Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077514 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14835 on: August 27, 2013, 11:01:18 pm »

Right.  Court systems, crime, etc.--yes, absolutely.  Prison--no.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14836 on: August 27, 2013, 11:09:51 pm »

I love Desert Punk so much. The only part I don't like is the fanservice..

My dream game since I was little was always an open-world desert game where you could just chill out, go places, see and fight huge stuff, steal things, hurt people, etc.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14837 on: August 27, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »

Date A Live was most definitely nothing like anything I thought it was going in, but I didn't really read any descriptions or anything other than the bio of one character. It wasn't bad or anything, just not what I expected. (Also, what the heck with the mood change, girl? That goes far beyond normal tsundere parameters.)

It kind of reminds me of the few episodes of Those Who Hunt Elves that I've seen. Geez, just thinking about that show makes me wince a tiny bit, though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:17:28 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14838 on: August 27, 2013, 11:26:39 pm »

My dream game since I was little was always an open-world desert game where you could just chill out, go places, see and fight huge stuff, steal things, hurt people, etc.
Oh man, I know how that feels. I kept wanting to like Desert Punk, but every time it started growing on me it would go back to the fanservice. Especially the really creepy wife husbandry schtick. Though at least it made it even more entertaining to see the titular character be repeatedly humiliated when he had it coming. Still worth a read, though, if you just skim those parts. In a sense it's even sort of stereotype-breaking, because the female characters providing the fanservice are almost always more competent than the rest of the cast. But Kanta's plan for raising Kosuna is still so fucking creepy, even more so than the incident with the hidden bunker captivity thing. Good grief, he's such a scuzzy letch that I don't think I ever felt a trace of sympathy for him.

The world itself is pretty damned cool, though. Sort of like Fallout of the North Star.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14839 on: August 27, 2013, 11:30:41 pm »

Oh man, I know how that feels. I kept wanting to like Desert Punk, but every time it started growing on me it would go back to the fanservice. Especially the really creepy wife husbandry schtick. Though at least it made it even more entertaining to see the titular character be repeatedly humiliated when he had it coming. Still worth a read, though, if you just skim those parts. In a sense it's even sort of stereotype-breaking, because the female characters providing the fanservice are almost always more competent than the rest of the cast. But Kanta's plan for raising Kosuna is still so fucking creepy, even more so than the incident with the hidden bunker captivity thing. Good grief, he's such a scuzzy letch that I don't think I ever felt a trace of sympathy for him.

The world itself is pretty damned cool, though. Sort of like Fallout of the North Star.
But the whole buildup, this whole scummy exterior with a chewy honourable inside throughout the whole thing, that instinctive need to believe that he's really a good person at heart.. absolutely fucking makes that end. GOOD LORD THE ENDING. I GET CHILLS JUST REMEMBERING IT.

Setting is super cool as all hell.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14840 on: August 28, 2013, 12:33:34 am »

What implied sex? That was like the one thing he didn't put in.

Sort of.

Lets just say it sort of enters the same arena as the Dorothy battle in Marchen Awakens romance. It isn't Tentacle rape, but you are meant to treat it like such.

He speaks of one of the OVAs, which is just more "lololololol look how many different ways I can screw with this universe I made and people will still enjoy it" by Akamatsu. Also, wasn't implied. I saw that OVA scene, and even though it was outrageous, it was also no rape. Obviously it was meant to make the audience think of it like tentacle rape, but there was no rape in actuality or ever implied by the scene. That scene was "Hey, here's a shoutout to all you perverts into this thing, and I can get away with it because I can."
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14841 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47:35 am »

I am thinking of getting an anime boxset sometime in the next month. I haven't decided on whether I should get one I've seen already thanks to fansubs or one that I haven't seen but might like because it's part of a genre I like. I'm inclined to go with one I've seen before thanks to fansubs and in particular one that's under $20.

Date A Live was most definitely nothing like anything I thought it was going in, but I didn't really read any descriptions or anything other than the bio of one character. It wasn't bad or anything, just not what I expected. (Also, what the heck with the mood change, girl? That goes far beyond normal tsundere parameters.)

It kind of reminds me of the few episodes of Those Who Hunt Elves that I've seen. Geez, just thinking about that show makes me wince a tiny bit, though.

Date A Live looks like an anime I wouldn't want to watch personally. Then again the last new anime I watched, and by new I mean new enough to be watched in fansubs while being released, was Robotics;Notes earlier this year. Most of what has come out since then has had some kind of content which put me off from wanting to watch it.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14842 on: August 28, 2013, 12:48:22 am »

I am thinking of getting an anime boxset sometime in the next month. I haven't decided on whether I should get one I've seen already thanks to fansubs or one that I haven't seen but might like because it's part of a genre I like. I'm inclined to go with one I've seen before thanks to fansubs and in particular one that's under $20.

