Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079529 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14130 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:47 pm »

I also watched the first 3 seasons of Initial D. Who'd have thought what was basically an anime version of 2fast2furious would be so interesting.

Drift all the things.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: July 08, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »

Initial D is amazing.  I thought I'd hate it, but somehow... somehow...

Dat Eurobeat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14132 on: July 08, 2013, 09:43:52 pm »

Initial D is amazing.  I thought I'd hate it, but somehow... somehow...

Dat Eurobeat.
Seen every single episode of the TV show, and loved every second of it. Glad they finally fixed everyone's mouths after season one. Seeing them from a profile always bothered me. Takumi's pops is the coolest guy I've ever seen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14133 on: July 08, 2013, 10:42:45 pm »

Actually I've just had another thought on this - Case Closed is the only show I've seen where the detective may actively takes measures to make sure that the culprit does not commit suicide after he reveals the truth.  So many detective stories end with the culprit dying needlessly and it's annoying.

This has probably severely spoiled me. Watching these other detective shows where no one attempts to prevent murders or even having a plan after they reveal themselves.

That previous anime I was talking about (the detective one about that highschool or college kid who solves murder mysteries) the detective never EVER puts a single ounce of effort in preventing problems before they start. To the extent that the number of people he actually saves in 21 episodes is 2 (and only after they were injured) where the murder count is nearly as high as the episode count. In fact he never stops any of the villains murder sprees.

It was to the extent that the episode where someone just freeked out because of all the murders... picks up a shotsgun and barricades himself in a cabin I found myself actually rooting for him. Since yeah he was only trying to prevent his own murder, but he is the only character who actively attempted to prevent a murder before it happened.

I think suffice it to say the problem with most detective shows in general is they make the detective purely an observer. They never try to prevent a murder, they never try to stop the murderer from killing more, heck they rarely try to make it easier to catch the perp, and they never try to stop the murderer from killing themselves. It makes them come off as the smartest moron ever!

Heck I laugh every time a detective calls the perp out and goes "Ohhh yeah, you can have a deadly weapon and try to kill me can't you?". I mean they killed someone with a gun, why wouldn't they have a gun?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:53:38 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: July 08, 2013, 10:53:58 pm »

You might like Person of Interest.  It's a live-action drama about preventing crimes before they happen.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14135 on: July 08, 2013, 11:00:46 pm »

You might like Person of Interest.  It's a live-action drama about preventing crimes before they happen.
So, Minority Report?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14136 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:20 pm »

Haven't heard of that *shrug*

This one has Michael Emerson :D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14137 on: July 09, 2013, 12:39:35 am »

*snip*  So many detective stories end with the culprit dying needlessly and it's annoying.
Its not like they can expect much positiveness... from the justice system?  If you take it from the culprit's viewpoint anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: July 09, 2013, 12:41:53 am »

Specially the Japanese justice system
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14139 on: July 09, 2013, 01:05:30 am »

Specially the Japanese justice system
this is what i know about the Japanese justice system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxDjAmLDk1Q

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14140 on: July 09, 2013, 02:47:14 am »

To my knowledge the Japanese justice system is actually good.

But given I don't know too much except it is a evidence based system and that police can only use deadly force should the perp use deadly force (which is why the Power Rangers never squash the villain likely)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14141 on: July 09, 2013, 04:20:21 am »

for one thing it assumes guilty until proven innocent, still has the death penalty, and merely investigating someone can be tantamount to destroying their social life. And ideas like the possibilities of the police  getting dishonest confessions or anything like that is considered pretty much unthinkable and so gets brushed under the rug unless theres damning evidence of it having occurred.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:34:48 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14142 on: July 09, 2013, 04:53:48 am »

Okay, so has anybody around here heard of Danganronpa? Just saw the first episode of the animation (and then desperately fiddled with emulators and failed...I really want to know what happens!), and it's super awesome. Premise is...probably a little cliche actually. 15 super-successful high school students are locked into a private school for the very best. The only way to be allowed to leave the school is, of course, to murder one of your fellow classmates. Breaking any of the school rules will result in severe corporal punishment by the principal, a stuffed bear.

Only exposition so far, but I'm excited to see what will come.
---

Also, anyone want to help me out? I just remembered, pretty vividly, a young adult novel I read a long while back. I am pretty sure it was originally in Japanese, but I found it at my library (that I don't live anywhere near any more or I'd scour the shelves). It had a blue-haired anime-style character on the front, and was a mystery about a murder that took place on a mysterious island with multiple genius people on it. Vague, I know, sorry. Random other bits I recall are the spilling of paint all over the floor, and the use of the protagonist's trench coat to cross over the paint without leaving a mark, and the protagonist's friend was a super-computer geek. Blagh, if you know what it is I'd love you.   
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14143 on: July 09, 2013, 06:59:48 am »

for one thing it assumes guilty until proven innocent

Innocent until proven guilty is more of a tenant created that is meant to set out how we will treat those accused of crimes and how much we will side with the accused when it comes to a verdict.

It exists for philosophical reasons that drive our justice system but not for legislative reasons. It is not really something that is a requirement for a "good" justice system. So long as a system has strong guidelines for the treatment of the accused, their rights, and a proper way to handle evidence it is a good justice system.

Given I live in a country with both "Innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" and with both police officers and magistrates (You know Judge Dred? he is accurately a magistrate), I know there are ways to have a different yet equal justice system.

Now if Japan lacks a strong moral compass for the treatment of the accused, I don't know. If it doesn't then Phoenix Wright is a satire.

merely investigating someone can be tantamount to destroying their social life

That sounds like it more or less has to do with the justice system and more to do with Japan's extremely up tightness.

Heck there are a lot of professions where you are shunned just for taking them (and they aren't seedy jobs either... they are like being an actor)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:01:59 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14144 on: July 09, 2013, 07:38:18 am »

Mmmm good point though bringing it back to the original topic of why the culprits in detective animes commits suicide so much...
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 2193