Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078606 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14460 on: August 10, 2013, 11:32:33 pm »

I was baffled at this MangaFox argument, so I looked and Attack on Titan is most definitely available there.

Also I finished Chapter 23 and weird shit has started happening again. I am satisfied.

Spoiler: This (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure of the exact reason, but a large number of series on mangafox throw that up for me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: August 11, 2013, 12:01:08 am »

Man... I watched the intro to Steins;Gate and was totally turned off.  Anyone want to convince me it's worth seeing?
Vector please don't turn away from this anime, i rarely give endorsements for japanese stuff and this hits the mark. It takes a while to build up but its really worth it. Also listening to the english dub MC literally talks like Doctor Who.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: August 11, 2013, 12:39:16 am »

I'm not sure of the exact reason, but a large number of series on mangafox throw that up for me.

Since I'm pretty sure you're in the same city as me, that either rules out the location-based availability or means Mangafox thinks you're outside the US.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: August 11, 2013, 02:51:32 am »

Since I'm pretty sure you're in the same city as me, that either rules out the location-based availability or means Mangafox thinks you're outside the US.
I'm Australian, so its defiantly not "outside of US", unless you mean that its only for those outside of US that can read it...

why is there an unspoilered page of the most recent SnK chapter here
Because you lack the ability to actually read the posts previous, but regardless, I spoiled it...
Sorry if I actually did cause a spoiled moment for anyone, I was kinda a bit annoyed with being called something akin to a liar...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14464 on: August 11, 2013, 03:10:54 am »

Man... I watched the intro to Steins;Gate and was totally turned off.  Anyone want to convince me it's worth seeing?

There is a GIGANTIC genre shift about midway through the series. There are serious repercussions, not everyone gets a happy ending, and oh god if you extrapolate what's going on and if you empathize with one of the characters oh god

It's slice-of-life-y with a silly twist until the shift, and then you're just along for the ride. The beginning part is necessary, at least to me. Personally, I rank Steins;Gate up there with NGE and Code Geass. It really got to me, and I think it's a very interesting story.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: August 11, 2013, 03:41:39 am »

I liked  Okabe and the OP is cool.  Otherwise I didn't find the characters or plot too great.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48:41 am »

I'm Australian, so its defiantly not "outside of US", unless you mean that its only for those outside of US that can read it...
Nah, PoH and I live in the same city. The best bad guess I could make would be that it has something to do with my ISP.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: August 11, 2013, 12:58:04 pm »

There is a GIGANTIC genre shift about midway through the series. There are serious repercussions, not everyone gets a happy ending, and oh god if you extrapolate what's going on and if you empathize with one of the characters oh god

It's slice-of-life-y with a silly twist until the shift, and then you're just along for the ride. The beginning part is necessary, at least to me. Personally, I rank Steins;Gate up there with NGE and Code Geass. It really got to me, and I think it's a very interesting story.

Yeah, Steins;Gate is easily one of my favorite anime, but I'm a sucker for time travel stories in general. I can see how some of the silly slice-of-life stuff might turn some people off, but it's pretty integral to the series, much like, I don't know, Higurashi's silly comedy.

I just finished playing Muv-Luv Extra and Muv-Luv Unlimited and I think I'm like 3/4 of the way through Muv-Luv Alternative. I don't think I've ever had a series make such a drastic change in direction, but it's fantastic. I was bored by most of Muv-Luv Extra, but the fresh setting in Muv-Luv Unlimited drew me back in, even though the character interactions were mostly more of the same. Then Muv-Luv Alternative happened and holy shit I can't stop reading.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:06:41 pm by Malus »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: August 11, 2013, 01:03:19 pm »

Comparing the VNs, Steins;Gate is a large improvement over Chaos;Head, but it's also longer and the build-up is slower.  JAST USA are planning to release an official translation of the game which will probably be the best version to play yourself.

Also I agree that the latter half can be pretty neat, but it doesn't reach like, Higurashi Kai gripping levels...

EDIT:
Higurashi's silly comedy.
I seem to remember finding the comedy in the early games pretty annoying or boring, but by Kai I loved them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:06:49 pm by ToonyMan »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: August 11, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »

Okay, I'll watch.  I was just initially turned off by the sudden drop into philosophy without context or explanation for why I should care.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: August 13, 2013, 11:29:22 am »

You can always read the original draft or webcomic or whatever the original is. It's call Onepunch Man(ONE) in the manga site I go to.

Doesn't look as good but gets you the whole story. It's up to chapter 92 now.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:43 pm »

The more I watch Dragon Ball, the more I'm convinced the story is based off some heavily modified D&D game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14472 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »

The more I watch Dragon Ball, the more I'm convinced the story is based off some heavily modified D&D game.

Haha.  How so?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: August 13, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »

Isn't the story basically a really weird sci-fi pseudo-telling of Journey to the West?
Come on, the main character is even called Son Goku.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: August 13, 2013, 02:38:38 pm »

Isn't the story basically a really weird sci-fi pseudo-telling of Journey to the West?
Come on, the main character is even called Son Goku.

I do find it interesting that a LOT of characters steal Goku's moves from the story.
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 2193