Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078599 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14475 on: August 13, 2013, 02:53:58 pm »

The more I watch Dragon Ball, the more I'm convinced the story is based off some heavily modified D&D game.

Isn't the story basically a really weird sci-fi pseudo-telling of Journey to the West?
Come on, the main character is even called Son Goku.

I do find it interesting that a LOT of characters steal Goku's moves from the story.

Eh? Which ones?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:39 pm »

The more I watch Dragon Ball, the more I'm convinced the story is based off some heavily modified D&D game.

Haha.  How so?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »

Isn't the story basically a really weird sci-fi pseudo-telling of Journey to the West?

I do find it interesting that a LOT of characters steal Goku's moves from the story.

Eh? Which ones?

The multiplication technique and the candy beam.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:37 pm »

Eh? Which ones?

The multiplication technique and the candy beam.

Ah yes I see what you mean. Hehe, I never thought of it that way before.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: August 13, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »

I also forgot... Goku could also transform... which Pigsy in Dragon Ball can do now.

It is kind of interesting in that sense. Heck Goku seems to have taken the character traits of the monk... Or I guess that isn't right.

Maybe it is more that everyone's personalities in Dragon Ball is the reverse of what they were in the story. So Pigsy who was a Prince is now a lazy pervert. While Wukong who was a prideful thief is now humble and pure of heart.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: August 13, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »

Oh Zhu Baijie was always a lazy perv, that's how he got kicked out of Heaven after all.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: August 13, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »

Oh Zhu Baijie was always a lazy perv, that's how he got kicked out of Heaven after all.

Ohh opps.

GOODNESS I watched censored versions.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:06:54 pm by Neonivek »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: August 13, 2013, 03:17:41 pm »

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: August 14, 2013, 02:40:07 am »

So I was watching Initial D and there is this girl in there who is basically a Creepy Stalker... She is so creepy I was surprised no one pointed it out.

I originally blamed it on the shows lack of self-awareness that somehow it thought the creepy girl was somehow endearing or that her obsession based only around a single look and having the same car was really enough to base a relationship over.

THEN however I started to remember the vast majority of anime where the male protagonist will feel irrevocably tied to the female lead because she said a nice thing that one time, even to the extent where he will give up his wellbeing because someone said a mean thing once.

This sort of seems like the vast majority of it tends to be geared towards the sort of people who would watch it... Immature people who don't understand the subtleties of the human relationship but instead want to jump straight into the "have a relationship" portion. Like the movie Enchanted except where it being a clear parody isn't known by the writers.

It is actually pretty funny because I am watching the Initial D dub and it is clear that the voice actress clearly read the script and realized how stalker obsessed she really is and thus gave her the voice and inflection to match (because that makes sense), thus actually managing to shake me out of my stupor long enough to sort of realize how hallow the relationship is and how much it actually treats it without any awareness of what it is.

It kind of makes me want to see an anime that involves a growing relationship that is actually mature and flows well... Yet of the two animes I've seen that do that one is too boring for its own good and one is my favorite anime of all time.

I think what hurt my love for animes the most is that when I started it was with the GOOD ones... I havn't even seen a mediocre anime. So whenever I watch one now I keep looking for it to grow beyond its stereotypes or to give us deep emotional resonance. Yet most anime, like most videogames, are lowest common denominator affairs that just use the bare minimum formula flaunting to get by.

It is probably why I talk about this so much, Initial D actually sort of reached a point where it kind of became boring and typing this is more entertainment then when I watched the show. The major problem with the anime is it became a bunch of Tell and not show. Where everyone is said to have supernatural megacar driving skills, yet the race somehow looks exactly like the one before it... and where the main character who's original pull to watch his races was the fact that he had an inferior car and thus each race was really tight, but now has, by all means, a professional racing car.

Thus I am so unengaged that even the insane ramblings of a girl who probably should be given a restraining order is actually the only thing of note I can even think of for the last 10 episodes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: August 14, 2013, 02:48:31 am »

Dohohoho.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: August 14, 2013, 03:06:55 am »

Dohohoho.
Damnit where do i keep that marriage proposal!?!?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: August 14, 2013, 03:08:15 am »

I am not sure if you are being intentionally ironic or not.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: August 14, 2013, 03:38:13 am »

I am not sure if you are being intentionally ironic or not.
yes :P

also, weirdest clothes bot up there

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:44 am »

It's a running joke.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: August 14, 2013, 05:09:17 am »

It's a running joke.

And yet immediately in synch with my conversation on how Anime relationships are written with the perspective of an immature audience who wouldn't know a healthy balanced relationship if it bit them in the arse and thus there is never self-awareness in how silly/stupid/insane/terrible the romantic interests are.
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 2193