Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077139 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14970 on: September 02, 2013, 08:53:28 pm »

Saturn, Uranus, Moon, and Jupiter, I think.

I know that's like half of them, but it's hard to pick.  x3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14971 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:06 pm »

The fiancee tried to make me watch Sailor Moon (the original english dub she insisted, for added absurdity). I could see it having some merits, it just didn't appeal to me at all >.>
... hrm. Original english dub, as in... the version the TV got in the states?

Didn't that kinda' get ruthlessly slaughtered during localization? I've never actually gotten around to watching the unbutchered version, so I couldn't say with any confidence how bad the transition was. Y'might have better luck with a different version.

Couldn't really take a stance re: favorites, though. Too much fanfiction, too long since seeing the original (and never having actually seen the original). Preferences shift depending on particular instance of the character, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14972 on: September 02, 2013, 09:05:19 pm »

Isn't there a remake coming out later this year?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14973 on: September 02, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »

The fiancee tried to make me watch Sailor Moon (the original english dub she insisted, for added absurdity). I could see it having some merits, it just didn't appeal to me at all >.>

Didn't that kinda' get ruthlessly slaughtered during localization? I've never actually gotten around to watching the unbutchered version, so I couldn't say with any confidence how bad the transition was. Y'might have better luck with a different version.

Brutally. They lost something like a quarter of the episodes, IIRC, some for incredibly silly things. They also added those little morality snippets at the end of each episode. Oh, and they turned female friends/lovers (Uranus and Neptune) into female cousins/lovers because apparently by the wonky moral code U.S. television had back then incestuous lesbians were better than lesbians.  ::)

I'll refrain from complaining about them Americanizing things like the names or changing "dumpling-head" to "meatball-head", because apparently Western audiences don't know what dumplings are.

Oh, and another thing the show got quite right? Cat behavior.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14974 on: September 02, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »

Isn't there a remake coming out later this year?

That it is, streaming online as of this Winter, I believe. I'm interested to see what they do with it! Unless you count Inspector Gadget, or the occasional rerun of Speed Racer, that was my introduction to Anime, and was probably the first time I got to say "So what if it's a 'girly show', it's still awesome!" back in elementary school or whatever.

I never liked Sailor Moon or Venus; I was torn between Mercury (because she talked so flipping proper all the time and it was hella adorable) and Jupiter (because she was super strong, down-to-earth, and full of stubborn self-reliance).

My favorite characters were probably the talking magic space cats, though. Because they were talking magic space cats, and I was, like, 10 years old.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #14975 on: September 02, 2013, 10:43:11 pm »

The original is mostly just bleak, bland, and repetitive, whereas the dub is more cheerful and (unintentionally) amusing. The manga is rather bad, too, but like the dubbed anime it falls more into the "amusing" category; it features magnificently awful art in places.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14976 on: September 02, 2013, 11:09:31 pm »

That it is, streaming online as of this Winter, I believe. I'm interested to see what they do with it! Unless you count Inspector Gadget, or the occasional rerun of Speed Racer, that was my introduction to Anime, and was probably the first time I got to say "So what if it's a 'girly show', it's still awesome!" back in elementary school or whatever.
I can't remember which I saw first, but I remember seeing it and the original Dragonball on some station really early in the morning when I was young. Though I was never able to follow either of them, since I think it was on on weekdays and I had to get ready for school at the time and was really bad at getting up early (still am).

Also, this talk of dubs is making me think that I should watch though Dragonball dubbed after I've gone through it subbed to see what's been changed (I actually started out watching it dubbed, but switched to subs because Hulu only had dubs up to like episode 5 at the time, and, checking it, they still only have it up to episode 13).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14977 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:20 pm »

I can't remember which I saw first, but I remember seeing it and the original Dragonball on some station really early in the morning when I was young. Though I was never able to follow either of them, since I think it was on on weekdays and I had to get ready for school at the time and was really bad at getting up early (still am).

Also, this talk of dubs is making me think that I should watch though Dragonball dubbed after I've gone through it subbed to see what's been changed (I actually started out watching it dubbed, but switched to subs because Hulu only had dubs up to like episode 5 at the time, and, checking it, they still only have it up to episode 13).
you should hear from the original  canadian cast

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14978 on: September 02, 2013, 11:23:44 pm »

Also, this talk of dubs is making me think that I should watch though Dragonball dubbed after I've gone through it subbed
you should hear from the original canadian cast

"Power pole, extend, eh?"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14979 on: September 02, 2013, 11:29:50 pm »

The original is mostly just bleak, bland, and repetitive, whereas the dub is more cheerful and (unintentionally) amusing. The manga is rather bad, too, but like the dubbed anime it falls more into the "amusing" category; it features magnificently awful art in places.
I recall hearing the manga art compared to fashion design sketches, which is a rather interesting way to read it, if you're going for an interpretive approach. Otherwise, yeah, the manga is bloody awful. The art isn't very good, and the lack of filler makes for a great deal less characterization (which is one thing that the anime got right: making decent filler that built on the characters).

Unrelated: I've been considering watching Eureka 7. I've gotten mixed feedback on it, what do you all think about it?

3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14980 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:59 pm »

The cast mostly falls into character archetypes I dislike, with the exception of two minor characters who get almost no screen time.  Therefore I didn't like it.

I think it's a good show, but if you don't find it enjoyable after the first couple of episodes you probably won't like it.  The tone seems pretty consistent throughout.

EDIT: Yuck, looks like the Levi spinoff manga will be shoujo.  I don't have anything against shoujo as such, but . . . I really was hoping it would be done by the same author, to fill things in.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:51:16 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14981 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:08 am »

Unrelated: I've been considering watching Eureka 7. I've gotten mixed feedback on it, what do you all think about it?
its a meh for me, 7 episodes in the MC is pretty much a punching bag and i almost dropped it until he started thinking. The art is good and story is ok.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14982 on: September 03, 2013, 08:44:40 am »

+1 to the "meh" on Eureka 7. Decent watch, but not exactly something i would recommend.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14983 on: September 03, 2013, 08:58:53 am »

Eesh, yeah. I just watched the first two episodes and pretty much every character is unlikable. :/

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14984 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:02 am »

+1 to the "meh" on Eureka 7. Decent watch, but not exactly something i would recommend.

Unfortunately Eureka 7 is a sleeper, as in it "gets good" later.

Unfortunately by the time it gets interesting you have long since stopped caring.
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 2193