Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077867 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14685 on: August 22, 2013, 11:29:56 pm »

But...Armin gets better. Okay, so he has terrible self-esteem at first but he really does improve.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:15 pm »

dear goodness you people... A character with poor self-esteem who constantly questions whether or not he could do something even though he accepts help from everyone around him.

THAT is one of the triumvirate of male anime leads.

We have Smug, loser, and idiot.

Note that I am not sure Smug should be in that slot... but it fits.

Get your heads out of good anime and watch some of the drenches like I have and you will see how formulaic it can get.

"Ohhh I am a poor pathetic loser boy who cannot do anything right" "And I am a sweet girl who likes girly things but I constantly go on homicidal rages" "Don't worry as the male protagonist I will protect you and thus this anime will be about preserving your ability to be a girl instead of being a protector" "Ohh how I love you, But now because I actually feel this emotion called love, I have to kill someone" "Don't worry the fact that you are constantly violent will not affect our relationship whatsoever, nor will it affect the metaplot"

What is funny is that I am referring to a specific anime, yet I could be talking about any anime with a loser lead and female lead.

It is this weird undercurrent that I get from a lot of anime that violence is actually the antithesis of being a girl/woman. Like somehow beating up crooks makes you less a woman and that a REAL man would beat up the crooks for the woman so she can preserve her womanliness. Yet anime RARELY outright states it. I understand though that it is mostly a cultural thing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:41:07 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: August 22, 2013, 11:40:09 pm »

Yeah, it's Armin.  I realize he gets better but oh my fucking god put a fucking sock in it

No, seriously, I wish more American characters had low self-esteem.  But I also wish we could have more smart characters with flaws that aren't a. smugness or b. horrible whingeing

"Ohhh I am a poor pathetic loser boy who cannot do anything right" "And I am a sweet girl who likes girly things but I constantly go on homicidal rages" "Don't worry as the male protagonist I will protect you and thus this anime will be about preserving your ability to be a girl instead of being a protector" "Ohh how I love you, But now because I actually feel this emotion called love, I have to kill someone" "Don't worry the fact that you are constantly violent will not affect our relationship whatsoever, nor will it affect the metaplot"

I laughed until I wheezed.  Thank you <3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's episode 19 if you haven't already seen it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: August 22, 2013, 11:56:53 pm »

What is funny is that I am referring to a specific anime, yet I could be talking about any anime with a loser lead and female lead.
Just... I'unno. Kinda' reminds me of Mirai Nikki. Least the female part of it. I'm... I'm way behind on anime watching right now. Or manga reading. Except I think the horrific violence on the part of the female lead actually did mess with stuff in MN, so... dunno.

... incidentally, I'm about six episodes from finishing Gaogaigar* (barring the OAVs and... anything else that might exist). Kinda' itching to keep digging around super robot stuff. Any... any suggestions? Beyond, hrm. Gurran Lagan, I guess sorta' Nadesco (however the blazes it's spelled)? Big-O, G-Gundam... don't think escaflowne counted... or Eva, of course. Seen those. Probably some more. I... can't recall what I've watched over the years :-\

*Ridiculously mediocre in a lot of ways (19-20 episodes before any bloody thing happened, hahahaha), but I've been having a lot of fun making horrifically inappropriate comments throughout the whole thing (especially about en/hyuryu and their hilariously placed extensible things)... and rooting for the bad guys.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:37 pm »

Gundam Seed was actually fairly good.  Have you tried RahXephon?  It's an Eva-alike, but it's got some really awesome twists and stuff of its own, and I personally feel like it's a very, very different show (just want to warn you that a lot of rabid fans argue it's a ripoff).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:06 pm »

A funny and amazing fan-made version of the opening theme of SnK/AoT.

Hold off on watching it until after you've seen Episode 15 for maximum effect. It features Levi!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: August 23, 2013, 12:07:27 am »

Gundam Seed was actually fairly good.  Have you tried RahXephon?  It's an Eva-alike, but it's got some really awesome twists and stuff of its own, and I personally feel like it's a very, very different show (just want to warn you that a lot of rabid fans argue it's a ripoff).
Seed I've seen*... a fair bit of, if not sequentially (and I'm aware of most of the plot/timeline through fanfics, so...). I actually like (some of) the fanfiction** more than I do the actual anime, though, or at least what I've seen of it.

Haven't tried RX, I think. I've heard some middling-decent things about it from semi-trusted sources in the past, but nothing outright bad. Might give it a looksie. That, uh. That's not the (miraculously not explicit, at least the episode or two I struggled through) one with the robots powered by coughorgasmscough***, though, is it? I have (perhaps fortunately) completely forgotten the name of that one.

*Actually, I've seen at least parts of most of the gundam stuff up to the latest couple/more obscure of the series.
**Three million+ word trilogy that's actually fairly readable *flails*
***At least as near as I could tell.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:22 am »

I. . . I don't think so, no.

But in that note, Kojima's Zone of the Enders anime with cockpits is actually quite fun.  I'd totally forgotten about that one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:31 am »

Eh, the first season of Seed was tolerable. It... went downhill from there, to my recollection. Don't get me wrong, it was still a decent ride, albeit a rather narmy one, especially during the

Also, yeah, there were some pretty good Seed fics. Say, have you tried ∀ Gundam? It's a strange concept in a lot of ways, but rather good for all that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: August 23, 2013, 12:11:40 am »

Oh man, I only saw the first season before I flipped my shit and couldn't watch any more.  Emotionally abusive pink-haired girl was just too much for me.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: August 23, 2013, 12:12:36 am »

I still need to find time to watch SEED at some point so I can stop feelings this inexplicable annoyance when I hear about it I think I may actually be suffering hype backlash from it >_>.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:19 am »

Flay drove me absolutely batty. If she bothered you that badly, never, ever watch any more of it. She hits pretty much every negative personality trait possible for a single person, and that's not the worst part of what happens.

I still need to find time to watch SEED at some point so I can stop feelings this inexplicable annoyance when I hear about it I think I may actually be suffering hype backlash from it >_>.
If we're going to be honest, it probably deserves most of the criticism. It's not terrible, but it's got more than a fair share of problems. Watch Gundam 00 instead if you haven't already.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: August 23, 2013, 12:17:44 am »

Also, yeah, there were some pretty good Seed fics. Say, have you tried ∀ Gundam? It's a strange concept in a lot of ways, but rather good for all that.
Turn A...

Haven't actually seen any of the anime or read any of the manga but, well. Fanfiction and more than one round of Super Robot Wars. Picked up on a bit, haha.

As for SEED... really, from what I've picked up of the plot, it just has a lot of people in it that could really benefit from a few solid horse kicks to the brainpan. Unfortunately, that seems to include several of the major protagonists :-\

And saying that... I'm saying that after having been watching Gaogaigar over the course of the last week or so. Which includes a main character that constantly forgets he can fly. And a giant robot that fights aliens with the power of rock and roll. Among other things.
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: August 23, 2013, 12:22:44 am »

Saw 00 years ago, tis what got me into mecha anime. It's actually my second favorite of the Gundam series I've seen. Except for the movie. A Wakening of the Trailblazer why did you have to be the Advent Children of the franchise.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 2193