Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075447 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #15225 on: September 20, 2013, 05:46:49 pm »

The Berserk movies are awesome.  I enjoyed all three of them.

Maybe Studio 4C will do more content that would be also awesome.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15226 on: September 20, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15227 on: September 20, 2013, 07:20:56 pm »

At some point after Kyattou Ninden Teyandee! had been off the air in Japan, and the American localization team had turned it into the gag-reel overdub known as Samurai Pizza Cats, the character designer and writer decided to bring the story out of retirement. He combined the 4th-wall breaking style of the American Overdub with the original plot and characters he'd written, in the form of a cute, obscure, and completely ridiculous Manga.

One of the later plot arcs involves all the characters and villains battling over their position in the cast, trying to become the new Main Character so they can have their way (because everything always turns out for the Main Character). Most of it involves upstaging the current protagonist, competing to make the most heroic sacrifice, using their word bubbles to cover up other characters and steal the show, and so on...

Spoiler: ...it is wonderful. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:12:17 pm by Solifuge »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15228 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:09 pm »

That is one of the few times I've seen an American show actually affecting a Japanese one.

The ONLY thing I can think of that did that was the Ninja Turtles anime... which is a continuation of the 80s cartoon! Yeah it isn't like the live action Spiderman where it is completely unrelated... It is actually an outright continuation of the series (and makes April O'Neil into someone extremely competent)

----

I just realized one difference between Anime and Western cartoons and stuff...

Mostly that Western Cartoons tend to involve either a Misfit or an underdog or both (The exception are super hero cartoons mostly)

Anime can actually involve talented people who start off talented or battles between geniuses without being anti-heroes.

I came to this realization when I compared Disney Mulan and Chinese Mulan. Chinese Mulan is the master of the spear, Disney Mulan is the underdog.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:27:10 pm by Neonivek »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15229 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:05 pm »

Because the American concept of a talented person is a one trick pony. The popular jock, the super smart nerd, the beautiful school diva but no smart, athletic and beautiful person that everyone looks up too. It's a difference in ideal.

The western motivation is overcoming a superior foe. Drama from external conflict.
The eastern motivation is overcoming the flaws of the self. Drama from inner conflicts.

In theory at least. In practice, both are wish fulfillment.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15230 on: September 21, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »

UQ Holder chapter 5... -_-

Yeah, Akamatsu's going to be playing with tropes hardcore, isn't he? In the most have-your-cake-and-eat-it way possible.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15231 on: September 21, 2013, 07:03:11 pm »

Just got caught up on Yumekui Merry. It's pretty good and I'm glad I started to read on of my favorites again.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #15232 on: September 21, 2013, 07:30:37 pm »

Yeah, Akamatsu's going to be playing with tropes hardcore, isn't he? In the most have-your-cake-and-eat-it way possible.

/fanboy squeal of Akamatsu's prowess.

No, but seriously. The whole Kuroumaru situation just reminds me of Egoraptor's Legend of Awesome. I don't think the reveal is going to happen any time soon, though.

Can't wait for the beach episode where they try to get the future Ayanami Expy of the group to prank high schoolers in order for her to feel more included in the group. This will be interrupted by Martian robots with drills.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:36:33 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15233 on: September 22, 2013, 12:01:52 am »

/fanboy squeal of Akamatsu's prowess.

No, but seriously. The whole Kuroumaru situation just reminds me of Egoraptor's Legend of Awesome. I don't think the reveal is going to happen any time soon, though.

Can't wait for the beach episode where they try to get the future Ayanami Expy of the group to prank high schoolers in order for her to feel more included in the group. This will be interrupted by Martian robots with drills.

Funnily enough, that's pretty much exactly what I predicted as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15234 on: September 22, 2013, 12:03:56 am »

Same here.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15235 on: September 23, 2013, 05:59:51 am »

Spoiler: Attack on Titan (click to show/hide)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #15236 on: September 23, 2013, 02:11:44 pm »

Leafsnail: Agreed.

On the topic of AoT does anyone know if it's true that the next will be the last of the season?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15237 on: September 23, 2013, 02:56:03 pm »

On the topic of AoT does anyone know if it's true that the next will be the last of the season?
Yes.

(it will probably get another season, just guessing)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15238 on: September 23, 2013, 04:40:38 pm »

Yes.

(it will probably get another season, just guessing)
I'd figure the next season, if any would be different-ish from the manga.  May or may not be a bad thing, depending if it'll go the way of Claymore or FMA. 

The manga is not too far into the next arc and has been slow going on the updates.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #15239 on: September 23, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »

Does anyone know if its now a business model in the anime industry to make an adaptation with the intent of outpacing the manga, make up its own ending, wait for the manga to finish and then make another adaptation true to the manga to get double the monies? I know it happens, I'm just wondering if they are starting to do it intentionally or not. I figure with FMA it was unintentional, but since it worked out so well I'm worried that will be the route the industry takes.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 2193