Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077787 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14745 on: August 25, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »

Can anyone show me an anime about full-fledged war going on {medieval setting preferably and ill accept a bit of magic}. You know with 2 sides trowing each other around to get an advantage and the protagonist fights on one side against the antagonist?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14746 on: August 25, 2013, 08:34:29 pm »

Can anyone show me an anime about full-fledged war going on {medieval setting preferably and ill accept a bit of magic}. You know with 2 sides trowing each other around to get an advantage and the protagonist fights on one side against the antagonist?

Hetalia

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: August 25, 2013, 08:35:52 pm »

Amane should hopefully be at least entertaining, I hope.
Its most depressing route of them all, I've had to take breaks each 30-40 minutes to finish Angelic Howl in one sitting, not something I've expected after all that happy comedy in common route and silly, but still happy Sacchi route.
You had to take breaks?  I think the only time I ever had to stop playing a VN because I was too upset was in MLA, and you all know what I'm referring too if you've played MLA.

Anyway, should be starting Sachi soon.  (I actually like Sachi as a character so that's new...)

So far my opinion is Makina > Yumiko > Michiru.  For the writing/story-telling in the routes, not the characters themselves.

EDIT:
I have to agree though.  Grisaia and Rewrite both have really long common routes that are just complete nonsense and gags.  And then suddenly all the heroine routes get really dead fucking serious and dramatic.  I like that transition quite a bit.

I've been meaning to get into the Visual Novel scene for quite some time, but haven't really done it yet for reasons unknown to the world. What is this MLA you speak of? All a Google found me was this one? (Which could be it.) I've probably asked this before, but any other VN suggestions? I've only played a few small Ren'Py ones made by English-speakers (including Katawa Shoujo, which was pretty great, in my humble opinion) so far...also I probably have asked this before, I forget. :S (Also, I have Windows now, so these things will work! Yay!)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14748 on: August 25, 2013, 08:36:18 pm »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes; Berserk

e: garzey's wing

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14749 on: August 25, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes; Berserk

e: garzai's wing, dog days

Ooh, I've got exactly the one for you.  Record of Lodoss War (not Chronicles of the Heroic Knight).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14750 on: August 25, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »

Yeah I'll probably watch that when I eventually finish watching the LotGH prequels.  And I haven't even really started on Berserk yet somehow.

By the way, 3man, if you do watch Garzey's Wing it needs to be the English dub.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14751 on: August 25, 2013, 08:54:05 pm »

I has a Manga, I posted this a while ago...

Ares - http://mangafox.me/manga/ares/

Site Blurb -
The story takes place in an era similar to that of ancient Rome in a country called Cronos. It follows a group known as the Temple Mercenaries. In particular, the manhwa is about Ares, Michael and Baroona, three young warriors with mysterious pasts and surpassing skills...

The manhwa is notable for its subtle use of anachronistic elements (Ares' shoes are similar to that of classic Adidas), as well as very dynamic and fluid action sequences.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »

watching berserk now hopefully when i finish berserk ill watch gar something wing =]

someone just ruined the plot behind berserk and now i just can't watch it... going over to record of the loldross war.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:15:45 pm by 3man75 »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: August 25, 2013, 09:17:34 pm »

Good--it's a little bit old and hokey, but it is seriously exactly what you asked for.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14754 on: August 25, 2013, 09:17:54 pm »

Also from my understanding the worst and most unlikable characters in Grisaia (Makina and Amane) have the best routes...
You finished Makina's route and still don't like her?
First half of her route (before shit got serious) is best part of game, she's so adorable there with all these military pranks.
Worst character for me is Michiru, only saving grace was Michiru-2, but writer fscked up even that.
No I don't like Makina.  I thought the military antics ranged from silly to boring.  (GET THAT ASS DOWN was kind of funny, but the air-soft sniping was like why are we doing this).  I generally liked the route more because Yuuji got a lot of characterization and there was a ton of silly Ichigaya business.  Like, I genuinely like Yuuji at this point probably.

I don't really care for Michiru either way.  I thought her route would be more interesting, it's okay but not as good as Yumiko's even.  Michiru-2 probably got more characterization than her but they're all generics!!

Yumiko is the anti-social calm type that usually isn't bothersome.  I am indifferent.  I liked Michiaki a lot though, he was written really well.

Sachi is probably the best girl, she gets the least amount of love in the common route I would say, and her character is definitely one of the more interesting ones, mental problems-wise.  Though I guess her route might not be as good as I hope.

Amane is annoying.  She's like instead of the loli little sister wet dream that is Makina, she is the big-breasted older sister wet dream that I really don't care about!  And that's about it.  There's not too much else to her character so far.  (though I'm quite sure her VA is the same one who does Sumika in MuvLuv, though I am guessing)

(what am I even talking about)

@quinnr:
Yes MLA is MuvLuv Alternative.  Don't play it first though, unless you don't care...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: August 25, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »

@quinnr:
Yes MLA is MuvLuv Alternative.  Don't play it first though, unless you don't care...
First is Muv-Luv Extra, right?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14756 on: August 25, 2013, 09:24:52 pm »

@quinnr:
Oh, yeeeessss it is.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14757 on: August 25, 2013, 09:30:01 pm »

@quinnr:
Oh, yeeeessss it is.

And with a response like that how could I not go try it out? D:

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14758 on: August 25, 2013, 09:32:43 pm »

Hetalia

...*baps Neo with a newspaper for being trolly* :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14759 on: August 25, 2013, 10:02:32 pm »

I've been meaning to get into the Visual Novel scene for quite some time, but haven't really done it yet for reasons unknown to the world. What is this MLA you speak of? All a Google found me was this one? (Which could be it.) I've probably asked this before, but any other VN suggestions? I've only played a few small Ren'Py ones made by English-speakers (including Katawa Shoujo, which was pretty great, in my humble opinion) so far...also I probably have asked this before, I forget. :S (Also, I have Windows now, so these things will work! Yay!)
MLA is one of best VNs in existence, but together with MLE and MLU its VERY long (up to 100 hours of reading), and quality differs a lot between games. MLE (Muv-Luv Extra, which is bundled together with Muv-Luv Unlimited in a single game "Muv-Luv") starts as generic romcom in school setting, and then it gradually becomes more and more epic.
Although if you didn't play any jap romcoms before, MLE shouldn't be too painful for you, and you probably would even enjoy it.

Recently released in English Grisaia should be good choice as well, I've rated it 9/10 myself.

Otherwise, just look at top games on VNDB and choose any that has tags/descriptions you find interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 2193