Princess Tutu~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14843 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:12 am »

Princess Tutu~

That's not one I've seen nor one I'd be inclined to get. I'm not big on magical girl anime for one and for another I'm kind of in the mood for either something yuri-themed or something with a NEET protagonist or cast of NEET characters, doubly so if it's one of the ones I've seen before.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14844 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:57 am »

Oh, hm--I thought you would enjoy Ahiru, she's a nice girl.  Have you seen Zetsubou-Sensei?  I don't think it's been licensed, but you might like it.  Haibane Renmei has some cute shoujo ai elements.

(Unfortunately, I don't think I've read or seen anything out of doujinshi that was actual yuri)

How about Welcome to the NHK, by the way?  Anyone... ?  I keep on thinking about this one and forgetting about it.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14845 on: August 28, 2013, 01:49:46 am »

Oh, hm--I thought you would enjoy Ahiru, she's a nice girl.  Have you seen Zetsubou-Sensei?  I don't think it's been licensed, but you might like it.  Haibane Renmei has some cute shoujo ai elements.

(Unfortunately, I don't think I've read or seen anything out of doujinshi that was actual yuri)

How about Welcome to the NHK, by the way?  Anyone... ?  I keep on thinking about this one and forgetting about it.

I watched Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei via fansubs and found myself experiencing mixed feelings while watching it. Personally the part of it I liked and found memorable was the opening theme song, which is one I am kind of partial to if not fond of. Outside of that it's not one I would want to own.

Now I looked up some reviews and articles on both Princess Tutu and Haibane Renmei. Princess Tutu doesn't sound like an anime I would enjoy. I'm not big on magical girl anime and when it comes to anime I'd rather have something josei than shoujo any day of the week as experienced by my enjoyment of Honey and Clover and Usagi Drop. However I'm more interested in seinen anime and only enjoy josei anime on occasion.

As for Haibane Renmei I'm kind of experiencing mixed feelings on wanting to watch it and worrying that if I watch it I'm going to be about as confused and disturbed as when I watched another one of Yoshitoshi ABe's other works, Serial Experiments Lain. You can put me down for that one as me perhaps watching it when I'm in the right kind of mood for it.

Speaking of that however I actually want to watch Welcome to the NHK, which is also by Yoshitoshi ABe and on Amazon.com is available for under $20. It's one of the anime I had in mind when I started thinking about maybe making a purchase of some kind, the others being Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl and Strawberry Panic.

Now Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl is a nice little yuri anime that while being made with a male audience in mind is in my opinion beautiful, heartfelt and tasteful. I've seen it before and quite personally I think it's pretty good. If you want a little synopsis about what said anime is about...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strawberry Panic on the other hand is a yuri anime based off of a series of light novels that I only know of because a 4chan /gif/ video set to the tune of "Bat Country" by Avenged Sevenfold featured a clip from it that I thought was funny. I'm thinking of getting it largely because the plot sounds interesting and because the clip kind of sold me on the anime itself.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14846 on: August 28, 2013, 01:53:21 am »

No man, Haibane Renmei has some parts that aren't really straightforward, but it's nothing like Lain.  I didn't understand any part of Lain at all.

Hmmm, okay.  Josei and Seinen.  I'll keep that in mind.

Waaait, have you seen Nodame Cantabile?  The drama is one of my favorite things.  It's not really about NEETs, but it's really sweet.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14847 on: August 28, 2013, 02:09:50 am »

No man, Haibane Renmei has some parts that aren't really straightforward, but it's nothing like Lain.  I didn't understand any part of Lain at all.

Hmmm, okay.  Josei and Seinen.  I'll keep that in mind.

Waaait, have you seen Nodame Cantabile?  The drama is one of my favorite things.  It's not really about NEETs, but it's really sweet.

I'll keep what you said about Haibane Renmei in mind. I'm still wary about watching it but I did say maybe if I was in the right mood to do so. If all goes according to plan I may be able to check it out sometime.

As for Nodame Cantabile it doesn't really sound like my cup of tea. I mean I've checked out the synopsis and looked into the reviews and it just doesn't sound like one I would really enjoy. A lot of those art-themed anime that are out there are kind of hit or miss for me - I like Honey and Clover for example, I'm having mixed feelings about Hidamari Sketch, and K-On is one particular anime I dropped halfway through the first season. I like visual art-themed more than auditory art-themed anime, but then again I'm a very visual-oriented and detail-oriented person so it's kind of a given.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14848 on: August 28, 2013, 09:54:12 am »

So, watching the Macross movie with the buddies, at the end one of them walks up to me and says the movie is basically K-On in space...... ??O_o??

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14849 on: August 28, 2013, 05:38:14 pm »

okay new question from anime noob what about an anime about terroist and the heroes who try to stop them. {dear god i hope the NSA dosen't go after me for asking that}.
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 2193