Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078163 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14625 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »

Eren's freaking broken-legged unarmed mother puts up more of a struggle!

Sidenote: Notice how she kicked her legs as she struggled?

She was lying about having broken legs.
I did notice that, actually. I assume she either lied or somehow managed to kick despite the pain and brokeness.
in the manga she was grabbed waist down then crushed before eaten, they added that to the anime for emotion i guess (im not a fan for the anime)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14626 on: August 21, 2013, 02:10:29 pm »

Not sure if you've had/seen seriously broken bones before, but it's not that you can't move the limb because of pain. You can't move them because the muscles and tendons are connected to bone fragments, and don't have anything solid to move against anymore. Basically, crushed limbs are noodles made out of meat.
Not seriously broken, but I have had broken arms. They could move, but not without extreme pain and thus they moved as little as possible.

-snip-
That does explain how the trainees and wall garrison would fail so badly, but the scouts that we've seen at least have some sort of tactical sense. Sometimes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: August 21, 2013, 02:20:28 pm »

-snip-
That does explain how the trainees and wall garrison would fail so badly, but the scouts that we've seen at least have some sort of tactical sense. Sometimes.
Like I said, the scouts that are still alive have lived long enough to figure it out on their own. That's how it tends to work when you don't train your soldiers well: the lucky ones live long enough to become good at what they do. Or they all die horribly, but hey, you win some and you lose some.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: August 21, 2013, 02:25:29 pm »

The ones we've seen are the rare, highly talented scouts.  The bad or average ones got eaten.  Note that scouts would generally be of a worse standard than the garrison due to the fact that the garrison gets better recruits, and also that a lot of the recon corps will be complete rookies at any given time (due to their high death rate).

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: August 21, 2013, 02:51:53 pm »

Is it considered a spoiler to discussion the translation for the runes that appeared on the cover for one of the uh... I forgot if it was a book cover or a poster or something
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: August 21, 2013, 03:38:44 pm »

As long as you put it under an appropriate spoiler tag (mark it as either anime or manga depending on what it refers to) that should be fine.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14631 on: August 21, 2013, 04:56:32 pm »

Now for an unrelated note: does it bug anyone else how much anime breaks the rule of "show, don't tell"?

I believe that the Japanese, and potentially Eastern Culture in general, does not follow the "show, don't tell" philosophy. I grew up watching anime and reading manga and use the sort of introspective thoughts and explanations you see in those mediums in my writing occasionally, and I've been criticized for it. Personally I see nothing wrong with telling anything as long as you don't botch the actual story you're trying to write. I feel like "show, don't tell" is just a philosophy that was developed because people sucked at telling and it was easier to pull off showing, rather than some universal golden truth.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: August 21, 2013, 05:24:07 pm »

Meh, I'm like 100% convinced that it's just that different things are shown, told, and prioritized, because folks also routinely complain about the flatness of Japanese characters while totally ignoring all of the signs of characterization that are present.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: August 21, 2013, 05:32:49 pm »

Now for an unrelated note: does it bug anyone else how much anime breaks the rule of "show, don't tell"?

I believe that the Japanese, and potentially Eastern Culture in general, does not follow the "show, don't tell" philosophy. I grew up watching anime and reading manga and use the sort of introspective thoughts and explanations you see in those mediums in my writing occasionally, and I've been criticized for it. Personally I see nothing wrong with telling anything as long as you don't botch the actual story you're trying to write. I feel like "show, don't tell" is just a philosophy that was developed because people sucked at telling and it was easier to pull off showing, rather than some universal golden truth.
Less that and more because crappy writers are prone to doing things like writing "So'n'so is a terrible evil and must be stopped!" to explain why the protagonists are fighting so'n'so, which leaves us with basically nothing but the author's word that so'n'so is evil, and a near-total lack of investment. We don't know them from Adam, and we have no reason to care. If you write scenes in which so'n'so does evil things, the audience has reason to believe that so'n'so is evil. Any form of "telling" us about so'n'so's evil that's even mildly effective as a device is probably another way of showing (characters recounting so'n'so's past misdeeds, so'n'so having a conversation that reveals their twisted, evil ways of thinking, etc.)

In other words, the "telling" referred to in that concept is when someone writes that something is so without any context, background, or in-universe proof. In a sense it's like the old morality play habit of naming characters after what they represent, e.g. a character with imbalanced humours named Mal-[something], and is almost always going to be a less effective style than either simply showing what you intend to convey through the action, or having the telling done in-universe by a character or characters who can provide exposition and explanation for whatever is being told.

Meh, I'm like 100% convinced that it's just that different things are shown, told, and prioritized, because folks also routinely complain about the flatness of Japanese characters while totally ignoring all of the signs of characterization that are present.
This is what I've gradually gravitated toward with Asian media. The cultural norms are very different, and if you approach a work with your mind solely rooted in Western archetypes and ideals, you're going to miss quite a bit. Granted, I'm no expert, but simply trying to see things different ways has made a fairly substantial difference in my experiences with anime and manga.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:34 pm »

I think you guys are a little confused. When I talk about "show, don't tell", I'm not referring to characterization or foreshadowing or other things that are likely to be expressed differently in other cultures. I mean that the audience is being told that things are happening, which never show up on screen or even contradict what we're shown.

Take, for example, Rebuild of Evangelion. When the first (on-screen, not first in-universe) Angel attacks, we're told about how all the defensive units are being wiped out in the battle to stop the Angel.
Quote from: After an extended scene showing rocket launchers, tanks, other helicopters, and even bombers attacking the stationary Angel, and showing it to be mostly unharmed
Angry General: "What the hell?! Why's it still standing?!"
Calm General: "The tank battalion's been wiped out. That thing's just striding over our defenses like they're not even there."
Plausible, except that the Angel in question is only shown taking out a single helicopter on-screen, using its energy blade arm to make it crash and then stepping on the wreck. At all other times, the Angel is simply shown to be standing there and tanking hits.

There's an even more egregious example in the second film, when (spoiler)Angel-infected!Unit 03 is getting shot at by the military. These things have no ranged weaponry of any kind, and the Eva is simply walking forward through the barrage. And yet you can hear panicked chatter over the radio about how the defenses are getting ripped apart and that any surviving units should pull back.

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: August 21, 2013, 06:25:40 pm »

Some of the "never show up on screen" is to ground us in the characters we're supposed to empathize with, and their incomplete information.  But a lot of it is budgetary constraints...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: August 21, 2013, 06:40:14 pm »

Take, for example, Rebuild of Evangelion. When the first (on-screen, not first in-universe) Angel attacks, we're told about how all the defensive units are being wiped out in the battle to stop the Angel.
This is a weird criticism.  If you're in a military command centre you'd expect to hear reports of what's happening.  But yeah if it's NGE it's probably because Gainax are very poor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: August 21, 2013, 06:43:17 pm »

This is a weird criticism.  If you're in a military command centre you'd expect to hear reports of what's happening.  But yeah if it's NGE it's probably because Gainax are very poor.
It isn't that weird if you read the rest of his post. The issue wasn't that there were reports on what was happening, but that those reports were at odds with other things being shown on-screen. Though as you said, that's likely because it's Gainax.

3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: August 21, 2013, 06:57:12 pm »

mmmm and the issues Attack On Titan's animation team/budget start to show after a while.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:22 pm »

Man, even the first episode has stills with SFX over it.  It's clear that their budget has some issues.

Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 2193