Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078499 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14520 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:02 am »

I am sort of talking about the Anime... but the anime was never completed. Yet honestly I still consider the Visual novel to hit the same point of plot absurdity as it spirals into oblivion.

The fact that it has a weak ending surprises me not at all.

"I still think there's a character in the second set of stories that you'd really like, incidentally"

My favorite character was original Beatrice anyhow... She wasn't important but she was the master manipulator who played everyone constantly without someone telling you.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14521 on: August 16, 2013, 06:23:15 am »

It is because of the demographic in Japan of people who watch anime and read manga. Though the test I like to give is just take the ages of the main characters.

MOST of the time if the protagonist is an adult it was made for an adult with a few exceptions.

Bah, true enough. Back in the 90's or so I guess it was dealt with more seriously. Honestly the medium as a whole has been on a serious downward trend and I feel the problem is that everything is aimed towards teenagers and otaku, the Catch-22 being that those are the only people buying it to begin with. So you reach the same sort of situation that America has where you can't make a serious, well designed cartoon because adults consider the entire medium only for children and will just ignore it anyway.

Unfortunately all the other media coming out of America recently has also been horrible, so there is actually nothing to watch on TV.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14522 on: August 16, 2013, 06:29:04 am »

Unfortunately all the other media coming out of America recently has also been horrible, so there is actually nothing to watch on TV.

It is probably due to a few things but probably the move to cheaper animation... As well as the Comedy saturation that ensures that 99.9% of all cartoons on television right now are comedies, and if they aren't entirely a comedy then they are at least sub-comedy.

Heck even My Little Pony is at least part comedy

Then with child live action shows the issue is that they are terrible but also they are now just flat out star vehicles... Ohh yeah they are also ALL straight forward Comedies.

Then with Adult cartoons they are all... Comedies...

And with Adult Live action shows they are split between reality shows (which are terrible), Comedies, and Dramas of which most are brainless.

Yeah I am going to say this now... I watch anime for variety of concepts, ideas, and genres. There is only so many episodic comedies I can watch before I want to watch a continuous show about a wandering pastry chef who wants to save a town by opening a famous restaurant and attracting people from around the world.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:33:15 am by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14523 on: August 16, 2013, 10:15:57 am »

Giant Robots vs. Monsters (insects)
The collapse of human civilization
People with serious issues, twisted moralities, etc.
Some unsettling and bizarre music

YUP YOU KNOW ME PRETTY WELL

In terms of anime, Mononoke, but it may be a bit too offbeat, strangely styled, and each chapter has a long startup time before it gets going. The last three episodes of Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror are technically the beginning of the series and are where to start.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I loved the pants off this one, too.  Also Mushishi and stuff are pretty great.  Loved Inu-Yasha (manga only...) when I was a kid, too.

Thanks for your suggestions, y'all.  I'll start lookin' through 'em~  They all look pretty great.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14524 on: August 16, 2013, 10:39:37 am »

Have you looked into Nasu's works? Fate/stay Night and Tsukihime?
I've finished Fate/Stay Night, and I have Tsukihime downloaded! Haven't played it yet though. It was on the play-list after Rewrite :).

I don't think there's any danger of that!  MLE->MLU->MLA is the order but if you find yourself hating MLE you can probably just skip it and read a plot summary.  MLA does have some very good parts but I think overall the series has way too many boring or actively painful to read scenes.  It's worse than FSN in that regard and that's really saying something.
Hmm... maybe I will watch a few of the scenes on youtube and see if they aren't too insufferable! Thanks for the help with the order.

I'd recommend Higurashi because it's generally good and the ending explains everything brilliantly (this is very rare for a VN).  Umineko is also good but the ending is weaker.
Thanks for the suggestion as well! Looking at the summary: Horror and Mystery? Sounds like something I would enjoy. Though, I reallllly suck at figuring stuff out. I always got the first bad end in girl of the shell until I gave up and looked at the guide.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14525 on: August 16, 2013, 11:06:59 am »

They're both linear so it's not like you'll need a guide for them.  And I think you can appreciate the way Higurashi unfolds even if you didn't work it out in advance.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14526 on: August 16, 2013, 11:18:07 am »

^ That

In a similar vein: I love monsters.  Give me something amazing with 'em.  Please? <3 <3 <3
I can't remember if you've seen Attack on Titan yet, if not then it matches up with what you want pretty well.
I'll second this. My sister suggested it and I ended up watching the first ten episodes only stopping because the sun came up. I was pretty bored of shounen too, but it grabbed me well enough.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14527 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:22 am »

To be honest, part of the reason why I really like SnK is that it straddles the line between seinen and shonen very well, without giving in to the annoying excesses of either.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14528 on: August 16, 2013, 04:12:14 pm »

Hiya, anime thread! VN's get discussed here too, right?
I have been working my way through VN's from the most popular list on the vndb (mainstream ftw! :P), and I was wondering what order I should be playing/ reading the muv-luv series in? Alternative is literally the best rated VN on the site and I wanted to give it a go some day, but I don't want to spoil myself if I end up liking the characters and wanting more :(.
Other than that, any recc's on what I should have a look at? I have read (off the top of my head) all KEY VN's bar rewrite and kanon (fakeedit: oh! and Air); finished Steins;Gate a few hours ago; Saya no Uta was done last week, as was Katawa- and Karano- Shoujo. Hey, it's summer break; I have lots of free time that I should be spending socializing (or so my classmates would have me believe).
Damn you work fast.

Okay, Leafsnail pretty much answered the other stuff but Rewrite isn't actually that bad.  If you could tolerate all of the other Key games you'll probably look at Rewrite as that "really odd F/sn wanna-be", that's not to say every scene is a blast to read either though.  I'd also like to say it's longer than F/sn which is just ridiculous.

