaps the best weapon to use against enemy casters, or against beings that lesser weaves are unable to dispatch easily if at all.

But the paradox's aren't really that annoying, especially since the universe sorts them out automatically. Yes, you might be confused after a battle is over, but that's pretty much the extent of its downsides if you ignore the fact that use damages reality.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15648 on: November 19, 2013, 06:41:34 pm »

>_> Isn't that from the Wheel of Time books? This is getting rather off topic.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15649 on: November 19, 2013, 07:02:23 pm »

Even aside from the saving people's life, it would still be crazy useful in fights against other casters.
A) It cannot be blocked or diverted, as well as having a long range.
B) Once formed it is an instant(?) beam attack.
C) It kills almost *anything* it hits in one blow. Even if you are up against some nasty shadowspawn (darkhounds/myrddraal), they will die in a single casting. Beings that it cannot kill it still wounds (the mist in shadar logoth), which is far more then can be said for most other weaves.

Even ignoring the benefit of retroactively killing enemies before they attack/kill your you/allies, it is still perhaps the best weapon to use against enemy casters, or against beings that lesser weaves are unable to dispatch easily if at all.

But the paradox's aren't really that annoying, especially since the universe sorts them out automatically. Yes, you might be confused after a battle is over, but that's pretty much the extent of its downsides if you ignore the fact that use damages reality.

Except for those repeated references to the last war against Shai'tan, where everyone on both sides, including the Forsaken/Chosen voluntarily stopped using it because the effects of so much balefire were fucking terrifying? When even those insane fuckers are scared of using it too much, that tells you something. Which is precisely the point: it's overpowered to an insane degree, but the problems with it are equally frightening.

>_> Isn't that from the Wheel of Time books? This is getting rather off topic.
The Wheel of Time would make for a great anime if done right, though I'm sort of scared to contemplate how long it would run once you added filler. It'd certainly beat out Legend of the Galactic Heroes on length with just the original material. You'd probably end up with an extra sixty or so episodes just of omakes and post-ending OVAs.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15650 on: November 19, 2013, 08:24:46 pm »

I don't know about that. The running time would probably average out to around a minute per page, since a huge amount of the text is descriptive. Large paragraphs telling you exactly what a room looks like would be covered in single frames.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15651 on: November 19, 2013, 08:51:09 pm »

I don't know about that. The running time would probably average out to around a minute per page, since a huge amount of the text is descriptive. Large paragraphs telling you exactly what a room looks like would be covered in single frames.
And you're saying that it wouldn't be absolutely loaded with shots of people doing nothing in pretty places for looooong times? This specific sequence. I know deep down in my liver that that is exactly what would happen. Not to mention that there would be a shitload of Talking is a Free Action in the fights. Hell, just the will-they-or-won't-they between Mat and Tuon during that section of book 10 would probably be stretched out to an easy 6-7 episodes worth of screentime.

Granted, Jordan's obsession with description of places, dresses, and people that have already been described in detail seven times in the same volume alone is a large part of what bloated the series, but certainly not all of it. I don't even want to imagine how much dialogue would be invented based on his strange sort of gender naturalism that he constantly goes off about.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15652 on: November 19, 2013, 10:01:57 pm »

And you're saying that it wouldn't be absolutely loaded with shots of people doing nothing in pretty places for looooong times? This specific sequence. I know deep down in my liver that that is exactly what would happen. Not to mention that there would be a shitload of Talking is a Free Action in the fights. Hell, just the will-they-or-won't-they between Mat and Tuon during that section of book 10 would probably be stretched out to an easy 6-7 episodes worth of screentime.

There'd be a fair bit of that sort of thing, but I think it would be MORE than balanced out buy so many things taking much, much less time to play out on the screen than the page. It isn't just the constant descriptions (critical for remembering things when you have hundreds of pages between appearances, in my opinion), but the fighting as well, due to the detailed listings of combat moves. I can't remember the specific scene, but I sat down once and worked out just how long one of the fights which went on for several pages actually would have taken. As a rough estmate, it lasted half a minute.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #15653 on: November 19, 2013, 10:11:53 pm »

I tried reading the wheel of time series, but once Balefire was introduced, I quit, I didn't want to deal with lazy cheap plot-invalidation bullshit like that.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15654 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:19 pm »

It is, if anything, the exact opposite of "lazy cheap plot-invalidation bullshit." At least half the plot only exists due to balefire. It is a weapon, an extremely dangerous and deadly weapon that gets thrown about recklessly by major players on both sides. Nothing more or less.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15655 on: November 20, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »

IMO this is the core problem with shonen, and it stems in no small part from the genre being more-or-less all about power fantasies for tweenaged boys. When an author starts with that power escalation, they've doomed themselves to writing shit, because if you get into a Lensman arms race with individuals, sooner or later you'll arrive at the point where everything about the premise is batshit insane in the worst possible way. Especially when it devolves to characters asspulling random I WIN moves, or worse, antagonists who aren't actually a challenge and just have a stupid gimmick or keep running away.
This is exactly why the best series are always those where the characters don't so much get more powerful, but rather just get more clever, and lot of the fun of the series comes from introducing a bad guy with some crazy power you would never figure out, and watching the main character trying to figure out what exactly their power is while trying to figure how to use their small power to counter it. Take a look at a lot of the sub-plots in Toaru Majutsu no Index and it's side story stuff. (Not so much in the direct main story, once you involve Touma a lot of the story lines boil down to "run in, get beat up, and punch-out the invincible bad guy". The side stories and background characters tend to prove much more versatile). Nobody ever really "levels up" in those series, they just learn how to use their powers to counter whatever is happening with the new bad guy's powers.

On a Wheel of time anime I think it could turn out to be either really good or really bad, depending on a how exactly is was changed to script form. On the note of length I'd like to point out that even if you cut the length of each book in half due to just empty descriptions and whatnot, the length of each one still comes out to around 400-600 pages. I think that while it might not be quite the 100+ episode length, it would still have quite a substantial length.

On the note of balefire I think they handled it pretty well. It's a very powerful weapon, but other then Rand (who seems to whip it out at the drop of a hat) most of the characters seem to treat it like the weapon that it is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It doesn't just become some magic "super-special attack that automatically wins" type thing at all, but retains its seriousness right up through the last book.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15656 on: November 20, 2013, 05:37:30 pm »

I think Wheel of Time is pretty unambiguously Not An Anime.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15657 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:02 pm »

I think when it was brought in earlier it was being used as an example of "ultimate power macguffin" being used right or wrong... I forget.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15658 on: November 20, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »

So, has anyone here seen Linebarrels of Iron or Birdy the Mighty:Decode? I am considering purchasing one or the other as soon as I am somehow able to afford such a thing and would like to know if there are any valid opinions that could be said on either anime.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15659 on: November 20, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »

I think when it was brought in earlier it was being used as an example of "ultimate power macguffin" being used right or wrong... I forget.

Yeah, I originally brought up balefire as an example of an obscenely powerful thing that has an equally obscene downside, as a contrast to the typical shonen trend where characters get powerups with a drawback like "OMG it makes me look evil" or "Oh hey I had to spend two whole days learning how to not be a complete chucklefuck with it".

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 2193