Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077912 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14730 on: August 24, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »

When it comes to mecha I got on well with the first two Patlabor films. They're an at least mildly humorous drama about a Tokyo police division who pilot mecha. When I watched it with some friends they complained that there was too much talking so your mileage may vary.

The only anime that hit a point where I thought there was just WAAAAAY too much talking was .Hack

I'd see what you are talking about but my soul was destroyed recently by anime thanks to the "No Whammies" button.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14731 on: August 24, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »

I'd see what you are talking about but my soul was destroyed recently by anime thanks to the "No Whammies" button.
The what? Google hasn't helped.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14732 on: August 24, 2013, 07:55:01 pm »

The what? Google hasn't helped.

It is in the spoiler... or rather...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or rather "No whammies" means "Nothing bad happen!" so a no Whammies button would be a button that essentially makes nothing bad happen.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:42:00 am by Neonivek »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14733 on: August 24, 2013, 09:38:03 pm »

Amane should hopefully be at least entertaining, I hope.
Its most depressing route of them all, I've had to take breaks each 30-40 minutes to finish Angelic Howl in one sitting, not something I've expected after all that happy comedy in common route and silly, but still happy Sacchi route.
You had to take breaks?  I think the only time I ever had to stop playing a VN because I was too upset was in MLA, and you all know what I'm referring too if you've played MLA.

Anyway, should be starting Sachi soon.  (I actually like Sachi as a character so that's new...)

So far my opinion is Makina > Yumiko > Michiru.  For the writing/story-telling in the routes, not the characters themselves.

EDIT:
I have to agree though.  Grisaia and Rewrite both have really long common routes that are just complete nonsense and gags.  And then suddenly all the heroine routes get really dead fucking serious and dramatic.  I like that transition quite a bit.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:41:03 pm by ToonyMan »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14734 on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:41 pm »

The only anime that hit a point where I thought there was just WAAAAAY too much talking was .Hack

That was because the only freaking thing about it was the talking. "Hey, you know what'd be awesome? This super cool MMO where people wear VR headsets and it's super detailed and stuff, and then some really weird stuff happens! Now, let's take that premise and completely throw it to the side in favor of DIALOGUE, because with a premise like that all people really care about are character relationships! Not the scary/disturbing realization of the horror of what's going on, nor the actual MMO game itself, or really the world, but character relationships! And let's define those relationships by said dialogue, and define said dialogue by basically everyone repeating the same thing to each other over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again! People love lack of character development in an anime about character relationships disguised as an anime about the rise of electronics influence on our lives disguised as an anime about people playing an MMO!"

Even so, I still kind of liked .hack/sign. Heck, I watched all of the .hack/ series. I guess I just didn't get it get to me, but still, the flaws are rather obvious.

Watched code gease and was throughly pleased with the ending. An damn how old is macross by the way?

Wow... do you mean you like just saw it or you had already seen it? Because that's quick. Anyway, yeah, it has my single most favorite ending of any anime. It's just perfect, IMO.

You may also like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime. It's futuristic, has a good deal of mechs (though that's not the focus and they are usually AI-controlled), has some really neat stuff, and the thing is that it's very well executed. It's up there in the list of greatest animes ever made simply due to its execution. It's got a good dub as well, IMO.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14735 on: August 24, 2013, 10:48:49 pm »

Gundam you say?

GUDNAM ESS DEE

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #14736 on: August 24, 2013, 11:09:46 pm »

Hey guys I think I found macross frontier on animefreaktv/something and it looks legit but I'm on my phone so I can't confirm its an actual stream. Just thought you fellows should know. Also is TMNT the one by nick considered anime?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14737 on: August 24, 2013, 11:36:10 pm »

Watamote is so awful and hilarious and self-aware oh my god

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: August 25, 2013, 02:29:45 am »

Watamote is so awful and hilarious and self-aware oh my god
I watched Watamote yesterday. Stopped because of the super awkward moments, like the time with the duckface. Still a great show, though.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14739 on: August 25, 2013, 03:13:48 am »

Hi again!

Managed to get through 2/3 of Tsukihime this week, which is not bad. A bit slow but I have been playing other stuff: I intended to focus on Grisaia (the discussion convinced me). Soundtrack was nice enough.
I didn't like the way they sexualised the little girl character (Makina?), but eh Japan, right?. I should be used to that sort of thing by now; The comedy was a bit meeh most of the time, but some of it was cute.

Also, not sure if I am missing something (ala steins;gate) but I haven't run into a choice yet. Right now I am maybe 45mins into the game -- seemed a bit odd.

Tsukihime was interesting. Somehow, the branching paths in this seemed more... fluid? than in other works. Though, that might just be because I am doing it without a guide this time, and cannot definitively say when I am in 'X's route'.
Anyway, I have yet to do Akiha and Ciel route wise (I managed to do the 'final'/Kohaku route before finishing the others... If it is going to wrap everything else up then block it until I finish the others dammit! :P).
Trying to get into Ciel's route was hard, since Arcueid kept muscling in (the way Shiki reflects on how he can't seem to leave her alone is hilarious, when you are actively trying to get away from her yourself).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:16:38 am by Carnwennan »

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14740 on: August 25, 2013, 05:42:47 am »

You had to take breaks?  I think the only time I ever had to stop playing a VN because I was too upset was in MLA, and you all know what I'm referring too if you've played MLA.
I believe I got CHOMP and aftermatch w/out breaks, but it was shorter than Angelic Howl and not as exhausting.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14741 on: August 25, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »

Gundam you say?

GUDNAM ESS DEE

yes i like the sd gundams
SD GUNDAM oh man i remember watching that, i thought i was on the wrong channel.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14742 on: August 25, 2013, 04:06:56 pm »

Also is TMNT the one by nick considered anime?
No.  However, there is actually an anime version of TMNT (Mutant Turtles - Anthology of Superman Legends).  They transform into robots.

Tsukihime was interesting. Somehow, the branching paths in this seemed more... fluid? than in other works. Though, that might just be because I am doing it without a guide this time, and cannot definitively say when I am in 'X's route'.
Yeah.  It's kindof cool to have the feeling that you're choosing your own adventure the first time, but from then on it gets annoying trying to work out which options you're meant to pick.  The 07th Expansion model, which is basically just a different but fixed route each time, sortof makes sense.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14743 on: August 25, 2013, 04:19:19 pm »

Anyway, I have yet to do Akiha and Ciel route wise (I managed to do the 'final'/Kohaku route before finishing the others... If it is going to wrap everything else up then block it until I finish the others dammit! :P).
Trying to get into Ciel's route was hard, since Arcueid kept muscling in (the way Shiki reflects on how he can't seem to leave her alone is hilarious, when you are actively trying to get away from her yourself).
You did Kohaku before Akiha and Hisui??  Shuuuuuuun  I still don't see how people get this trouble.  I did the routes in the right order without too much difficulty, the difficult part was getting all the bad ends since they aren't tracked like in F/sn.

I believe I got CHOMP and aftermatch w/out breaks, but it was shorter than Angelic Howl and not as exhausting.
You stoic bastard.  This Angelic Howl better be like...something.

EDIT:
Also from my understanding the worst and most unlikable characters in Grisaia (Makina and Amane) have the best routes...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14744 on: August 25, 2013, 08:20:11 pm »

Also from my understanding the worst and most unlikable characters in Grisaia (Makina and Amane) have the best routes...
You finished Makina's route and still don't like her?
First half of her route (before shit got serious) is best part of game, she's so adorable there with all these military pranks.
Worst character for me is Michiru, only saving grace was Michiru-2, but writer fscked up even that.
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 2193