Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078130 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14610 on: August 21, 2013, 02:41:45 am »

@Toonyman: there are TWO sequels of Grisaia, the problem being that they are both yet to be translated.
one is 'labyrinth' which has Yuji's past AND 'after-story' for the routes. The last one instead is..can't recall it, but they are both out in japan...
If only I knew how to read Japanese...argh!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: August 21, 2013, 03:11:15 am »

the problem being that they are both yet to be translated.
Well, koestl said that it shouldn't take too long for him to tl them and its reasonable to expect release of at least one of them within year.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14612 on: August 21, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

Accidentally marathoned my way through Episode 6 of Shingeki no Kyojin last night. I did not expect that. Then I REALLY did not expect what followed. Then I was all like "You can't do that... it completely goes against the Plot Forumla!"

Well done, show. Well done.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: August 21, 2013, 01:07:29 pm »

EDIT:
I really wouldn't mind if they continued Makina's Good End in some way.  I can't believe it ends just like that.
Well, there's afterstory in Meikyuu.
Oh, yay.

@Toonyman: there are TWO sequels of Grisaia, the problem being that they are both yet to be translated.
one is 'labyrinth' which has Yuji's past AND 'after-story' for the routes. The last one instead is..can't recall it, but they are both out in japan...
If only I knew how to read Japanese...argh!
I knew there were sequels.  I wouldn't know what they covered though.  I assumed they continued just one of the routes linearly or something.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: August 21, 2013, 01:10:37 pm »

Preparing for Macross night for saturday, going to start with the first series movie (Do You Remember Love?), Macross Plus the movie,and then start into Macross 7 tv series. Keep Macross Frontier on the backburner incase we need something more recent.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: August 21, 2013, 01:11:53 pm »

Accidentally marathoned my way through Episode 6 of Shingeki no Kyojin last night. I did not expect that. Then I REALLY did not expect what followed. Then I was all like "You can't do that... it completely goes against the Plot Forumla!"

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

Now for an unrelated note: does it bug anyone else how much anime breaks the rule of "show, don't tell"? Let's take SnK/AoT for an example. Remember that prologue action sequence? Two dozen elite scouts go up against a single Titan, at night when they're supposed to be slow and sluggish. It barely even seems to take notice of the scouts or horses. The last moment we see of the battle, one of the scouts is perfectly set up and moving in for the kill.

Then next we see them, they took 80% casualties? Utterly failed to kill it? What, did they all throw themselves under the titan's feet? We never see what the fuck happened, but it just makes them look utterly incompetent.

Another example, further in the series and thus spoilered:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These two examples, along with a dozen other cases of horrific tactical thinking, makes it seem like humans are being wiped out due to their own stupidity rather than any real threat the titans represent. Maybe the manga is different.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »

Or it underlines that they're throwing themselves at suicide missions (as is supported in dialogue), and we're supposed to ask what it means for Eren to want that so badly, and why this is a societally supported institution.  Understanding that humanity is in grave danger meshes well with the data we later learn about the walls.  That is what they're showing, rather than telling.

Furthermore, if we had seen they being wiped out, would we care?  No.  Because this is Eren's story, so we have to understand the Titans through Eren, which means that we, like he, only see casualties and crying mothers, until the day Zhiganshina falls.

This is showing rather than telling.  It's just showing you something you don't expect, because like any good monster story this isn't a story about the Titans, it's a story about human response to an existential threat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: August 21, 2013, 01:29:14 pm »

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

Now for an unrelated note: does it bug anyone else how much anime breaks the rule of "show, don't tell"? Let's take SnK/AoT for an example. Remember that prologue action sequence? Two dozen elite scouts go up against a single Titan, at night when they're supposed to be slow and sluggish. It barely even seems to take notice of the scouts or horses. The last moment we see of the battle, one of the scouts is perfectly set up and moving in for the kill.

Then next we see them, they took 80% casualties? Utterly failed to kill it? What, did they all throw themselves under the titan's feet? We never see what the fuck happened, but it just makes them look utterly incompetent.