Saya no Uta is okay, make sure to check out Hanachirasu and Kikokugai as well.  I especially like Kikokugai.

I would definitely check out Higurashi and Umineko too of course.  And maybe some Higanbana and Rose Guns Days after for good measure.

Fate/hollow and Mahoyo should be coming soon too!

Franken Fran does spring to mind as a manga with legitimately disturbing artwork sometimes, but it's a weird sort of dark comedy series. Definitely NSFW, but also potentially traumatizing for small children.
Claymore also counts, but is a fantasy series. The monsters get progressively more bizarre as it goes along.
Dorohedoro? The main character is a lizardman with a face inside his mouth who goes around biting people's heads and asking them questions.
Parasyte, about aliens taking over people's bodies.
Dorohedoro is very good.  Parasyte is pretty good too.  I haven't read Franken Fran or Claymore yet.

I actually caught up with Onepunch Man last night.  It's pretty good I wasn't expecting a super hero parody even though that should be obvious...I like how all the generics get some sort of detail or treatment even though most of them are bit players.

As for other stuff uh...watched LotGH over the summer (incredibly great), read and watched JoJo over the summer (pretty goooood), read a bunch of manga I've probably forgotten (like Watashitachi blah blah).  I also finished Hoshimemo a few months ago, it's not very good.  Like probably the worst I've read besides Little Busters.

I played a lot of Symphonic Rain and YU-NO waiting for stuff to come out since they're literally the last high-rated VNs in English I haven't touched much of.  I've finished two routes in both before Grisaia no Kajitsu got its patch.

So I'm only like half done with both, but I'd probably want to give my mid-way impressions.

Symphonic Rain - a rather boring, if not sometimes moving story with a really fucking hard rhythm mini-game.  I hear there's some big twists in the true route stuff, but I can't imagine it getting too much better.  It's not that bad though.
YUNO - YUNO is just ridiculous.  It's a PC-98 adventure game (which I've played quite a few at this point *cough* every single Alicesoft one *cough*) with I can't say the most appealing art but the story can be pretty good and I've been spooked at least once a route and that's cool.  My worst compliant is it's way too ecchi with a lot of CGs having panty shots or something retarded.  Everything else is pretty good.  I like adventure games...

Anyway, started Grisaia around the time of the patch (I played the demo last year as I was oddly curious) and well...I don't know.

Grisaia no Kajitsu has many many many many VN traits I do not like.  Akabesoft fall into this too.  Voiceless protagonist, a harem setting, very shiny cutesy graphics, but Grisaia is weird.  I've finished Yumiko's route and I'm quite a ways into Makina's route and by gods what is this being.

The writing/translation is incredible.  I dislike most of the characters most of the time, the art and audio vary between okay and displeasing, the storytelling is usually either non-existent or melodramatic and contrived, but gods be gods the writing man.  I've cried playing both of the routes I've done in Grisaia now.  I'm not sure if that's because I'm an emotionally broken and sensitive person or if I'm in a rut right now and it's picking at my wounds, but every route has impressed me so far with its thought-provoking breakdowns, internal monologues and anecdotes, bizarre happenstances and occurrences.  It's the surrealist thing ever.  You think it wouldn't affect you, but it does and when you explain it to somebody they're like "what the fuck is this shit? sounds dumb lol" and you just sigh loudly.

Welp there's my impression, not sure how it'll change in the coming weeks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14529 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »

Picked up the "Gundam Movie Collection" (Which has the three movies covering the original series, Char's Counterattack, and the MS team movie, the last of which is surplus because I also picked up the MS team series, which includes the movie) at the local used media store. They look like official releases, but I've encountered so many horrible Chinese bootlegs masquerading as the real release that I'm extremely wary. Are there any major points that the official relase would have that a bootleg might not (for example, a bootleg of Zeta Gundam had Char and Quattro treated as entirely seperate characters, both with new names, because the translator clearly didn't know Japanese and/or English very well.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14530 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:56 pm »

All this talk of OnePunch-Man got me to read it today...
I have no words.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14531 on: August 16, 2013, 09:43:46 pm »

I have no words.
Good or bad? I am curious, and might read it myself.

Though perhaps I should catch up to Kenichi first. (Gog the Apa-Agaard fight was fun to read. Especially Kenichi's part. And now I forgot the name of Agaard's disciple.)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14532 on: August 16, 2013, 09:52:07 pm »

I have no words.
Good or bad? I am curious, and might read it myself.

Though perhaps I should catch up to Kenichi first. (Gog the Apa-Agaard fight was fun to read. Especially Kenichi's part. And now I forgot the name of Agaard's disciple.)
Good, very good.
Both the plot and the art are amazing.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14533 on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »

You might want to read the original series. The art is pretty terrible, but the story is a lot farther along. The terrible art might be a dealbreaker for you, but I personally think that the story is good to make the lack acceptable.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14534 on: August 17, 2013, 04:05:04 am »

Fate/hollow and Mahoyo should be coming soon too!
I was in the same fansub group as the primary translator for Mahoyo (and he did some work on fate/hollow too, but by that time, the project was already pretty much dead) and while there is definitely some progress being made, we're still probably 6 months away from a full release. Fate/hollow's been a particularly rocky project -- progress has stalled several times, and I know a few months back there was some controversy where some people were just running lines through Google Translate to artificially raise the completion percentage. I have no idea what the status of that project is right now, but I'd be a little dubious of their figures.

On the other hand, after Mahoyo's finished, the translator plans on going back and finishing fate/hollow and giving it a proper treatment. It might be a while before that happens, but it'll happen eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 967 968 [969] 970 971 ... 2193