Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079443 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14145 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:58 am »

Phoenix Wright was a satire (they had something like a 99%+ conviction rate at that point, so any attorney who could win 4 cases within a year was truly worthy of being called "ace"), although the justice system changed pretty dramatically since the first 3 games were made.  That said, the Japanese death penalty is pretty rare and probably wouldn't be applied in most Conan cases (except maybe the multiple murder ones and the occasional horrifyingly slow alibi trick death)

Its not like they can expect much positiveness... from the justice system?  If you take it from the culprit's viewpoint anyways.
That's true, but with the culprit alive you feel like there's at least a chance of people getting closure and perhaps redemption.

Mmmm good point though bringing it back to the original topic of why the culprits in detective animes commits suicide so much...
I really don't think it's an anime thing at all, it happens in all kinds of detective shows.  It often feels like a lazy way to wrap up a case that might otherwise have been tricky to deal with in court.

Okay, so has anybody around here heard of Danganronpa? Just saw the first episode of the animation (and then desperately fiddled with emulators and failed...I really want to know what happens!), and it's super awesome.
There's a complete Let's Play! of it, which should be going to the LP archive pretty soon.  I felt that the game as a whole didn't really live up to its early promises in spite of being pretty fun all the way through.

Also, anyone want to help me out? I just remembered, pretty vividly, a young adult novel I read a long while back. I am pretty sure it was originally in Japanese, but I found it at my library (that I don't live anywhere near any more or I'd scour the shelves). It had a blue-haired anime-style character on the front, and was a mystery about a murder that took place on a mysterious island with multiple genius people on it. Vague, I know, sorry. Random other bits I recall are the spilling of paint all over the floor, and the use of the protagonist's trench coat to cross over the paint without leaving a mark, and the protagonist's friend was a super-computer geek. Blagh, if you know what it is I'd love you.
I'd strongly recommend checking vndb.  They have pretty much every VN ever and also a lot of things that obviously are not VNs just in case.  The Island and Mystery tags would probably help.

e: If you found it in a library I'm guessing you can ignore anything with an NSFW cover

e2: You can also sort by date and only check the ones that got English translations
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:15:20 am by Leafsnail »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14146 on: July 09, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »

Also, anyone want to help me out? I just remembered, pretty vividly, a young adult novel I read a long while back. I am pretty sure it was originally in Japanese, but I found it at my library (that I don't live anywhere near any more or I'd scour the shelves). It had a blue-haired anime-style character on the front, and was a mystery about a murder that took place on a mysterious island with multiple genius people on it. Vague, I know, sorry. Random other bits I recall are the spilling of paint all over the floor, and the use of the protagonist's trench coat to cross over the paint without leaving a mark, and the protagonist's friend was a super-computer geek. Blagh, if you know what it is I'd love you.
I'd strongly recommend checking vndb.  They have pretty much every VN ever and also a lot of things that obviously are not VNs just in case.  The Island and Mystery tags would probably help.

e: If you found it in a library I'm guessing you can ignore anything with an NSFW cover

e2: You can also sort by date and only check the ones that got English translations

Awesome, thanks.

On Danganronpa, I started reading the Let's Play last night, it's pretty well done, videos and sound clips and everything. I was a little sad that I figured out the mystery before anything exciting was even found, but hey, it was only the first trial. The story is  more disturbing then I expected it to be, though, and that's saying something.

Spoiler: Danganronpa (click to show/hide)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14147 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:16 pm »

I thought Danganronpa was getting translated and released in North America and Europe next year.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14148 on: July 09, 2013, 11:37:35 pm »

Just got my copy of Persona 4 in the mail, been playing for a while now, and two things got my attention in my first session:

The intro is so lineeeeear. If it weren't for the fact that I've gotten past the first dungeon id've thought that the entire game was a dungeon crawler/visual novel. Luckily, it's starting to grow on me. The dungeon crawling and fast paced combat juxtaposed with the social link building makes for an interesting experience.

Secondly, I couldn't make a stupid name because the game requires a first and last name. My first, second, and third ideas for names were all "Kempachi Ramasama", but I came up with the idea of calling the protagonist "Senpaiii" (SURELY NOBODY ELSE HAS THOUGHT OF THIS NAME, I MUST BE SOME SORT OF GENIUS). Once I learned that I needed a first and last name, I went with "G Gamer", meaning everybody calls me "G".

still, good game so far. Can't wait to sink more hours into it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14149 on: July 10, 2013, 02:13:19 am »

I completely agree that the beginning was very linear. For how much freedom you get in 95% of the game, that first 5% is extremely misleading as it places you on a very slow paced railway ride so that the game has time to pour all it's initial exposition on you.

And my good friend's name was Kenpachi Ramasama as well. It's the untold horror that Two Best Friends have wrought upon the Persona 4 community.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14150 on: July 10, 2013, 02:20:21 am »

You might like Person of Interest.  It's a live-action drama about preventing crimes before they happen.