Another example, further in the series and thus spoilered:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These two examples, along with a dozen other cases of horrific tactical thinking, makes it seem like humans are being wiped out due to their own stupidity rather than any real threat the titans represent. Maybe the manga is different.
episode 6 manga-wise? the walls were safe (excluding breathing down armored titan) but most people were pulled back to defend the section.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: August 21, 2013, 01:34:56 pm »

Or it underlines that they're throwing themselves at suicide missions (as is supported in dialogue), and we're supposed to ask what it means for Eren to want that so badly, and why this is a societally supported institution.  Understanding that humanity is in grave danger meshes well with the data we later learn about the walls.  That is what they're showing, rather than telling.

Furthermore, if we had seen they being wiped out, would we care?  No.  Because this is Eren's story, so we have to understand the Titans through Eren, which means that we, like he, only see casualties and crying mothers, until the day Zhiganshina falls.

This is showing rather than telling.  It's just showing you something you don't expect, because like any good monster story this isn't a story about the Titans, it's a story about human response to an existential threat.
What I mean is that they failed to show how they're screwing up so badly, how the scouting missions are getting wiped out so often. These missions don't have to be anywhere near as suicidal as they seem to be, if what I've been able to gather via the show and TVTropes means anything.

Remember when one of Eren's squadmates is about to be eaten? He still has both of his swords AND both arms free, and yet all he does is sort of wave them threateningly. He could have cut himself free with ease; another character does it in maybe half a second! Eren's freaking broken-legged unarmed mother puts up more of a struggle! Titans with someone in their grip are seemingly oblivious to anything else and take all the time in the world to start eating, meaning it should be easy for another squadmate to swoop in for the rescue! And yet they insist on dying like flies in situations where none of them needed to or should have died.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking this. I can willingly suspend disbelief for the abilities of the titans, the maneuver gear, certain spoilers...just about everything except for how the humans keep fucking up situations that should be un-fuckupable.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: August 21, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »

Eren's freaking broken-legged unarmed mother puts up more of a struggle!

Sidenote: Notice how she kicked her legs as she struggled?

She was lying about having broken legs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: August 21, 2013, 01:52:28 pm »

What I mean is that they failed to show how they're screwing up so badly, how the scouting missions are getting wiped out so often.

They're scared.  They're lacking in courage, remember?  "Fear is the mind-killer" and all that.

Yeah.  I also loved how she forced herself not to tell them to come back (I'd figured something was up when she wasn't making horrible wounded noises over her crushed legs).  That was amazing...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:05 pm »

...WHOA. Thanks for pointing that out, wouldn't have noticed that myself. Wow.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »

I did notice that, actually. I assume she either lied or somehow managed to kick despite the pain and brokeness.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: August 21, 2013, 01:59:18 pm »

Not sure if you've had/seen seriously broken bones before, but it's not that you can't move the limb because of pain. You can't move them because the muscles and tendons are connected to bone fragments, and don't have anything solid to move against anymore. Basically, crushed limbs are noodles made out of meat.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: August 21, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »

Leaving aside the obvious explanation of conservation of ninjutsu, there's also what we see of the training in the series. I don't recall any sort of psych evaluation or training to help the soldiers better cope with the sort of existential crisis that comes along with fighting inhuman monstrosities that exist (apparently) solely to eat you and everyone you know. That, and in the training montage episodes they apparently don't train in small-group tactics, but rather compete for the kills, as in the combat exercise in the forest with the dummy Titans. They aren't preparing their soldiers for the shock of seeing friends and comrades killed and eaten, and they aren't training them to work together as a cohesive unit.

That, and with a few exceptions the most skilled recruits are also the farthest from the front lines. This exacerbates the issue by removing skilled fighters from the battle. Their front-line soldiers are a combination of the borderline-suicidal recon corps, composed primarily of those who are lucky enough to live long enough to become skilled fighters, and the wall guard, composed primarily of the mediocre recruits (who have apparently not been taught even basic squad tactics).

They don't fight as cohesive units, they fight as individuals. They are more warrior than soldier, and in a situation where combat is a very high-risk situation, most aren't going to live very long. That leaves aside those who abandon their posts to hide, and those who do the same to blindly attack. When they engage a Titan or group of the same, they all charge individually and swarm them. It doesn't explain everything away, but it goes a long way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 2193