My problem isn't so much that I dislike the fact that detectives tend not to stop crimes before time it happens... but rather... well let me give a scenario:

Detective Tube went to the Castle to solve the murder of the King. Along with this the Queen dies as well as the prince. The only one remaining is the princess.

Now Detective Tube being a standard anime character attempts to solve the murders of these people and in the mean time the Princess is killed after she was left alone in an empty hallway finally solving the mystery for him. He confronts the murderer and they commit suicide while killing a random person.

The Princess' death in the end was extremely avoidable and should have been a priority over solving the case and the perp and random person's lives were also extremely avoidable.

This is what watching Kindaichi and a lot of other detective animes are like. The deaths are so avoidable, especially for people supposedly so smart, that they just feel needless.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14151 on: July 10, 2013, 06:59:07 am »

This is what watching Kindaichi and a lot of other detective animes are like. The deaths are so avoidable, especially for people supposedly so smart, that they just feel needless.
Hmmm, maybe it's in-character? Does he seem like the non-emphatic type/ one to not show sympathy & is too focused solely at the case before him & doesn't really see the victims as people and the events as simply clues to solve the problem?

You know, the type to go "Oh, that's horrible" but seems to quickly go analytical & usually doesn't bother to be emotional.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14152 on: July 10, 2013, 08:18:57 am »

Ignoring that nearly all detective shows are like that...

No he isn't like that, he tends to be quite friendly with others. He usually has several "I WILL solve that case!" after deaths as well as usually clinging onto one of the would be victims as his inspiration (Who will ALWAYS be the victim and/or perpetrator)

As well sometimes he has a police detective with him as well or a police officer and they don't think of these "lets not have everyone die" plans either.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14153 on: July 11, 2013, 02:39:22 am »

I just finished Gargantia on the verdious planet. It's a show i'd highly recommend, cant say much more without spoiling, which is what's going in below.
Spoiler: Gargantia (click to show/hide)

Cool show anyway. Anyone have any suggestions for similar shows?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #14154 on: July 11, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »

Oh hey, I need to watch the finale of that.

Speaking of mech animes, anyone know of animes that don't involve the mechs looking like giant robomen? Something like Hawken's gritty scrapped together mech design or District 9's gritty sci-fi atmosphere?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14155 on: July 11, 2013, 07:11:27 pm »

Oh hey, I need to watch the finale of that.

Speaking of mech animes, anyone know of animes that don't involve the mechs looking like giant robomen? Something like Hawken's gritty scrapped together mech design or District 9's gritty sci-fi atmosphere?

Only thing I can think of is Casshern Sins, but that's less mech and more robots.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14156 on: July 11, 2013, 10:17:36 pm »

Patlabor would be a good one, the bots there were designed for hard labor/construction, the police division exists with retrofitted bots to counter anyone that hijacks the construction bots.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14157 on: July 12, 2013, 09:56:44 am »

//Puts on a failed attempt at the Movie Man Voice//

Imagine a world, a world where in Russia they discover this force. A Power that exists all around us but can not be seen or felt. I force that is so powerful that when manipulated a human can produce results that fathom on the Magical stage. Imagine if you will we bring Magic back into the limelight with Technology as its guiding force. Imagine that this power is simply Mana...

YESS ITS THAT TIME AGAIN!!!
NEYVN'S! MANGA! OF! THE! WEEK!!!!
(Over exaggerated screaming crowd in the background)

Anyway...

City of Dead Sorcerer - http://mangafox.me/manga/city_of_dead_sorcerer/
A Korean Mahwah (NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SPELL THAT) about, well basically what I said before, in 2013 (LOL) a group of Russian Scientists discovered a magical force that surrounds us at all times, which they slapped on a Scientfic name of letters and numbers, that eventually became known as Mana. Through devices, with the first made by "Samsong", a normal human could use this Mana and Magic of all kinds. A simple Source/Device/Results system which used Mana through the device to produce magic. Naturally they quickly transfered this ability to that of Mobiles such as the YPhone7 which you bought Spells in the form of Apps allowing you to cast on the go (with time delays). Mana is Used up with this device but it slowly recovers through the day, the City that the Manga exsists in has an amount of 80MPP...

But after a few problems of out of control spells (Fire spell resulting in a Mass Fire killing hundreds) and so forth, many spells became banned for public use, some even requiring paperwork as tall as a normal Korean man to be filled out to even get access too, and with this spells large amounts of MPP would be used, so naturally when you first look at it, if anyone was able to get their hands on a Dangerous Spell, clues would be easy to find...

Until of course a Vigilante appears...

This Mahwua is a great tale of Magic and its uses. 8/10
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14158 on: July 12, 2013, 11:42:18 am »

I thought Danganronpa was getting translated and released in North America and Europe next year.

It is, but I don't have a Vita/PSP/whatever it will be released on, so I will stick to the anime and Let's Play.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14159 on: July 12, 2013, 12:03:18 pm »

It is, but I don't have a Vita/PSP/whatever it will be released on, so I will stick to the anime and Let's Play.

Fair enough.

So, what's the deal with Psycho-Pass? Anyone have words to say about it?
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 2193